Build 946 Get Missing Component does not work

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by WhiteShadow, Apr 4, 2015.

1. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

I have used this hosts before with Build 930 and everything has worked fine, Build 946 there seem to be some problem and I`ve spent hours trying to download it from the lobby, deleting files etc. and nothing seem to help.

Third Party Components:

vmod ~IsR~Fiat_500-695
    Vehicle 500_695Abarth does not download, I can find 500_695Abarth.rfcmp from Packages folder the file size is 0 bytes.

vmod REVS_F1_Dubai
    Location Dubai Autodrome v1.04 does not download, I can not find Dubai Autodrome v1.04 from Packages folder.

vmod -F2R-IMSA_Celica_GTO-
    Location Road_America does not download, I can find Road_America from Packages folder the file size is 0 bytes.

vmod LL_TWF1_RD05_CHINA
    Location RaceRfactor_China_2012 does not download, I can find RaceRfactor_China_2012 from Packages folder the file size is 0 bytes.

ISI Componets:

vmod GTO_leagues_IndyFinal
    Location ISI_Indianapolis_2013-v103 does not download, I can find ISI_Indianapolis_2013-v103 from Packages folder the file size is 0 bytes.

vmod -F2R-Skippy_at_Malaysia_v158-
    Location ISI_Malaysia_2007-v158 does not download, I can find ISI_Malaysia_2007-v158 from Packages folder the file size is 0 bytes.

Any clue :confused:

2. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Where is your DataPath? Not in program files I hope.

3. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

C:\Users\Tony\Documents\rFactor2

:)

4. SpatialDragon

SpatialDragon Registered

I just started a few days ago and had similar problems, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling before this latest update and today I updated and I am receiving the same messages as WhiteShadow. Plus, I am getting no audio in the EVE Historics F1,2 & 3. I deleted the game and reinstalled today but nothing seems to help.

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Our private league server works just as before. No problems getting the mod or the missing components using 946.

6. SpatialDragon

SpatialDragon Registered

C:\Program Files (x86)\rFactor2\Core

I did not change the destination.

7. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

If you have your DataPath in program files then the game will not be able to write to the packages folder unless you run rf2 as admin, disable UAC or manually modify the permissions of the packages folder to allow non-admins to write.

This is why the default location for the DataPath is in the documents folder.

8. SpatialDragon

SpatialDragon Registered

Then the programmer should have told the files to go to documents. I did not change it. Maybe in past builds it was done differently.

9. matf1

matf1 Registered

Nope, it's always asked you where do you want to put it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

10. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

When installing rf2 it asks where to put the core and datapath. It defaults to core to program files because the core never changes. The datapath defaults to the documents folder because that is where the settings and content goes. If you changed it from the default paths then it's up to you to make sure you actually have write permissions to that folder.

11. SpatialDragon

SpatialDragon Registered

If the programmers KNOW there is a problem and obviously they do, then they should fill in the pathway to a non x86 file. I did finally do their job and assign it to a users file. Now all the files are showing up, so hopefully it will all work. What a pain having to do all these files multiple times because the programmers can't fill in the file pathway name properly.

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

If you change the main folder during the installation it will default to that same new folder for the data path - I wonder if you went to change it, then cancelled, and it still overrode the normal data path?

The installer will default to a program files core, and a user documents data path, but if it lets you change it you can't really blame the programmers for it. Again, it could be it 'accepted your folder' when you didn't really give it one, and that would be a bug, so if that's the case it would be good to confirm it rather than just say the programmers should make everything work. It's not that simple, if it were it would never be a problem...

13. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

The developers do know the problems with UAC which is exactly why the path is already filled in to the documents folder (exactly as you are suggesting). If your datapath is somewhere else that was your own doing. Don't feel bad though, a lot of people are uneducated about UAC and insist on overwriting the default path that the installer uses and end up having problems later on.

14. SpatialDragon

SpatialDragon Registered

I did not change it until the third time. I never touch that because I honestly do not know that much about where to put these types of files. I let the computer do it. I am just a simple sim-racer, not a computer programmer. None of the other games I have downloaded and I play four other games online have been this difficult to get started. From what I have seen of the game in operation it will be worth the trouble, but it really should be simpler. The consumer should not have to change the destination pathway. This may be a new change with the latest update(s) but it needs to be looked at.

15. redapg

redapg Registered

You can blame the programmers.... BUT ... blame the ones from microsoft.
    How can it be that the default setting for the first user, which is normally the one who installs windows, is set to "maximum restricted" in the UAC.
    That is the biggest bul..l.sh..it in my eyes.
    And there are lots of problems with other software, caused by the UAC, it's not only rF2.

16. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

The user doesn't have to change the default path. Here is a video of the installer, note the default datapath is in the documents folder. If you don't mess with this then you shouldn't have a problem.

rF2 is a flexible platform with lots of options. People are allowed to override the default datapath if they want but they (ISI) expect people to be knowledgeable of what they are doing if they don't accept the defaults. Trust me, ISI would have a massive backlash if they stopped letting users pick their own custom datapath location when installing the sim. This isn't pCARS or a console sim where you have to fit in one box.

17. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Yeah, UAC has it's problems. But it also has some advantages with regards to not letting viruses have full access to the system. It seems like most people by now have a good understanding of how UAC works. And most game/app developers (Including ISI) know where to put stuff. Microsoft has been pushing users/developers to stop putting stuff all over the disk and to stop putting registry settings in HKLM ever sense Windows 98. When Vista came along they decided enough was enough and dropped the hammer.

18. SpatialDragon

SpatialDragon Registered

I have ZERO gain by complaining. If you are the programmer, fix it. If you are not, try the latest and you will see something is wrong. I am running my pc in admin mode. I did not change the pathway. ALL I want is to make it smoother for the people that follow. If this is the way you guys help. No wonder game is not more popular. That is a real damn shame.

19. Woodee

Woodee Registered

These guys are telling you the facts, you (SpatialDragon) getting pissy about it, makes no difference to the FACTS.

20. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Well you had problems, I then gave you advice and now you are working. What more help can I offer you?

Anyways, I just showed you a video of the installer... there is absolutely nothing to fix. The default paths should not need admin rights. If you actually watched the video you would see I did use the latest build.