rFactor 2 Build 946 Now Available!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Apr 3, 2015.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Not that I know of, no.

He said sorting options are coming next. I would have preferred them in this build, but I guess baby steps in development are useful, too.

2. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I'm happy if sorting is coming next!

I hope others will try NSX--it's a huge, noticeable drop, so either everyone should be able to see it immediately, or, some of us have a special problem. All settings maxxed here. Dropping reflections on road and environment to low made no difference (same as prior builds for me).

3. Lgel

Lgel Registered

Thanks Juergen-BY, solved as you can see in my edited posts.

4. Hagen Tröger

Hagen Tröger Registered

I even tested silverstone with Honda with HDR off and I think the gfx is ok, but I get white backlights and gradations in the sky :)

But it's nice to get gfx without artefacts now with HDR on

5. boxer

boxer Registered

I understand that Tim... but I am referring to non HDR + driving lights. As it stand's I would it's un-usable...

With out the driving lights on it looks fine.

Here are the results:
    1pm
    View attachment 16275 View attachment 16276

Now at 1am
    View attachment 16277 View attachment 16278

6. boxer

boxer Registered

That would make more sense.

7. Tosch

Tosch Registered

The NSX is not optimized for large grids. There are only two LOD stages and both have very high detail. The gfx engine has to render thousands of polys for every car even if the car is 500 meters away and barely visible.

8. stonec

stonec Registered

Well didn't Tim just state you are running compromised graphics when turning HDR off. Lights and everything are optimized for HDR on. Can't have everything I guess.

9. boxer

boxer Registered

How I'm I as a user compromising the graphics?

10. Rony1984

Rony1984 Registered

Hi Tosch, you are correct, and I was aware that it only has 2 LODs. It was already a very fps hungry car with the previous builds. There is, however, a massive difference in performance with a fuller field of NSX's in comparison with build 930 on my machine and apparently Marc's.

Edit: just to add to the possibility of a possible bug/change: I tested with more cars on different circuits, of which all except for the nsx showed exact the same performance as before.

11. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

LDR was introduced as a VERY early alternative to HDR pipeline (and probably as a natural extension of the previous rF1 life). Now, everything we are doing it's managed to work with HDR, it is optimized for HDR, it is code and art to work with HDR. When we do tracks we works in HDR, when we do cars we works in HDR. When we do textures we use albedo maps, not LDR diffuse. Not anymore. Everybody knows that. Same for code, GFX related.

We are in 2015, LDR concept is very OLD, and actual HDR is less expensive in terms of FPS than in the past, doesn't need any profile to fight with.. like in the past, it give you consistent light along the entire planet and the full 24/7 time cycle, do not create artifacts on dark areas, do not over-saturate primary colors, do not give you that old sunglass output anymore, do not burn your cockpit view anymore, do not snap to blacks as previous TM etc.....so I can't really see the point to run a game in Low Dynamic Range to bypass (and then screw) the real light engine....and as Tim already said, I believe this is going to be dropped from UI somewhere in time. Also, even my laptop can manage the HDR with low settings, which is still looking better than LDR.

Enjoy HDR. :)

12. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

+1 for me, too. Aware already, but something (?!?) has changed this build.

13. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

As usual, a lot of confusion could be saved if the UI was updated to avoid these problems. So when the new driving lights are completely horrid and embarrassing in non-HDR, all non-HDR options should have been eliminated. I am a HDR user since it was released, but try to not let people select "bad" options whenever possible. The driving lights confirm that non-HDR is dead from a dev point of view, even if people weren't paying attention to all the discussion here. So why can we still choose it?

14. boxer

boxer Registered

The only reason I brought it up is because I am testing a MOD for a group and testing driving lights with and without HDR is one of the tests. I also know that some here were running non HDR mode in the previous build.

If there is an easy fix for the over brightness, I would fix it, if there isn't then Tim's suggestion is best or perhaps warn the user of the side affects of turning if off...

And I agree HDR in this version is outstanding.

15. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Yeah, I can understand and make sense. I don't think there is a fix for that on your side, and I also think this is part of the new code to make headlights@night working properly with the new TM, letting the light/sky simulation producing untouched outputs without hacks.

Point for modders is, our light engine, despite what others may think, is EXTREMELY complex and it is working with real kcd/m2, and that's behind a tons of variable related to the physics of the light for sky/sun/moon and scattering phenomena...this makes the two environments VERY HARD (I'd say impossible) to work at best on both conditions (LDR/HDR), using the same graphics "basement". If you want the best out of one of the two, you need to forget about the other and viceversa.

I'd suggest to focus on optimizing that MOD to run at best with HDR. Which is what we're doing...:)

16. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

It seems, my question was overseen...

Did you removed the AI Calibration?

17. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

So what is up with the multithreaded physics? Why would you turn them on or off? Seems like something that should be pretty major but no real explanation or anything.

From what I notice it's slightly more stable framerate wise and that's about it. Is that what we should expect to see?

18. McFlex

McFlex Registered

Yeah bring it back :D

19. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I imagine it was done to eliminate the possibility of crashes that some people had. I read about it not really being the culprit but it doesn't hurt to eliminate possibilities.

20. McFlex

McFlex Registered

If you didn't expirience any CPU problems in build 930 you can enable it.

For the problems which occurred in build 930 have a look here: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/23794-Build-930-CPU-bar-maxed-out