10 reasons why rFactor 2 ISNT a great racing sim

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by msportdan, Mar 25, 2015.

1. msportdan

msportdan Banned

okay ppl list 10 things you don't like about RF2 and could be improved or altered.... this is important as the other thread.

1)Inconsistent ffb across cars mainly open wheelers
    2)No custom championship mode.
    3)no random weather
    4)Package system for editing elements is fiddly/confusing
    5)Rain races generally broken with AI
    6)no rain effects on windscreen, general lack of visual effects.
    7)no full series from ISI full wtcc grid etc etc
    8)Sound could be improved vastly
    9)Choice of tracks
    10)doesnt look like pcars/AC

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2015
  2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

That's not saying a lot, but it's a free world :p

3. msportdan

msportdan Banned

if we all blow smoke up ISI ass, then they will never know what we dislike about rf2 for them to improve, this thread isnt doing anything bad apart from pointing out what people would like improved, if anything makes more useful than the other "pointless thread"

4. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

No point in creating drama where there is none. :)
    I don't exactly think Lazza meant that my thread is important and yours isn't.
    I think he feels both are equally unimportant, which he of course is free to think. ;)

Anyways, if you had read through my OP in the other thread, you'd have noticed that it hasn't anything to do with blowing smoke up anyone's ass.
    That thread serves a purpose, and the points made in it will be gathered and used in a (for now) secret ongoing project of mine.

It isn't in any way just another ISI worshipping thread. It actually serves a purpose. Just wait and see... :cool:

5. msportdan

msportdan Banned

oh ok fair enough..

6. Minibull

Minibull Member

Mmm...coz if the public don't yarn on about whats wrong with it (like humans do for anything) they'd have no way of knowing what was wrong...right?
    So we can't "blow smoke" yet we can sling s**t at will? Love how any praise for a groups work can seemingly be shot down so quickly and it's almost considered the norm XD

Screw it, I'll bite, have my monthly longwinded and tired rant lol ;)

For a few of your points. FFB: Good thing you can adjust quite a lot about it to suit personal preference. Have a problem with the feel of say, the F2? Well according the the physics engineer, you are having troubles adapting to the fundamental wheel feedback from that car...it has been discussed many times lol

Championship: This would only occur in the long long term future, surely. If it didn't, there would be a lot more grumpiness than there is now regarding a lack of championship...I would rather see a more complete simulation experience than integrate a token championship, still with funky lighting and tyres issues and rulesets and weather...

Random Weather: Maybe when they start focusing their resources on weather, we may see that :) Good early early signs with the Brabham update right...

Packaging System: I can only think that the people who have trouble with the mod system are people who have only experienced Steam workshop for mods or something...I was always so close to beating my head in with rF1 based drag n drop systems, so many reinstalls just to get a clean version and no stuffups online. If you are meaning about modding, then I remember someone saying that you don't need to repackage mods to test things out with config tweaks or some thing like that. Something about you can alter data files while the car is sitting in the garage and it will reload when it goes back on track.

Rain: As above...when the time comes. Currently it looks like new rules systems, new UI, new graphics system tweaks, and new tyre system models. That's a pretty impressive spread for a small team.

Sound: It has been said it will be worked over as part of the ongoing development...

Eh: Great, would suck to have 3 sims that look the same...jk :p
    DoF and lens effects have their place in a replay IMO, but again, core fundamentals would be highly appreciated by all, I'm sure, rather than the dressings and trimmings around the edge.

If people can't handle or understand progressive development like this, the best thing would be to step away and come back in half a year say. Pick a future build number and come back when rF2 reaches it, see whats up. So many many of us know what needs to be worked on, what can be improved, and it's a bloody good bet the devs know their product very well...but this stuff cannot just be chucked together and switched on. It may take years for things to get super sussed, but I'm keen to keep riding the train, as atm, I can't find something that gives me a better feeling of racing, and I'm quite ok with the way the development goes.
    You have a team of extremely talented people that you could count on your fingers and toes working their collective butts off on this ridiculously complex piece of software. Stuff doesn't just take a 10 minute fix...and constant criticism of a known flaw doesn't actually help anything...other than get someone a ban maybe lol.

