Skid Pan and Straight Line track

Discussion in 'Locations' started by Mindbomb, May 11, 2015.

1. Mindbomb

Mindbomb Registered

Has anyone made a circular skid pan, with indicated circumference lines marked on it?

I'd quite like to be able to take a car out, stick it on a constant radius trajectory and start playing with roll bars, suspension settings and suchlike so that I can feel what the car is doing without adding much of my driving into the mix. Anything which has a bumpy area and a smooth area gets bonus points!

I'd also quite like a straight track (perhaps a very long oval - a mile or two on the straights and large banked curves) for testing wings, grilles, braking distances and suchlike.

Apparently, something along these lines is available for other sims, but rF2 is where I like to live so having something like this would allow me to experiment with the set-up of a car whilst not influencing the outcome with some crap driving on my behalf.

Is there anything like this already out there already? Searching for "Skid Pan" doesn't turn much up so it's quite possible that this is already available and I'm entirely unaware of it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2015
  2. Phathry25

Phathry25 Registered

The weather doesn't look like it's going to be real cooperative for any outdoor activity after work today. Might as well stare at a computer screen for a few hours and churn something out for you. Don't expect any scenery. :)

3. Mindbomb

Mindbomb Registered

Smashing! I very much appreciate anything you can turn out!

I'm kinda surprised nothing exists already...

4. deak1944

deak1944 Guest

Look at Lime Rock. There is a skid pad in back of the school building.

5. smbrm

smbrm Registered

Yes, there was an rf1 track which was just a really really long straight with a turn around at both ends. It would be great to have it converted to rf2 or something similar. I do recall the Rf1 version disqualified the car because the start line direction was going the wrong way. And no a skid pad and a straight do not require scenery, they just need to be fit for purpose.

6. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

Search for TestFacility

7. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I'd love some sort of skid pad as well. :cool:

8. smbrm

smbrm Registered

Thanks, but That link doesn't work anymore?

9. Phathry25

Phathry25 Registered

So the weather turned around, and I was able to get out for a ride. :) After that I still put a bit of time into it. Right now I have a flat skid pad, and a 850m straight track with markers for accel and braking. (up to 200m) I will add a slightly banked skid pad, and some slalom courses soon. I'd say by the end of the week. The whole packaging dealio is still beyond me, or else I would just pack up what I have now for you. But since it promises to be such a drawn out process I might as well make something worthy of claiming as my own.

Honestly I wasted more time trying to get a folder setup for the track than I did working on it. I don't know what in the world I am missing, but this always happens. So as of now it's working of off the one miraculous track folder that I have been able to get to work, so the naming might end up being really dumb unless I can figure that out. LOL.

[​IMG]

10. coops

coops Banned

skid pan and some areas for ppl wanting to learn how to drift would be great.

11. smbrm

smbrm Registered

I think the rfactor 1 straight track was called "damn straight" or something similar, and it was like "several miles"(10?)long! That allowed for several runs on a stint to get some statistics.

12. matf1

matf1 Registered

Are you aware of this sub Component and Mod Packaging
    and Noel's wonderful tools?

13. Phathry25

Phathry25 Registered

I've seen it. I usually struggle to get the tracks packaged, but after a few attempts hit the sweet spot. My hold up here is in creating the track folder and files to even get the track working in DevMode. Like I said, I have one folder setup that magically works, trying to copy it and change all the references never seems to work. I'll probably resort to posting the working track over there and see if they can identify my stupidity.

Thanks for the tip.

14. Mindbomb

Mindbomb Registered

Phantry25 - you are my hero. As I slide off the pan, backwards, I'll be thinking of you!

Thanks very much - I, and others, eagerly await your packaging efforts.

15. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I am sure someone will be willing to help you with packaging and perhaps adding some background scenery. And making it a 8,500 m test straight instead of 850 ;)

16. boblevieux

boblevieux Registered

17. Mindbomb

Mindbomb Registered

18. Phathry25

Phathry25 Registered

Will a 8.5km test ring work instead?

What are the common slalom distances in meters? I found car and drivers 600' test, but it seems silly to have an Imperial slalom course and everything else be metric.

19. smbrm

smbrm Registered

The really long straights are so you can go from zero to max spread and hold 3 or 4 times to do aero work. 8-10km down and 8-10 back, two really long drag strips with a turn around loops of minimum radius to deal with cars up to the largest minimum turn radius. The corners are only important to turn around so you can run the opposite direction(wind direction etc.).
    What would be cool would be to have a rolling road wind tunnel, but it is probably way easier to build two long straights with turnarounds. Just trying to make suggestions that maximize the utility of your facility.

20. Phathry25

Phathry25 Registered

Okay. Here's a quick and dirty version so you guys can start testing. My vision is to add some side by side slalom lanes, and an autocross layout. I will also add layouts for each skid pad so you can time your laps around there if you'd like. Anything else anyone can think of that I should add?

https://www.mediafire.com/?ztz8itm3cashbpz