10 Reasons why rFactor 2 is both awesome and frustrating at the same time

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Marc Collins, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

...this is obviously tongue-in-cheek given the other two threads, but not completely.

The superior sim qualities and features of rF2 are what endears us to it. The chaotic and slow development can be incredibly frustrating to us die-hards and is clearly off-putting to most newcomers.

So in reality, I agree with most of what is on BOTH sets of lists in the other two threads. What we want to see is progress made finalizing and polishing all the good stuff, some of which is not available in competing products, while moving to a system of updating and adding content that pays attention to details so we are not constantly taking two steps forward and one step back. One step forward, but always forward, and more frequently than 2 or 3 months in between, should be the goal.

By that I mean I would be much happier to get a series of small build updates that try to comprehensively fix or improve one key element and leave everything else alone. We can all provide feedback on that item (preferably in a test build) without having to do the usual test every possible feature and setting in case something has been thrown out of whack or is broken. Or to try to figure which of three unnamed code improvements explains a change (for better or worse) in element "n" of the sim.

I know lots of things are interlinked in code, so this isn't going to be exaggerated to the point that we have completely "finished" items mixed with stuff that has barely had any attention paid to it, but it's better than the chaos that exists now. rF2 is still in beta in reality. Call it something else for purposes of selling licences, but until this corner is turned, there should be no expectation that a non-fanatical user (the people who populate this board) would ever put up with the hassle. And we know everyone here is far from completely happy.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2015
  2. Damian Baldi

Damian Baldi Registered

if the servers running races were as popular as forums, RF2 will be the best sim, no doubt.

3. kiko0602

kiko0602 Registered

+1

4. Damian Baldi

Damian Baldi Registered

22:00hs GMT

221 persons reading/writing about rfactor2

158 driving online

5. Emery

Emery Registered

Hey, some of us are stuck at work!

6. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

uh oh.........fat Elvis.

7. Damian Baldi

Damian Baldi Registered

I know I know. I have a job too. But you said it "some", not "most".

8. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

Chaotic and slow development as opposed to?

So if you call rF2 a beta, what should we call Assetto Corsa? pre-alpha? Because that title has the 1.1 label while it's at a far more incomplete state than rF2 was even 2 years ago, but because of pretty graphics and licensed exotic cars it somehow gets a free pass.
    All sim these days are WIP, but remember that rFactor2 is closest to being complete.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2015
  9. bwana

bwana Registered

Damn work.. 12 hrs at work (on forum ;) ) 7 hrs sleeping = 5 hrs driving if the good Mrs has finished with me... ;)

10. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I'll give one reason:

Having the license to this car but not having it built yet.

[​IMG]

11. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Great points.

12. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Most frustrating: People that join room and don't say a word. :mad: lol

speaka da englise :) ..........Bonjour , Hola, Guten Tag ......Aloha lol

dbaldi +1 ie: more people looking then driving ( that was my reply in the original " Whats not right with rF2" thread)

13. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

oh my goodness !@!

that's blasphemy !@!

Don't ever go to Kuno's !@! ................. they will tar, feather, draw and quarter you and put your head on a stake and all your online mates will be banished as heretics.

loool ;)

14. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

What amazes me is when they do the compares of the same 2 cars and tracks in 2 sims.

They never delve into the things listed , on the good or bad side.

We should do huge list of all features in rF2 and give them a simple 0 or 1 or a 0.5 for as good as.

Assetto Corsa I would give the 1 too many things, alas less important things to what I want in a sim. ;)

IE:

rF2

Physics - 1
    Modelling - 0.5

AC

Modelling - 0.5
    UI - 1
    Sound - 1
    OSD - 1
    Realtime Post Process - 1

Modelling is a real problem child, I really like AC's look and detail and effects on the other hand I like how ISI model stuff like the big Italy billboards
    you get my drift.

Replays is another, I really like all the stuff you can do in a AC replay or photomode but on the other hand I like the limitless camera controls of rF2.

P.S.

Reviewers need to get their act together anyways imho the 2013 ones of rFactor2 were shockers with glaringly inaccuracy like they never even tried to set it up proper, plus they never even gave it a rating.

About time they did before it mostly finalized and be honest when comparing to other "gold" titles they review.

P.S: Anyone remember those pro race drivers did the Project Cars ads years ago ? ............they should hang their heads in shame. lol p

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2015
  15. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Can you please start condensing your multiple posts into one? Don't even have to make sense, just go crazy once.

16. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

That was redundant

17. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

1.First one was direct reply to the topic not enough drivers and drivers that do not communicate.

2. The second one was a joke about Kunos hierachy :)
    Associat0r comment rings truth imo.

3. Was a after thought from Associat0r comment ( it is a good point )

When I think about it I probably never read a good sim review for rF2.

Yes, I know, many people on many forums will point out this is because of the bias given to how a sim looks these days.

On the other hand for example ( I would think ) iRacings user's main concerns would be in the physics and race-ability direction.

All I am saying I would like to see a review approached from both perspectives is all.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2015
  18. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

All I was saying is, hit the Reply With Quote button, type your response. Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C. Do the same with the next post but paste your previous response. So on and so forth, you respond to three or four people in one post.

19. Heindrich

Heindrich Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2015