After seeing the Blackcaps beat SA to get into the Cricket World Cup final last night, have some faith guys...ISI will pull though and keep chugging along XD

7. stonec

stonec Registered

8. Lgel

Lgel Registered

I am not a fanboy, but I disagree with you on some points:

1)For me a positive, it is car and setup dependent, as it should be. Sometimes the model is not accurately designed.

2)Frankly you can do it yourself with ease, with a spreadsheet or paper based.

3)With the current state of rain racing, it is a blessing.

4)There I totally disagree. It is one of the strongest point of RF2 once you understand well how it works, a very professional tool. They are good tutorials in this forum and on Youtube. Coupled with Noel's tools it is a breeze to repackage (it takes me less than five minutes to create and install a new package). I use it a lot because I like to tweak the physics of cars, or pack skins. It is so easy to install and remove mods, that I am not affraid to try a mod, I know it won't mess my installation. I recognize that changing skins and sounds should not change the version of the original mod.

5,6)Agreed but fix first all the aspects of dry races.

7)This should be covered by modders. ISI should concentrate on the framework (The sim itself), and on providing samples, tools and documentation to lower the cost of entry for modders.

8)Some mods have good enough sounds (ASR, EGT, BES, BMWE90, ...) to name a few.

9)There are more good tracks than I have time to race on, they are many good adaptations that will still improve.

10)I think graphics are good enough not to ruin the show when they'll fix the cockpit view overexposition (WIP as we were informed).

I lament the lack of care for details (had to change every .veh for my BT20 skinpack because the modder changed the name of the cam file, same thing for Nissan GTR (comunity skinpack ruined because they changed cams and upgrade file names).

The delay for fixing bugs, for instance cars still fly above the track at Indianapolis in replays ten months after the realease of the track, Renault FR3.5 still doesn't report ride heights (half an hour job fixing it if the model is not completly rotten).

The total lack of user documentation.

Cheers.

9. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

1) Inconsistent AI behavior when raining (or too fast or too slow)
    2) Absent visual effects when raining even making difficult to know where/when the rain starts to fall. No drops or other effects generate few immersion on weather game-play.
    3) No Championship Mode (inexplicably)
    4) Modding / Package too complex
    5) No moveable or dockable overlay items on screen as HUD, Message Center, Pit Menu Window, etc.
    6)
    7)
    8)
    9)
    10)

I couldn't go further 5 honestly. BTW, the rF2 is a good sim though. I replied this thread trying to be constructive.

10. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Areas I am working to improve are race condition and results management, storage, benchmarking, analysis and sharing. rFactor 2's dynamic environment capability necessitates new solutions for developing and maintaining meaningful reference points where differences are isolated to driver and engineer performance. Additionally, non-traditional forms of performance comparison may add meaning and motivation for some drivers where traditional offline benchmarks are not appealing.

11. Gonzas

Gonzas Registered

1)HDR is broken on AMD cards , some circuits (from ISI too) have big black areas on the road, like big "artifacts" , there is impossible to have good headlights and taillights on both situations (hdr on and off) and is almost impossible for modders to make them look fine (not perfect, just fine) on both situations
    2)No custom championship mode..... i agree.
    3)rain is good, aquaplanning is great and dry line is awesome, but driving from cockpit view (at it should be done always) i far from being inmersive, we need drops and effects on the windshields there are videos and pictures of WIPs with that feature from 2011.....
    4)Package system for editing elements is fiddly/confusing ... for me is OK for modders and for league admins but not for average players that wahts to play on a specific circuits with an specific car with 5 friends.
    5)Rain races generally broken with AI ....yes.
    6)no rain effects on windscreen, general lack of visual effects. true!!!
    7)no full series from ISI full wtcc grid etc etc ......not important in an moddable game
    8)Sound could be improved vastly ... VERY TRUE
    9)Choice of tracks .....also not important in a moddable platform
    10)doesnt look like pcars/AC .......true, but thats not the problem . the real plroblem is that it doesnt look even as rFactor 1. :(

