Wake up call for sound engine :)

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by K Szczech, Apr 24, 2015.

1. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Exactly. And one can say "ISI uses it wrong", but that´s also up to personal taste or what the developer want.
    And in this case, the dev seem to don´t want to hear the car sounds all over the track maybe because it can get annoying.

However I agree that ISI does not do the best job with game-sound. Begins at usage of Miles and end with bad samples. But the engine itself is not the weak point!

By the way: R3E uses Miles too, not?

2. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I remember walking, from km away, to Monza and Spa and just absolutely adoring the engine sounds (2007 and 2011) through the trees in the part and past the mountains respectively.

3. Flaux

Flaux Registered

That is true. I did tests back in rf1 were one could reproduce those events of cars driving around the track.

Of course it would mean to setup the samples in the sfx files differently. Also the used samples should always have some headroom to get amplified if needed.

I think it is a department where modders can work on a different approach. Because as you say, the engine is good and new stuff gets added regulare (hall effect, new bottoming-out sound, new and better background/ambient sounds and so on)

4. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I wonder if there could be an issue with external sounds overpowering the driver's own engine and all other sounds, and if working to prevent that is the bump on the road.

5. peterchen

peterchen Registered

That´s definitely something you have too look at!

6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

The sound engine RF2 currently uses is far off the capabilities of what's possible especially when you look at what's possible with many other sound engines.

Look at how the dynamics of the car sounds in, for eg., AC change depending on where the car is on track (distance from you), as it approaches you, as it goes further away, the different sample sets dedicated to different things ( I believe engine, exhaust, intake all have their own set of samples and internal and external for all of those). Even regardless of # of samples though, the sound engine of, for eg., AC does much more with a given sample than the sound engine of RF2. Just listen to all the differences to the sound as a car goes around the track; it's on an entirely different level than what RF2 is currently capable of.

Not upgrading a sound engine and just relying on better samples is like not upgrading a graphics engine and just relying on better textures. Imagine we were still using the exact same ISI graphics engine from, let's say, F1 2002 but with just better, modern, high resolution textures? Obviously there is wayyyyyy more to graphics then just textures; it's no different with sound or UI or any part of a game.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2015
  7. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

I think the discussion is running in circles - everythng we now talk about was discussed on page 1 :)

If the sound engine does its job right - it will produce sounds at very different range of volumes. Just like graphics engine, when doing its job right, will produce images at very different range of brightness.
    In graphics, HDR is used to adjust that produced image to screen. HDR is something that can be used for sound as well.

So in case of interior sounds, our sound engine would adapt, changing total volume and this way your own engine will be rasonably loud, while other sounds will be much weaker.

8. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Talking in circles, yes.

Because people that took their time modding the sound engine know of it's capability and have to set all the missinformation straight. :p