Thumps up or like button to mod threads?

Discussion in 'Third Party Content' started by Korva7, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

Would it make sense? Would it be possible to implement?
    I think it would be good feedback system for mod makers, because there is people who downloads and likes the mods, but is not into writing on the forums.
    And if i was a mod maker i would like to know if people like the mod.
    This idea came to my head, when i saw someone say to modder, that you should do the modding for your self and not to expect much of feedback from mod users. I still think that big part of the motivation for modding is to do something that others can also enjoy, and knowing that they do would probably be nice thing for the modder.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2015
  2. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

We had that kind of system before on the forum, with reputation bars for users, but eventualy it got removed because abuse of the system.

3. Emery

Emery Registered

If you're a mod maker wanting to know whether people like your mod, you're looking at downloads & online servers.

If you're a mod maker looking for feedback, a thumbs up/down is not helpful. You want a critique that discusses strengths and weaknesses, with reasoning, which help you prioritize the next round of work. Different points of view as to what your community consider important that are considerate.

4. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

Prodigy, was the abuse that modders them self tried to manipulate their reputation level? If it was that, maybe the likes could be seen only by the modder. The meaning of the system then was just that modder would see how many people they have made happy :) So this would be only a motivational thing.

Emery, i think that other kind of cars is used more for online racing than others, so the amount of people racing online might not indicate the amount of people driving the car. Maybe the like button also can't indicate that how much people are liking the mod if everyone presses it as they download it.
    Constructive feedback would still be given in the thread.

Btw, I'am not a modder my self. Just thought if something like this would be nice for them.

5. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

As I remember there were users that were 'boosting' a good reputation between each other, liking everything they say and giving negative reputation to other people without reasons and explanation. Then there was some chaos because of it and the reputation system was disabled.

But the system was not bound to modders only, it was available for all users and posts. There is no "modders" group (badge) on the forum which can tell who is a modder and who not, so this is something that needs to be done first to separate them from others. Then you need to validate who is a legit modder and who can false represent, make "like" buttons available only for their posts etc.. Maybe a simple "Thank you" button for posts could do the job without any reputation, only to show how much likes it got.

But all in all I don't think it's worth to do it, nobody missed the reputation system really. I think you are the first in last few years that has mention it :)

6. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

That "thank you" button was kind of what i was after, but that button would be for the thread. So when you make a new thread you can select that does it have that thank you button, And only the one who made that thread would see the amount of "thank you"s given, so there would be no reason to boost that.

Yes i'am sure not many people think things like this :)

7. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Allot of people think like that. its the sole core of social media, just like things like a madman. even if you have no idea why you like something :)

But a thread-option for that button might work, I agree that modders are probably not seeing the bulk of happy people taking their work. A thank-you button could help allot to see some appreciation, especially for those starting out. It can give a big boost for new-modders seeing some appreciation. They might continue to learn!

8. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

Yes, exactly!

9. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Prodigy... new album, new avatar. ;P

[​IMG]

10. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

Noel Hibbard, Does that ISI logo under your name mean that you are ISI's guy? Not ISIS :p

If you are, maybe i can think that ISI have seen this suggestion of giving option to put "like/thumps up/thank-you" button on threads and considers it?

11. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I don't work for them. I'm simply a tester. Tim originally had the voting system enabled but people got carried away with it so he disabled it. I'm not sure if it can be enabled for a specific subforum or if it is only a global thing. It would give some idea of which mods have a good rep though.

12. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

Okay. What i was speaking about here, was kind of like button, but the likes would not be seen by others. Just the one who started the thread would see them. So it wouldn't be same kind of thing as the voting system that was before.