11) please , modders wants to mod, people wants to learn and mod, but make it modding friendly. the developer mod should work on every track you have installed on the single player mode. you can not develop physics on that oval properly
    and you can not change something on physics ,then pack the mod and then test.
    so the first thing you have to do is to "convert" circuts for the dev mode...... make it more friendly please.

12) antialiasing is not bad but on AMD you have to use supersampling if you want good AA on transparent materials, people with 3 screens can no tuse supersampling with that resolution i guess you can if you have a TOP end GPU but , maybe you can do something with that and lets us still use multisampling

13) even with that i love rFactor 2

:)

12. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

1)Inconsistent ffb across cars mainly open wheelers --- Different cars... different FFB
    2)No custom championship mode. --- This
    3)no random weather --- It has a semi random weather
    4)Package system for editing elements is fiddly/confusing --- At all, i can edit/package in less than 30 sec, if i can, you too
    5)Rain races generally broken with AI --- As my performance
    6)no rain effects on windscreen, general lack of visual effects. --- Not relevant for me but i would like to have it
    7)no full series from ISI full wtcc grid etc etc --- Biggest weaker point historicaly for ISI
    8)Sound could be improved vastly --- Depend of the MOD
    9)Choice of tracks --- At all
    10)doesnt look like pcars/AC --- I like the way it looks, its more realistic than those simcades

13. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

-And that's exactly how it should be done imo. :)

14. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

It is still a great sim.

1- Lack of single season/championship
    2- Quality level of stock content varies greatly (textures, modeling, sound, FFB)
    3- The launcher is sexy but that theme is not applied through the rest of the UIs, all leave me very displeased
    4- Slow development and updates (of build or especially content)
    5- Pieced content, meaning we have very little variety of tracks especially, or one car (sometimes two) that only fit a couple of tracks
    6- Pitcrew or lack thereof
    7- A lot of tweaking is needed with the AI, from having to individually apply setups to each car, to clunky car configuration setting (instead of AI simply matching user config), to not being able to set AI to run alternate livery
    8- Graphics, for whatever reason. From being held up by DX9 capabilities to just how things are rendered or whatever. I do not know the technicalities, only what my eyes see
    9- It would be cool to have ISI content be in a format that allows patching/updates instead of full downloads and reconfiguration
    10- The pointyness of the rF logo :p (or no random weather like GP3/GP4 permitted)

15. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

Hdr is not broken on amd cards, it and aa works extremely well on mine.
    I thought Gerald Jacobsons real weather plugin gave random weather, how random can real life meteo actually be.

16. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

rf2 is a great racing sim, I wouldn't play it or use their forums if I didn't think it was.

17. msportdan

msportdan Banned

just want to clarify that i dont think RF2 is crap or isnt a good sim, i was just playing on words with what hex started on the positive thread, all this is is getting peoples opinion and just discussion.

we are all here because we like/love rf2, we are all mature im sure we can discuss its downfalls in a civil manner. Some guys above have already corrected me on some of my points and thats fine with me and informative. :)

18. Chefmark

Chefmark Registered

RF2 is not perfect by a long shot but it is the best racing sim that does not cost you an arm & leg to play on.

19. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

1.Cannot hide passworded servers
    2.A quick jump in race is almost impossible
    3.Simple editing (draw distance) not easy enough
    4.Uninstalling mods can uninstall a bunch of tracks if you don't watch properly
    5.Making a server can be a bit of a faff

20. doug484

doug484 Registered

Speaking only as a veteran of 25+ years working in I.T...

1) Users/The SIM Community

Everything else is fine.