Official Oculus Rift Consumer version one announcement

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, May 6, 2015.

1. Woodee

Woodee Registered

There will be no DK3, only consumer version coming out next year. I am unsure whether I will jump on the VR train this generation.

2. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I might wait for the 2nd gen consumer ones like the CV2 and such...but then again...maybe I won't, lol.

3. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

I own DK2 and get headaches and nausea after using 20 min or more using the device.
    Nvidia 3D and triples is much better solution and beats DK2 easy in my opinion.

4. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

What were you using it in?

I tried it in Aliens….instantly nausea inducing.

I tried it in p-cars….mild-moderately uncomfortable

I tried it in live4speed….5hr+ of zero nausea.

This was last year when i tested.

5. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

DrRipper: wouldnt it be affected by FPS than? I know that in RF2 the steering wheel input lag increases dramastically when FPS gets below 30, but generall,y lower, slower. Maybe its the same with Oculus, higher FPS, lower the lag, lower tendention to get nauseated?

6. PaulG

PaulG Registered

It can be an endless number of things. Project Cars has issues cause it has too much lag in its rendering engine (which isn't really surprising given that SMS has traditionally been a console developer at heart. They learned with NFS: Shift that graphics >> rendering lag for their audience.)

If he's playing FPS games, locomotion issues will make them pretty terrible for all but the most dedicated.

The roller coaster games are pretty much pure trash. Some even force camera controls away from the person.

Which goes back to anything that takes camera away from the user being horrendous.

Third party "solutions" add a bunch of lag (which would cause issues). Which is why I've never even bothered trying to play rF2 with those things.

All in all, it's very easy to get a horrible first impression of VR. Cause there's a ton of trash.

Having said that, I've been a 3D Vision user for years. And the best VR absolutely destroys 3D Vision for me. And I love 3D Vision. So it's no knock on that.

7. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Maybe but my fps was at least 60 in all 3 games at the time of using the dk2.

I think a major factor determining whether it will induce nausea or not is the rate of acceleration of virtual motion/velocity changes. For example, when going from stationary to walking speed in Aliens (first person game), the change occurs instantly which implies infinite acceleration. Compared to racing games, the changes in motion are caused by non-infinite realistic acceleration rates as you would expect in the real car counterpart.

Ah, i think this was the issue i had with p-cars. Didn't feel quite right unlike live4speed (perfect).

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2015
  8. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

Well i thought that the nosia is caused by the lag in your head movement and when it moves on the display, thats what ive been reading, which is basically the same things like TrackIR only milion times more complicated and accurate

9. PaulG

PaulG Registered

It'll definitely cause nausea, but it's only one of many things that can make people sick. And as I mentioned before, when we're talking lag, we're talking the entire pipeline. From head motion until that motion is represented on screen. So even with everything else equal, if one game engine takes longer to render their engine than another, it's going to have higher lag before that head movement is drawn on the screen.

10. Depco

Depco Registered

This lag may be the reason Oculus is putting out the minimum computer specs now, and why they are so high. They want to keep people from trying the rift on a computer incapable of running it at proper framerates.

11. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

You know, that may very well have been what cause the extreme nauseation in Aliens. I don't think i took notice of this at the time of testing since within a matter of seconds i had to take the dk2 off. My theory maybe completely wrong and simply have been (as you say) from lag between physical head movements and virtual result from that on screen. When i wrote that comment, i was thinking retrospectively.

But i can't go back and test, no dk2 and 10,000km's away from home.

12. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

nausea is usually caused by your visual movements not matching your actual movements
    the brain thinks you've been poised thus wants to induce sick to eject the poison

can be eliminated if there is a fixed point of reference ( fixed to you ) eg a sim car monocoque / car interior

tests show some success for walk around style titles by including a fixed graphic nose low centre of view

I hope to get one of those walking platforms to eliminate any nausea then could use arma3
    (with a higher res headset maybe next year)

I get no nausia with sim racing, but nausia City when I tried HL2

p.s reduce settings to achieve high fps should eliminate noticeable lag

13. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

But reducing the graphics settings will show on something like VR lot more than on small screens. Reducing model detail or texture detail will be lot more apparent on the screens 5cm from your face with the same or better resolution than your screen. So i only hope that my rig will manage rF2 only good FPS with the Vive, if not, oh well i will have to get that new revolutionary GPU thats supposed to be coming next year :-D

14. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

if your fps isn't high & your PC is not working well within its limits then you'll have no choice
    if you want a good seamless VR experience
    (my PC will run Iracing at much higher settings & still achieve a decent fps, but I want a seamless VR experience which overall is the best option )

although eye candy is nice, it does nothing for head to head racing - simulator experience

15. PaulG

PaulG Registered

Only you really know what the frame rate was for that game. But it's a first person shooter. So the vast majority are going to have a lousy experience just from locomotion issues (world movement without your body physically moving. Race/Flight sims are great because we've already conditioned ourselves that when in automobile, the world moves without physical excursion. That's why all the cockpit games tend to have mild learning curves). Couple that with the scale being off in Aliens. Those two things right there are enough to severely bother most people. If you throw in framerate issues, too, that's really a recipe for a very lousy first impression of the game.

16. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Well, fps could have been high but lag also high, right?

Hmm, i'm not convinced. I don't suffer any issues with first person shooters causing nausea on a monitor just like with racing sims (and i think this double condition is the same for the vast majority) and yet the many (if not the majority) suffer locomotion issues in first person games with a rift. Also, a better example i should have used of first person was the Tuscany demo. It had native rift support (thus no more lag than in live4speed) and going from stationary to moving (or vice-versa) was horribly nauseating within a matter of seconds of walking. I think (but not sure) if the simple act of being in motion in first person without the cockpit frame of reference was an independently contributing factor to nausea or if it was all from the infinite acceleration/deceleration of motion in first person games.

17. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

Hm, another thing that comes to mind, did they have the field of view really nailed to be totally realistic? I mean, did you really feel like you were there without thinking "theres something weird with my view"? cuz if your brain really feels like its there, im thinking maybe even an FoV offset could cause it to freak out, but i dunno... I havent tried it my self but i know that nausia is obviosuly very ghigh only their "pay attention to" list to solve whatever it is caused by

18. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

The Tuscany demo was perfectly fine/comfortable so long as you did not walk around. Aliens I think did feel a little FOV skewed perhaps but i now recall the nausea inducing issue being instantly brought on the moment i started to walk. The more i think about it the more i'm convinced a huge part is to do with the infinite acceleration issue. Why? Because i now remember the same was true for turning the head with the 360 controller stick or arrow keys that would produce infinite accelerations and yet when you use the head tracking to control turning your head, zero problem.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2015
  19. RichFreed

RichFreed Registered

I have a similar issue, tuscany demo scene gives me instant headache the moment I turn with the controller. Alien is the same but it I persevered because it properly captures the scariness of the first movie I remember from my childhood. I hound I could acclimatise myself to it by ensuring I did not use the full turn rate of the sticks, eventually I was able to work the turn rates up faster and faster with no adverse effects. However if I do need to reaclimatise if I do not play it for while. interestingly I do not suffer any ill effects while in Elite Dangerous, or racing car enviroments - I guess my brain is expecting fast changes in orientation and is ok with it.

20. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

PaulG, i'm sorry, you must be right when you said spoke of the cockpit frame of reference being the reason and not my infinite acceleration theory. I don't suffer at all from nausea on a monitor when playing first person games (where my mouse is highly sensitive) whereas i only suffer from nausea (and badly so) in VR games without a cockpit frame of reference (e.g. tuscany, aliens, etc).

So i think the "infinite acceleration" issue i talked about is wrong.

Richfeed, i guess the difference of a cockpit frame of reference must be the reason why.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2015