Let's commend ISI and their AI....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by msportdan, Apr 10, 2015.

1. msportdan

msportdan Banned

I really cant express how much I'm thankful to ISI and its AI in rf2. In my whole virtual racing career I've been after the perfect Ai which overtake, defend, think , give room and most of all are a challenge and fun to race. Rf2 seems to nails this on the head, no other race game comes close to this Ai. Since I'm mainly an offline player this is a massive part of my experience and its a great one at that.

So here's a thread to the AI....

You're marvellous!!!

2. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

Well as a Skippy AI It possibly falls on me to say thanks for the kind words. We appreciate it. See you next race!

3. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

4. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

I don't know. The whole "stay out of my way, human" thing rubs me the wrong way.

5. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Heh I find that pretty epic and funny. :)

6. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

The other night I tried to record a video on GSCE with AI. After 2.5 hours of death thanks to derpy AI I got annoyed.

Jumped on rfactor2 with the palatov and just got on with a brilliant 30 minute race at Gingerman

The difference is night and day

7. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

Why am I the only one having very bad AI in this game? It's nowhere near realistic, and they seem to not exactly see that I'm around when overtaking, i.e. next to them.

Also, when doing full distance races, when they need to lap other cars, they sometimes get stuck behind them while I pull away for laps. Plus, the AI getting lapped don't get out of the way on their own either.

8. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

What you're describing sounds more like rFactor1 to me.

But: try to set the AI limiter to 0 or close to that. It will them drive closer to what they're able to and they won't artificially stick together in a tight pack.

I never experienced the AI run into me, unless the conditions are extreme somehow. They always know where I am during a fight and I find I can always trust them.

9. msportdan

msportdan Banned

second to what hex said, the Ai are very human like.. and at the perfect give or take level.

10. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

Yes, it feels similar to rFactor 1, but slightly improved.

What is the AI limiter? You mean AI Aggression? I've tried it at many values.

11. peterchen

peterchen Registered

No.

12. kevib1

kevib1 Registered

I sometimes have issues with the AI not seeing me but usually I can put that down to my fault. On a few areas of tracks I can take a somewhat different line to the AI. This puts me in a place the AI (or indeed a real person) does not expect to see me and therefore me collide. In this case if I take a different line it is my lookout to avoid the other cars. Same can be said for collisions around braking points. The AI expect you to brake and corner the same as them. Brake early and expect to be hit from behind. It is up to us to change to get along with the other vehicles on the track, whether they be AI or online "humans".
    Since I came to that realisation my AI racing experience (and my real life kart racing) has become much improved. In short, if all the AI are doing one thing and you are doing something else maybe you are in the wrong!
    Vehicles being lapped don't have to get out the way, just not get in the way.

13. speed1

speed1 Banned

The AI sometimes can be very annoying, especially when they crash into your back while slowing down on the pit out or corner entry as example, or do turn some parade in a uniform loop.

But the truth is that this AI is still better than some of the competitors AutomaticIncident, the most of the time reacts like as they where some wound up toys, the have to unload the energy anywhere, no matter the scenario. The movement is the best, when the cars going crazy and change histerically the direction, and it looks like to walk the dogs but without a handler.

14. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

The AI are superb. Really really excellent...

Except in the pit lane :)

15. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Aside from you poor logic, I will also point out that Peter has experience improving AIW so my bet's with him ;)

16. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Altering those files is hardly coding AI. ISI are the ones who have done the hard job, the AIW files are just the final touches. As far as I understand things anyway, so Johns comments are still valid.

17. peterchen

peterchen Registered

It is absolutely no "black art"!
    All you need is a good .RCD-file and a good AIW with different lines.
    That many (most?) modders doesn´t do this, can in my eyes only be lazyness.
    I assume modders are simracer themselfes, so they should know how to drive properly through a given track, especially when it´s their own one!
    AIW-lines aren´t done in one shot. You have to make several mainpath and compare them. It´s unlikely that you have all turns / sections in best possible in one file.
    Then you have to snipp and copy parts of the different attempts,- then you have to smooth the "cut-boundaries". After that you can add the other path´s....
    Modders are just too lazy for this procedure.

Edit: and even if they want to make it quick, you can do X attempts and take the fastest. Even that seems to be too much for some...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2015
  18. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

When many modders are spending tons of hours making tracks and cars for free for the community, calling them lazy and simplifying one of the hardest part of the job (good AIW) like you did is simply ignorant, ridiculous and disrespectful.

If you think it is so easy, I grant permission to you to provide us better AIW files for all our Euskotracks circuits so that we can implement them in future versions. Come on! Don't be LAZY and do that for the community!!!!

19. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

We need an AI fix-it crew to do all the tracks with the "lazy" modders. Many modders are only interested in online racing. Combine forces so good tracks meant for online can also be used offline.

20. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Sorry! I don´t wanted to be,- well, what you called me!
    I appreciate the modders work. But I can´t explain the existing problem otherwise.
    I will have a look on your tracks.
    Wait: isn´t Lowlands one of your work? Didn´t I send you already an AIW for that?