htc vive

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gkz, Apr 22, 2015.

1. MarcG

MarcG Registered

well you said it's not a small percentage so you must have some idea of how many! anyway this is going round in circles, back to the point, ISI will add support if and when the time comes.

2. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

VR users seemed to have increased steadily in the Iracing user base, Iracing has basic (but very good when coupled with sweetfx) support which gives a lot an exceptional experience ( I suspect some don't have a PC fast enough to give a seamless experience )
    I even think that VR support has attracted some new Iracing members

if members start buying the htc vive (I will if no firm news from oculus) I'm pretty sure basic support will be available for that headset too, hopefully the sdk will not be a million miles in use from oculus's ( from a learning & making sense of it aspect )

Iracing devs have applied to steam for a dev-kit HTC vive, it's totally free for them too, which software house wouldn't

these are very very happy days

p.s E3 June 18th, hopefully major news

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2015
  3. Miro

Miro Registered

It is hopless Adrian. You may repeat yourself as much as you want, this is the only community where I have seen the people without the rift moaning and bitching the dev shouldn't support the rift and blablablaing around the topic. It is like I would go and say no no no I do want you folks to enjoy direct drive wheels or motion platforms. I do not like you to enjoy that and the ffb or what ever. I mean it is that retarded that I have no words for it and probably also the reason ISI doesn't give much of a **** about intergrating VR support.

4. capetuso

capetuso Registered

I don't play rFactor because it has no DK2 support event when I own the lifetime pass, I am testing with Tridef 3D but it is not good enough. I like rFactor 2 more than iRacing and Assetto Corsa, so once it is supported I will play a lot.
    I understand the devs priorities so no complaining here, just waiting. But it is true that iRacing people haven't had to do a single update for months related to DK2 implementation and at least 2 SDK updates from Oculus have been released and everything still works fine.

5. deak1944

deak1944 Guest

6. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Pretty much my opinion too. ( using Iracing f1's & looking forward to the MP-30 release )

I have a separate pc awaiting to be used as dedicated rf2 server
    As & when ( & if ) rf2 becomes a VR friendly
    Happy to wait though as rf2 is now really going from strength to strength

Wouldn't be surprised if it really starts to take off ( not saying it hadn't already but getting all new recognition etc)
    over the next 6 to 12 months

Thanks for link deck -nice read

Ps gopro releasing VR cam system + software for VR import etc

7. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Get over yourself, seriously. These threads are always filled with the same six people claiming their world has come to an end because ISI isn't spending time to make those six people able to easily use oculus with rF2. Is it so hard to wait for a consumer version? Enjoy the racing sims who offer ease of use, nobody gets offended and the world wont' come to an end when you do.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2015
  8. Miro

Miro Registered

I kinda do not get that man, what would it change for you if they'd add rift support?
    And nobody claimed the world is gonna explode. I made my peace with no rift support and do not see it coming anytime soon, maybe next year but only maybe.
    Development will not stop for this tech anytime soon, it just started.

However I can still voice my opinion. You or ISI or anybody else may or may not like it, doesn't change a thing obviously.

9. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

lol, theres no worlds coming to end for anyone I'm sure, in fact since using VR for racing simulation -its got a whole lot better

happy days

agreed, early days for this exciting new technology & even more to look forward too

10. PaulG

PaulG Registered

Ton of common sense in that. Although Chet's a very smart guy, so I'd expect nothing less.

Putting a virtual nose on screen is a stupid solution. Same with the uber nerds who claim you just need your sea legs to combat locomotion issues. The first person shooter genre will always suck as a VR genre. Doesn't matter how much the hardcore nerds protest. Feeling like ##@! for 10 hours of gameplay before you adapt is not a solution that has any mainstream potential.

What's funny is genre's have constantly risen and fallen in videogame history. If Sony plays Morpheous/Gran Turismo properly, I feel the racing genre could see it's biggest boost ever.

Which is kind of ironic. Because he overreacted with his statement. Since it's usually the same two posters repeating the anti-VR agenda. Guess the people have spoken. 6 - 2 in favor of VR support.

11. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I get no nausea with racing sims, but giving the classic HL2 a try was not nice

I think the nose works (for some) as its a fixed reference ( the same a sim car cockpit ) ,
    I'd prefer a glasses frame ( those combat style ones navy seals wear etc ) than a stupid looking nose lol

12. PaulG

PaulG Registered

I haven't really heard of anyone getting nausea from racing sims. And if anyone is on the fringe, I suspect 90hz updates will eliminate any outliers.

I think that's the point Chet was making (although he was being polite by not mentioning the FPS genre specifically). VR will cause new genres to rise, and some old to fall. That's okay. Cockpit games have zero locomotion issues and that's why I suspect Sony will be smart enough to really try and exploit Gran Turismo for it. It'll be one of the real winners if VR gets traction.

And let me just say, I don't really think it's much of an if. It's just a matter of when. I challenge anyone to view something like the Apollo 11 Experience and not come away believing VR is the future. I literally got goose bumps from that demo.

13. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Anti VR? Where does that come from? When you constantly whine about the same thing over and over and over and over, don't get butthurt when you're called a whiner. I guess I had to spell it out for you. :)

14. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2015
  15. PaulG

PaulG Registered

Valve had some leaked website mockups that implied Vive is Novemeber. That's an even better date to work with;)

Of course, I remain skeptical of all these dates for the time being. It'd be nice if they were real. Think it all hinges on whether the Vive actually releases in November. If they hit that date, everyone else has to lock into their dates.

16. gkz

gkz Registered