Where is bloom in new lightning system?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nuno Lourenço, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

Finally yesterday I had a chance to touch in rFactor 2 again in many weeks... testing the new build I was happy because cockpit overexposure is no longer there but then... with it all the light as gone away and everything look lifeless to me now...

I set game to a race a 13PM in summer and supposedly we should see all ambiente bright enought to obligate us to close a little bit our eyes like in reality but this is not what happens! all look with low light and lifeless...

In monaco when we enter the tunnel we should have very low light and the bloom efect when we go out but thats not happen too... I even switched on and off HDR but no solution...

I'm the only one seeing (or don't seeing ) it? Or am I missing something?

Thank you guys

2. Carlo

Carlo Registered

Agreed. Flat, lifeless and little to no car reflections. Chrome looks gray for example.

3. stonec

stonec Registered

It's funny that all users complained about rF2 colorbook textures and too saturated colors, now when it's reduced a bit it's the opposite. :rolleyes: There is no more autoexposure so you won't get those Monaco tunnel effects anymore. Regarding bloom, there is button for that in devmode, I never got it working in any build, it never made any difference to anything.

4. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

There is a difference i notice especially noon where its not overexposed and over desaturated. And theres no ugly pixel dirt at the edge of the spotlight shone on the road surface at night.

I think this is a pre-step for ISI to get closer to a really optimised and visual version of rf2

5. Tosch

Tosch Registered

6. stonec

stonec Registered

We went from this:

View attachment 16326

To this:

View attachment 16327

I don't complain :)

7. stonec

stonec Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2015
  8. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Well I can really see why so many people are flaming rF2's graphics compared to AC...
    /sarcasm mode off ;)

BTW what is up with that building on the right..? In AC it looks so lifeless imo.

9. Minibull

Minibull Member

I was just about to post that, it looks like a flat texture for the building front...

And the signs along the fenceline...

10. Andregee

Andregee Registered

The Bloom effect is an issue of digital sensors and nothing what our eyes see

11. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

I'm missing a bit of diffuse ambient light too (most at 12h00 - 13h00), but I think 946 is a step forward in terms of visuals anyway.

Maybe I'll need to play around with nVidia gamma settings to simulate a bit more of exposure but for me it's OK.

Night racing is definitely a big step forward though.

12. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Yes, the overall colour balance is not far, but in this picture we can see how the AC tarmac shader is nice. The rubber overlaying the tarmac is really convincing.

13. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Does rF2 really have lightning?

14. Minibull

Minibull Member

Heavy skidmarks across the whole track? :confused:

15. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

It's a brake-zone in the picture.

16. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Also lenses; which our eyes have as well.

Also, slightly OT, this new tonemapping has effectively moved rF2 further away from ISI's traditional paradigm of 'as seen' toward 'as photographed', anyway; what with the absence of adaptive exposure, overblown skies, etc.

17. Minibull

Minibull Member

That is a bit heavy for even a braking zone, locked up tyres a long way out from the corner and all across the track width. The realroad will look very similar though if you drive for a long long time, just been testing it. It's more focused in a driving line and a bit towards the inside when trying to outbrake though.

Yeah, I hope the auto exposure system can be somehow worked on in future and be reintroduced. Somehow restrict it from making things blow out in terms of brightness. It was always fun going through the tunnel at Monaco haha. Maybe it was done to bring a bit more consistency about. If we get better reflections and shadows and general light tone, I'd probably see that as a win vs. not having adaptive exposure.

Bright skies are still there though, I was playing round at Malaysia with a morning sun, and they sky and clouds were really bright as they should be. As blinding as a cheap monitor can be, that is.

18. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I never got why people thought AC tracks looked " so much better" ....seems proved now it was just shaders and other stuff ( whatever )

BUT .......Look at the 2 stands in Silverstone pics.

You tell me which is best, plain as the nose on your face. ;)

( imho rF2 Silverstone stand has more detail looks more 3D / solid, AC looks flatter, less realistic.

19. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

No. Auto Exposure is not going to be reintroduced.

20. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

How in earth a game running in a monitor should force you to close your eyes because it is summer? Are you serious?