Steering Wheel delay w. ISI tracks

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by dersirromet, Apr 1, 2015.

1. dersirromet

dersirromet Registered

hey Guys,

for some reason with the ISI-Tracks I experience a quite mentionable steering-lag/delay(Meaning that the steering wheel on the monitor reacts way later than I actually steer) that I don't have with, for example, Mid-Ohio, where I can put ALL settings on the highest(!). When having the lag, the game is still running at about 100 FPS, CPU isn't maxed out.

I expected it to be the setting of details of the track as there might be more details than on Mid-Ohio, but setting the textures and track detail to the lowest didn't help. Only setting ALL settings to the lowest did actually help, when I tried setting a few down or just one, I wasn't able to figure out which one causes the lags. Yes, I tried also playing around with the VSync settings, didn't make a difference.

Has somebody any idea how to solve this? Assetto Corsa doesn't have that problem even on a pretty high setting, so there must be a solution!

Specs:
    CPU: Intel i5-4570
    GPU: Geforce GTX 760, 2GB Ram
    Ram: 16GB
    1 Monitor, Full-HD

2. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

I would suggest firstly making sure in controller settings the vehicle set is checked, and also be sure in the difficulty tab, steering help is Off.
    With those Pc specs and a decent screen you should not be getting any noticeable input lag. What wheel do you use ?

3. dersirromet

dersirromet Registered

G27

Yup, All Aids are off, Vehicle Set checked. Again: this doesn't occur in other racing games(rf1, GSC, AC etc.) OR even in rf2 when I use tracks like Mid-Ohio, just the ISI tracks like Sao Paulo(well, technically Reiza, but you know...) or Indy make this happen, so it seems to be some problem with either the CPU or the GPU. I had this problem when the Assetto Corsa engine wasn't as refined, as it is today, but that changed after a few updates, with rf2 it's still there.

4. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

Well you have eliminated the usual culprit for steering wheel input lag ( steering help ) So I am as stumped as you, sorry I couldn't help, but I'm sure some other more technically minded members will be along soon to help out. Good luck.

5. dersirromet

dersirromet Registered

6. dersirromet

dersirromet Registered

After testing a little bit I get the feeling that the delay just increases with increased effects, especially reflections, the Detail-depth on the other hand doesn't seem to make any difference(which I still don't understand, as this seems to be the only real difference between ISI and the Mid-Ohio track). This leads to two questions: Why doesn't this occur in ANY WAY with Assetto Corsa, which has more complex graphical effects? second: Can I change that in any way?
    Really, the delay doesn't even seem that much, but it's enough to make a car, which in Mid-Ohio(without the delays) is perfectly controllable at the limit, quite difficult to control, it takes the fun at the limit out of it...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2015
  7. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Turn off on-screen steering wheel and what does the car feel like?

8. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Here some suggestions. In case of you know that stuff already just ignore my post.

check your rFactor physics cpu load with ctrl + c (purple bar). More infos here:
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...hat-does-it-show?p=32001&viewfull=1#post32001

on my system I've disabled vsync and with RadeonPro I limit the frames around 60 - 63 fps (to get rid of tearing on multiview as good as possible)
    you can do this also with the "Max Framerate":60, (in this example 60 FPS) value from your player.json .
    default vsync has some disadvantages but it depends on ...
    More about that topic you can read for example here:
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/9888-Input-lag-measurements

Use a USB 2.0 port from the backplane of the Motherboard for your wheel.

Disable any Software with direct3d injection if you use fanaled or any other (rF2)plugin disable them.

Is it possible to reproduce the input lag on a second rf2 installation (fresh install with Lite Installer + affected ISI car and track content) ?

good luck

9. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

When the wheel is lagging do you also get a drop in Framerate? Another thing that can impact input lag is max prerendered frames in the nvidia control panel. Set that to 1. It would be interesting to see what the CPU graph (Ctrl+C) shows while the wheel is lagging.

Could you also supply these details?

OS
    VSync
    Fullscreen or Windowed
    Nvidia driver version

One other interesting test would be to see if you also have this problem with build 910.

10. Panigale

Panigale Banned

If you use vsync you will have lag, significant lag.
    If you have max framerate set in game (player json file) and you fall below that FPS # the sim lags very bad.

Also, fire up afterburner and look at how hard your GPU is working. If it maxed at 95% or greater that isn't going to help.

