Official Oculus Rift Consumer version one announcement

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, May 6, 2015.

1. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

This is where we need unlimited detail (Euclideon company) tech. Resolution and framerate and polygon count issues/concerns would become a thing of the past.

They have 2 games in development slated for 2015/16 release.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2015
  2. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

these guys usually have a good discussion/review etc :

http://youtu.be/KyrCt0kCCzo

my opinion :

-most people are not even thinking about input devices right now, when they really start to they'll already be a selection & the most popular will be from a co that doesn't even make VR headsets

-where is our ffb rifle (with tracking) ?

-oculus custom screens specially made for VR .....this is the biggie that no one seems to be mentioning that much

-E3 ....come on Valve lol! , + back to oculus will seriously need a CV1 vs DK2 opinion ( not vs crescent bay )

3. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

hiya dripper,

these guys keep posting these vids about every 3 years or so, nothing else seems to materialise from it,
    I pretty much think it's false claims , its rendered over a long period then played back whilst they claim with a voice over they have done something no one else has, maybe it's going to become a financial con too
    but I seriously hope to be wrong I really do

4. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Pretty confident it's not a hoax. Their tech is in actual use by the geospatial industry for the last 1-2 years.

But i can understand the doubt. They make some very extraordinary claims of being able to render unlimited detail (or so much detail that it's essentially the same to the human eye). But when you hear the explanation for how they addressed the problem of rendering point cloud date….it goes from sounding like the impossible to sounding quite plausible actually. Almost all the initial knee jerk claims of it being fake derived from those people either completely misunderstanding and/or misrepresenting how they approached the problem of rendering point cloud data.

Also, the chapel scenes in that video if they were fake would have been demonstrated so by now since they are over a year old.

And ofc whilst this is not bullet proof, i am convinced enough to not think it's all a scam:

One of the biggest detractors of Unlimited Detail some 5 years ago with their initial video was by Notch, the creator of minecraft. I remember his critic and analysis of the technology saying it was all a hoax and scam based on his reasoned explanation but it was riddled with many holes. I wrote a rather lengthy explanation of them all back when the incrysis forum was around. Long story short, he completely ignored that fact they claimed to render only as much point cloud data points as there were pixels on the screen and represented them as saying they render all the points (still no idea why he would/did though…seems like a very very rookie mistake). In one of the scene which was 1km x 1km of statues stacked on top of each other in a pyramid like structure, we were told the point cloud data/atom density and he reasoned that the total number of points was something in the 100's of TB's of data. He would have been right if the objects were filled with point cloud data on the inside also, forming a solid object but that makes absolutely no sense for them to have done, completely inefficient since you only see whats on the outside of the object (just like with the polygon based system). Re-calcuating the scene file size with the assumption that there was point cloud data on the outside surfaces of objects only and the estimated file size for all the point cloud data easily reduced down into the single/low-double digit GB's (which has since been confirmed by Euclideon). And there were a few other flaws in his logic but you get the picture.

Could it all still be a giant hoax? Until i see a game using their engine on my PC, sure…but it would be the greatest hoax i have ever witnessed.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2015
  5. Woodee

Woodee Registered

We may know a bit more at Oculus Connect 2 (if E3 this year tells us nothing more) "Loews Hotel in Hollywood, CA September 23-25th, 2015"

http://www1.oculus.com/connect/

6. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

So the resolution is the only big concern of Oculus Rift?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

7. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

interesting -although it's always the same story, like I say though I hope I'm wrong.
    they are achieving a lot though .....YouTube hits for one,
    "it suits us to disappear again" - just to re-emerge when the YouTube hits dry up, next time they'll maybe be talking about their imaginary software technology VR applications

they perhaps already work in the software industry or are enthusiasts , but their ongoing claims I don't buy it at all

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2015
  8. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Always will be... some people will never be happy until VR is fed directly into the brain ;)

9. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Just noticed the non circular lens/eye-ports on the cv1 in the reveal video:

[​IMG]

10. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Maybe they are made to this guy :)

11. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

12. PaulG

PaulG Registered

Looks kind of like a more hidden version of what's on the HTC developer edition. Probably a second lens that allows you to physically alter the IPD distance (unlike the DK2 which was fixed, hardware-wise, at 64mm).

