Official Oculus Rift Consumer version one announcement

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, May 6, 2015.

1. Bassman

Bassman Registered

I like their approach of "it just works". Even if you need to upgrade hardware, they get it that the VR world is on a short leash from the consumers. If it "doesn't work" they will go down in flames.

Confused a bit about the HDMI callout. Wouldn't the GXT970 provide the HDMI port? The specs are within reach though. I have to say I am very interested in their product. Hope they get it right. (and we can use it in RF2).

2. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Im quite use to the dk2's resolution now ( with sweetfx ), so any improvement is great for me

It's only stated what resolution "the rift" is runnnng at not what the max res the screen or screens.
    ( one or two actual screens .....it could mean one screen split into two for the 3d )

The actual screen(s) could be capable of a much higher res. ( but offer a higher pixel count for reduced screen door etc )
    But they are calerbrating the rifts running res at 2160x1200 for optimum performance on the recommended PC spec

& of course calibrated the optics for this res too , if the optics could be covering more pixel area this would also help
    ( would be the case if x2 screens used , as opposed to 1 screen split into 2 )

Even the current dk2's resolution as it is would look a whole lot better on a display with a much higher pixel count

Eg running at 1080 (as it does ) but on say twice as many screen pixels'(& a much higher resolution capability

Oculus have said a few times not to get hung up on resolution as there's a lot more to consider & I'd agree

Ps 90hz. .. Drool ! Somehow the dk2 feels ultra low latency already & that's on just 60hz !

3. PaulG

PaulG Registered

DK2 is 75hz. There's a smear fest, sample-and-hold mode that can run at 60hz, but all games running properly, in low persistence mode, are 75hz on DK2.

Nonetheless, I'm firmly in the Valve/HTC/OpenVR camp. The Oculus screen is no better than Vive. Vive is going to support DX9 (important for rfactor 2). And Vive is part of the OpenVR initiative. The only company that's going proprietary standards is Oculus and proprietary standards can go die in a fire.

4. Woodee

Woodee Registered

The min specs of the Oculus... by Q1 2016 will be very much achievable :)

5. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Hi Paul

yes I'm interested in the Vive too, oculus will continue to work with dx9 it's just that at some point later driver features will be developed for higher dx versions & advanced features may not be optimised for dx9
    (the current drivers work great with dx9 )

dx9 will always work though with the oculus

6. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

I know 970 is a bigger number than 780 but a bigger number doesn't always mean one nvidia card "beats" another one in all specs. Would a 780ti meet the minimum spec of the Oculus?

Edit: looking at some web comparisons the two cards are apparently comparable, except the 780 has "only" 3GB of mem where the 970 has 4GB. I wonder if that would be a hindrance for the 780.

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2015
  7. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

The CV1 does "low persistence mode" @ 90Hz split between the two screens (I'm guessing left eye and right eye)? So that is only 45 Hz each eye? Correct? I hope not considering Nvidia 3D vision does "low persistence" 120Hz split between each eye (60Hz each eye).

Or do they mean that each screen is running at 90Hz simultaneously with the other one (which would be true 90Hz)? The word "split" is what confuses me.

8. Minibull

Minibull Member

I have no idea, but it would surely have to be 90hz true. Maybe that's why there wasn't as big of a jump in pixel count, focusing on refresh rates and response?

9. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

No, it's 90Hz per eye.

It's just a single screen at 90hz with the left half of the screen for the left eye image and the right half for the right eye image, both rendered on the display simultaneously per frame.

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2015
  10. RichFreed

RichFreed Registered

No it's 2 seperate screens for the cv1. DK1 & DK 2 were single screens.

11. MarcG

MarcG Registered

bugger, those specs are quite steep, still getting one anyway!

12. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Ah, thanks for the correction.

So a 1080x1200 display per eye, each at 90hz. So the exact same as the HTC Vive devkit.

13. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

hiya rich,

I've heard this too, but can't seem to find any credible info to confirm this, do you know this for sure?

14. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Thanks, Freed. Does anyone have any info on the 90Hz? Alternating 45Hz each eye (90 Hz/fps total)? Alternating 90Hz each eye (180 Hz/fps total)?

15. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

In the link provided by 64r

https://www.oculus.com/blog/powering-the-rift

16. RichFreed

RichFreed Registered

The 1080 x 1200 on each eye seems illogical (to me at least).

Our peripheral vision is greatest in the horizontal plane yet they have have gone for more vertical display area.

From what I have read the Vive has gone the opposite with 1200 x 1080 on each eye. (On their DK at least)

Time will tell, which is better and it might well not even boil down to resolution for your choice. Exciting times just around the corner now!

17. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

cheers dripper -yes I read this, it sounds like 2 separate displays but it could also mean the duel ( 1 per eye ) display images
    in a split single screen setup ( hope it is 2 separate displays though)

18. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

fixed 90hz , no alternating & no duplication/multiplication at all , the screen(s) run at constant 90hz (just like a monitor would in 2d mode)
    ( in VR -each eye see's a separate constant image for the 3d effect unlike nvidia 3d vision where's there is alternating etc )

the dk2 runs at 75hz, but somehow ( for me ....I do maintain a high fps too )
    seems super low latency ,the best I've ever experienced,
    so going to 90hz is a great news (even further improved) as I love the direct / low latency aspect of VR

19. RichFreed

RichFreed Registered

Nope it's separate screens. “…the Rift runs at 2160×1200 at 90Hz split over dual displays" (from https://www.oculus.com/blog/powering-the-rift/ )

They moved to dual screens with Crescent Bay:- http://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-conf...sumer-rift-will-not-be-an-exclusive-platform/

20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

That's awesome. After playing game's at 100 and 120 Hz, I couldn't go back to 60Hz, everything just feels/looks so smooth and fluid. I'm really glad to hear a true 90Hz+ is going to be the norm.

Yes the latency will be lower too. On top of this, each screen can/should be able to drive each GPU separately in an SLI/Crossfire situation. According to AMD (will post source shortly) this will not only NOT increase latency over a single GPU setup but actually decrease latency. This should also give almost perfect SLI/Crossfire scaling since it's like two separate displays each being rendered by two separate GPUs.

Agreed.

I don't understand the FOV setup either. Why higher than wider? My main gripe with the early headsets is peripheral view (and obviously not being able to see your real-life hands, wheel, etc.); how is the peripheral vision of the CV1 and the Vive compared to the DK1 and DK2???....