htc vive

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gkz, Apr 22, 2015.

1. gkz

gkz Registered

Will isi make a application for htc vive devkit to get it for free ?

2. Dyas

Dyas Registered

I don't think we can get it for free

3. gkz

gkz Registered

they send it for free to developer. The application has startet for it. So why not trying ?

4. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

See any previous response regarding Oculus Rift. Same applies.

5. PaulG

PaulG Registered

It's been a while. I can't remember. I thought the official response was it wasn't a priority for a dev kit. But you intended to support retail kits?

The HTC Vive isn't available to the general public. This is a true developer kit. Only developers can apply (and only legit developers will be considered by Valve). This is so people can have their software support ready for the retail launch later this year. Are you saying rfactor won't be supporting retail sets either:( ?

6. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

The main problem we had (this isn't first hand info, I'm no dev), was that we'd re-done the same work three times and still hadn't got anything to public due to small changes, then it was halted. If I understand correctly, there's a huge issue with legacy support for older headsets and runtimes going forward as well, so support of retail units only - whenever the guy doing it has time - is probably what to expect. I just think we're too small of a team to keep bumping up the Rift (VR) support with each build.

7. gkz

gkz Registered

maybe my english is too bad but i don t understand what u are talking about. Oculus rift has nothing to do with steam vr. Steam vr is a finish product which comes ( from valve ) by the end of this year. The dev kit is released now for pulisher and they can make a application to get it for free. they are no small changes or anything like this . I mean yes u can say about oculus maybe they dk 2 are not 100 % match up for devs because the end product will change. But Steam vr is complete other way than oculus.

8. PaulG

PaulG Registered

I don't really know the fine details, but a couple distinctions between Valve's HTC Vive and the Oculus Rift is this: In theory, a developer should only have to code in support for the Steam VR API. If in the year 2020, the Rift CV3 or Vive 4 is released, the VR API is supposed to allow a 2015 game to then support these new headsets without a developer changing a single line of their code. It's all supposed to be handled on Valve's part with their maintenance of the VR API. And surprisingly, some have said Steam VR isn't even going to be exclusive to Steam (if that continues to be an issue from your perspective).

Valve hasn't come out and said they're not supporting DX 9/10 either. I guess anything is possible, but I certainly wouldn't assume they're following the same path as Oculus.

If either of these are major concerns for the programmers, I'm sure they could hit up Joe Ludwig (Steam ID = Programmer Joe) at Valve and he'd happily answer any technical issues on it.

At this point, I'm thinking Valve's VR solution is going to be more successful in the PC gaming space than Oculus'. And if past history is any indication, it might be less painful to provide support too. Oculus' hasn't exactly earned a cheerful reputation among developers.

9. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Iracing gave support for oculus dk2 and haven't had to update since ( we now use sweetfx to make it sharp )

there's things rift users would like but can't moan to much as basic ( yet good ) implementation is working,

saying that I don't really update the oculus runtime etc but think others have and it (Iracing ) support still works.
    I'd be happy to stick with one version of oculus runtime for capability if there's anything (that works ) for rf2 that ISI might have
    (can get head tracking to work from the patch done by villitro )
    no plug in delay now too .......perfect

p.s sorry to mention/compare to another sim as its a different dev team etc ( I think a couple of them done the support patch in their spare time ) but just making point that it was released and not updated since ( apart from tracking added which wasn't initially )

10. Depco

Depco Registered

The long and short is that ISI doesn't have a big enough team to finish the work they have on their current projects. (ie tracks and cars) The one person who was assigned to rift support in the past "whenever the guy doing it has time" didn't have enough time to make changes and it was abandoned. rift has their finished Software now so changes will be unlikely. However, Oculus have said that they are not going to be supporting DX9 anymore. So that ends ISI's sim. Unless some enterprising third party can make it work.

HTC Vive has not made any mention of support one way or the other for DX9 moving forward. In the case of getting a vive for free, dont bet on it. ISI is not the developer they have in mind for the free headset. I suspect it is more the larger developers they are looking at. ISI is not very big at all and would likely not meet their requirements.