How are you connecting your display? If 1080p via the HDMI output on the card that may be a problem as well trying to push 100 fps, if you are using a DVI to HDMI that should be fine.

11. dersirromet

dersirromet Registered

Wow, thanks for all the help. Infos and COnclusions until now:
    - Restricted the Framerate to 65(Ingame it shows 66, also when I restricted it to 60 it showed 61. Normal or is there some problem with the synchronity?)
    - WIn7 64-Bit
    - VSync: See below, tried them all, now turned it off
    - Fullscreen! (60Hz by the way, monitor and game of course), HDMI-connection
    - NVidia Driver: Updated to the newest version yesterday, but the problem isn't new, had it before.
    - I reinstalled rf2 yesterday, didn't change anything

- CPU load seems to be fine
    - I obviously forgot to press APPLY yesterday when I changed the VSync-Settings, now I found out:
    - VSync Software/Video: It lags hard or is restricted to 33FPS.
    - Vsync Off/GPU: It lags a little, now the track doesn't make a difference anymore.

Now I could live with that lag, but the other games don't have a lag like that, it doesn't seem "normal" and it still influences the reaction time.
    There is some interesting minor detail: Since a few rf2-versions, whenever I go into replay or exit back into the pits, the game itself lags for a few miliseconds, including the sound and the mouse, which looks to me like there is some synchronity-problem(Edit: Okay, that might be from saving the replay).

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2015
  12. dersirromet

dersirromet Registered

I recognized something else: When I look at, let's say, bridges or grand stands while driving, I can see that every 0,3-0,4 seconds there's a little "jump"(lag) when they go faster by than "normal", so seemingly there is a synchronisation-matter. This occurs when VSync if off as well as when VSync is at "GPU". Not sure if that behaviour is normal or has anything to do with the steering-delay.

13. dersirromet

dersirromet Registered

To Woodees attempt to turn of on-screen wheel:

You still feel the latency of the steering, but your mind isn't as influenced as it is when seeing the latenced wheel itself.

14. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

turn off AA
    lower resolution
    put shadows to medium
    Fxaa off ( ok to leave HDR on )

is it still there ?

15. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

That's just masking the problem though. I would leave it on because it's the easiest way to detect the lag. Once you find the right settings to get the least lag, then switch it to fixed of off.

16. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Even with Max Framerate set the framerate will still fluctuate +-1. This is normal. If you want ou can also set it to 59.5 and it normally stays right at 60. The best combo for reducing input lag that I have found is:
    VSync Off
    Max Framerate=60
    Fullscreen (some OS's force VSync when you run windowed mode)
    Maximum pre-rendered frames=1 in the Nvidia control panel. You can set this globally but if you have an rFactor2 profile then be sure to set it there too. (this is important and has been found to solve the 930 CPU bug for some.)

You say you're seeing objects in the distance sort of surging. I'm kind of thinking you may be experiencing the CPU bug that many are having with 930. With your specs you really shouldn't have any lag even at max settings. That is why I suspect it's this bug in 930. You can roll back to 910 by simply downloading the Lite installer and then install it right over the top of your current install. If that doesn't help then download the 930 Lite and install it over the top and you will be back to 930 again.

17. dersirromet

dersirromet Registered

At the exact time you were writing this, I tried setting the Max-Framerate to the "Hz"-Rate of the monitor(60) and the objects-lag is gone, the bridges and grandstands now pass by smoothly :). Also I set the "PhysX"-Mode to the Graphics-Card instead of the "Automation", felt like that made it faster. The Max. pre-rendered frames=1 also helped, thanks!

Now the delay is only noticeable anymore, when I'm "wobbling" the wheel, so it's fine :). I'll give 910 a try, if that doesn't help additionally, I can work with what I#ve got!

Thanks for all your help!

18. dersirromet

dersirromet Registered

Okay, now it's as bad as it was in the beginning again, despite the fact that none of the settings have changed. I'm giving up on this for now and hope, that it's gonna be fixed again.

19. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

20. dersirromet

dersirromet Registered

Just tried it, big improvement, thanks. (Just Indy seems to be laggy but there you can see the framerate there actually dropping below the 60, must be too many details there).
    And I have to say: Boy, did they improve the User Menu since then... But well, doesn't matter at the wheel!