As an Rfactor dude, what are your thoughts on Dirt Rally?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Squeeekmo, May 1, 2015.

1. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

I'll put simply. If you are capable on having fun then get this game. If you are going to be put off by every single suboptimality then forget it. I'd surely kick your a$$ anyway lol

2. oHOWEo

oHOWEo Registered

Can anybody confirm 21:9 support

3. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Luckily I had the opportunity to test it in friend of mine computer's in order to save some cash.

I'm truly surprised guys who drive rF2 can be happy with it. FFB + Physics say zero to the driver. Horrible.

4. eltidi

eltidi Registered

Does the game allow FOV change, seat change, clutch use,900 º rotation, hide the steering wheel?

If it does, I will be one happy man, I don't expect it to be a sim, but if it's a simcade with proper wheel support, man...

5. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Exactly, it's Codemasters. Plus it's a genre the other developers choose to put on the backburner or ignore all together.

6. yusupov

yusupov Registered

this is pretty well put (dont know about the last part :p)

very fun & i find it incredibly addictive as-is but its also a big WIP at most hopeful (codies implementing proper wheel support for the first time etc). simply awful FFB, make sure to get a tweak file from race department to make it bearable, there are a couple good ones out there.

it took me some time to overcome my frustration with just how bad the ffb in particular was, but anymore im just enjoying the game (in a twisted way; its quite unforgiving & full of frustration; some long stages, no rewinds, repair only available every other stage, 5 max. restarts & instadeath).

7. yusupov

yusupov Registered

there is no US west stage yet! i think you mean greece?

its all very pretty but in the usual codemasters way of, its got a nice sheen, but technically not very impressive. still more than sufficient & should run very well for most.

8. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I've seen someone playing with triple monitors on youtube.

9. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

I drove my front wheel drive Puma on dirt road today, and it was much more oversteery than any car in dirt rally.

10. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Guys who drive rF2 can't have fun with other games? Sure they can. ;)

Don't buy DIRT Rally expecting simulation style physics or force feedback.
    It's just a nice car game with some fine visuals and sounds.

11. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Demo? Really? Its an early access game, basically beta as rF2 was when it came out to the public, and costs mere 27€. Demo... :rolleyes:

I haven't bought it, following with interest where it is heading to. I'm sure I'll buy it someday when I have time to give it a good trashing.

12. yusupov

yusupov Registered

hmmm interesting typo at the end there :D

the thread is phrased in a loaded way, as i see it. dirt rally is really nothing like rf2. it can still be very enjoyable, & not just in an 'arcade' way. but its def not for everyone.

13. Emery

Emery Registered

Could be Greece <blush>

Anyway, that dry place with lots of sunshine was much more convincing than the rain and snow.

14. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Yes but not with this one! lol :p

Just kidding, maybe I'm getting old and simcades started to make me angry. It raises another question, why the offroad/dirty content is still absent for rF2?

15. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

It's okay man, I understand your stance. :)

Simcades pee'd me off too not long ago. But I'm more relaxed about it now.
    Sometimes I just want to sit back and relax with something a bit more casual. DIRT Rally is perfect for that.

People speculating that this might be the successor to RBR might be in for a bit of disappointment though... ;)

16. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

17. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Fun game, simple as that. Just another fun car-racing videogame.

18. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

+1

I can enjoy a pCars race as much as a RF2 one, just for different reasons.

1st spec:

My first thought of some Wales clips was Rally Championship 2000, they have really caught the atmosphere.

Weather effects look okay, what you expect from Codemasters.
    Fog , mist looks excellent filtered through trees and light.
    Attempt at dripping water on side windows is not bad.
    Rain could do with some work.
    Variable rain strength and audio wise the harder it rains the louder it is incar, I like that effect in pCars.

Has not been many CM titles I ever liked, none since F1 2010 really.

People told them after Dirt 2 release where they went wrong seems they finally listened.

Looks to me they back on track.

---------

Do they have Pikes Peak licence ?

They could release a separate title, call it " HiLLCLiMB " mad p

19. yusupov

yusupov Registered

dirt rally perfect for relaxing...you may not be playing it right. :) (or you may just be insanely talented at rally games idk)

i very much get being peeved by it, i dont think its a result of being old, but mostly a factor of being accustomed to a high standard of ffb. i spent a good day or so literally mad at myself for having bought it, suckered by codies again. but IF you can get by the ffb (which theres a chance theyll actually improve), the physics arent awful. ive read alot about grip being too high but i disagree; theres plenty of sliding & sideways action, & its not dumbed down look at me bro im drifting crap. theres some simcadey stuff with rollovers etc but for the most part, if you aim to finish a full rally in a high spot, therell be a lot of tension, especially as you progress. longer stages become more prevalent & there are 8, 10, 12 of them to endure. i highly recommend giving it a fair chance, & then some; thats what it took for me.

i really disagree its 'just another casual simcade' but then i have other crazy ideas like sims actually existing outside of rf2.

20. yusupov

yusupov Registered

DD, pikes peak is coming, as is hillclimb. and yeah there is evidence this team, so far, is actually listening instead of just doing the lip service like autosport.