11. PaulG

PaulG Registered

As someone who was inspired by the DK2 to get serious about programming, I take a much different attitude these days. There are just days that can leave you deflated beyond belief. And if support sucks (and everyone seems to agree that Oculus support does suck), things can just get very hopeless and frustrating. It's awesome that some have had success, but even iRacing seemed to struggle mightily to actually get it implemented. And I know the LFS guy openly pleaded and ranted for help on certain things on the Oculus forums (to no avail). He did an amazing job, but I know he was openly frustrated that Oculus wouldn't address his most basic questions. So if you get stuck, you're pretty much outta luck.

I doubt that. The AAA developers are not filling out a 125 word form about why they should get one. They'll get them if they want them (although I suspect zero AAA console centric publishers have the slightest interest in anything VR related. Besides, they mostly make FPS games and those are awful with the locomotion issues.)

The best VR games are going to come from the indie scene. The same scene that's pretty much driving all innovation in gaming these days.

12. MarcG

MarcG Registered

You make good points, also throw in the way that HTC Vive & Oculus require completely different coding methods to get them to work (presumption purely of course), that one ISI guy then has a ton of work to do all for the benefit of X amount of gamers actually using the headset, is the pay off worth it? No probably not, again another reason to wait until both are fully out in the Public and any updates are not needed on a consistent basis and also to gauge how many RF2 users have actually bought the headsets in the first place.

13. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

oculus have stated their later/newer updates will stop supporting dx9 at some point

never that the rift will not work with dx9 ( like it does very well now )
    so using a dx9 title will maybe have to use the present or the last runtime that's compatible
    ( I'm sure they'll put an option in their config tool like they do now for legacy mode )

saying that no news from oculus for a long tin except their darn mobile VR -hopefully E3 in mid June will bring news

Paul -Iracing was pretty quick with support + communicated very well on the forums as to progress etc, there is stuff left out but hopefully will come soon ( drivers arms only rotate part way & little things like that ) my dk2 works seamlessly with Iracing capped at 205fps with the lowest latency/lag I've ever experienced ...its paradise
    there's a growing proportion of Iracing members adopting the rift + a lot waiting on the sidelines for a higher res version headset

14. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Probably between 10 and 20.

15. gkz

gkz Registered

htc vive has nothing to do with oculus and i think isi don t even know what that is. when the vive comes out noone will give a f**u* to oculus. and everybody will flame why does isi not support the vive because it is the number 1 vr. It doesnt matter what oculus do who release there headset first will get the sells. And the games which support the first pulic vr exp. will get the sells. But don t get me rong i have a dk 2 and play it with the plugin and custom make fov with ultra downsampling and it is perfekt. So i don t need a dk 2 support on isi. But yes the awnser is no to the topic.

16. PaulG

PaulG Registered

Don't have to sell me on iracing. Even though I was once a pretty big skeptic (because the physics WERE ice), it's currently my favorite sim. The physics have improved a ton over the last couple years and, MOST importantly, it's the most complete VR solution. I'm just saying we did have to wait an extra season to get the DK2 support. And even then, I got the definite sense it wasn't as easy as they'd hoped for. They even mentioned they had to come up with a couple of clever workaround solutions (that they seemed rightly proud of).

17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Again as above it's not worth wasting ISI time to code in for one headset when a VERY small percentage of people will own the headset from the start. When that percentage increases and ISI feel there's a good enough number of users then they may...repeat may code in support for it.

Right now it's pointless as they're better spent coding (one person remember) on more current issues and advancements.

18. gkz

gkz Registered

very small percentage ? dk 2 is allready not a small percentage in simracing. So how can u say this to the first consumer ready vr in vive ? I play rfactor 2 with the dk 2 and it is amazing a normal monitor is crap. And allready the dev kit of steam vr is miles ahead of dk 2 and oculus. We don t talk about a small percent when it goes to a consumer vr exp.

19. MarcG

MarcG Registered

go on indulge me, how many RF2 users use the DK2?

20. gkz

gkz Registered

how can i know how many ? u can make a poll if u want to know. But a small percentage is just not true that shows us oculus threads from the past. But the thread is about htc vive and how many ppl and sim race fans will get a vive. And the question will be more than a lot. nobody in the future will drive a racing sim with a normal monitor lol. Did u have a dk 2 or played rf 2 in virtual reality ?