13. blanes

blanes Registered

Custom made Fresnel lenses, trust me have tried & extremely awesome ! :cool:

14. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

interest FOV :)

15. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

read about this earlier, was holding off thinking to much about it, but will look at for E3 news

everything is moving very quickly hey, at this rate I wonder how many different vr headsets they'll be in another year or so

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2015
  16. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

Competition and choice can only be better for us for the future , I look forward to it .

17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Certainly is an exciting time, sort of akin to the first MP3 Players that came out in the late 1990s for me.

18. Bassman

Bassman Registered

The time for hype is now. I think it will be wise to wait until maybe even this time next year before making a purchase as there is a lot of dust to settle in this space. It is very exciting but it will be expensive to back the wrong horse so to speak. Longevity and future game/software support is key to me. It is very telling to me that Oculus can't get their product out before the Christmas season. Makes me think they know they have to go now but are not quite ready.

19. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

from someone who's had "hands on" apparently , as posted on reddet :

My experience with CV1 at E3 (self.oculus)

Here are my first impressions from my hands-on session with CV1 at the Oculus E3 booth. I though you guys would appreciate my experience with the headset besides the traditional press reviews. AMA for the curious ones or if I forgot anything! :)

Me
    DK1 & 2 owner. English isn't my native language so pleaze excuze my french!

First impressions
    After being invited to sit down on the chair (no standing experience) in one of the Oculus 'room' at the E3 booth, I was finally presented with the long-awaited CV1 (aleluia!). It's been a long time since the kickstarter.
    First thing, the headset is much lighter and sturdy. My work involves a bit of product design and I can tell that this thing is very well built, even for a pre-production unit. I was instructed to wear it as a baseball cap (back first), then tighten it to put the lenses in front of my eyes 'just like binoculars'. No more mess with the large elastic strap of the DK2, everything sits tight on my head. I grab the XboxOne controller and here we go.

Edge of Nowhere
    The Oculus Home appears, a mix of GearVR selection menu floating in front of me in a nice virtual living room. A selection of 7 different experiences appears. After debating with myself for a minute I go for 'Edge of Nowhere'.
    The demo lasts around 7 minutes. It is a 3rd person game with a camera that floats behind the character. It feels very intuitive to navigate and jump around in this frozen environment. I could get dizzy at times with the DK2 but this experience wasn't nausea inducing for the slightest and offers a good alternative to people struggling with first person games. The game is pretty much what you see on the videos (and it was awesome!) so I'll cut short and jump to more technical parts. Let's say that I could totally see myself play a couple hours straight. Just for this, Oculus = win.

Tracking
    Flawless. The game being a seated experience I couldn't walk around to test the limits of the tracking area. However I purposely shook my head in every directions possible at high speed, lean on every side. Not a single time I noticed any jump or delay of any sort that I experience with DK2. Amazing, really.
    Resolution
    Some people said they can't see the screendoor effect, I could. I've always been picky on that one. It is, however, a vast improvement over DK2. I could pretty clearly see the pixels but they do appear much smaller than DK2 and everything is clear and legible (text included). I guess it's this sweet spot where you can notice the screendoor effect but it doesn't take you out of the experience. Higher resolution panels for CV2 will probably be the best improvement besides input. I'm guessing 4K will be the point where I can really be satisfied with resolution (but I'll also need a beefy GPU).

Screens
    Other than resolution, the screens in CV1 are gorgeous. The blacks are black, no more ghosting effect like I'm experiencing in DK2. Colors are vivid, refresh rate is extremely high. Edge of Nowhere had a couple scenes in almost complete darkness in caves only lit up with a torch. I almost felt like my eyes were trying to adapt to the dark just like they would in a real cave. Definitely presence-inducing!

Smell
    I've seen that questions posted today and I've also been bothered by the smell of DK1 & 2. I got nauseous a few times and my brain seemed to link this smell of injected plastic to my nausea, and things were just getting worse. Worry no more, this headset is made of good materials and I couldn't notice any smell.

FOV
    Not so great on that one compared to DK2. I couldn't notice any major improvements and felt that it was basically the same FOV. You can easily notice these black bars in your peripherals. It doesn't take you out of the experience but I wish the FOV will be improved for CV2.

Here's my review. AMA if you have more questions! I had a blast finally testing the final Oculus Rift and can only be admirative with all the hard work Palmer and his team has done over the past months/years. Now just ship it already!

20. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered