10 reasons why rFactor 2 is a great racing sim

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hexagramme, Mar 24, 2015.

1. mixer61

mixer61 Registered

First in french :J'ai l'impression de conduire une vraie voiture.Google translate:I like driving a real car

2. msportdan

msportdan Banned

john i did :)

3. Pilot37

Pilot37 Registered

1. Tyre & Physics makes it great fun with great force feedback and howling rubber under duress.
    2. Real road makes races evolve keeping them fun plus weather on the road and drying lines. Encourages a lap by lap search for the unattainable perfect lap.
    3. AI is the most competent I ever played against squeezing you without thumping into you...crashes are usually of your own doing.
    4. Historic cars ooze atmosphere and are truly engaging to drive.
    5. Customizes easily to your preferences
    6. Gritty historic tracks with truly frightening features (if you ever raced real cars).
    7. Ongoing development and friendly forum
    8. Some really good graphics on cars and selected tracks.
    9. Easy interface to add mods
    10. Dynamic time of day for 24 hour racing and time scaled racing.

4. hoover

hoover Registered

1) ability to host on Linux using WINE, no win license required (pretty solid already though a dedi linux server would be awesome)
    2) open file formats
    3) plugin / API support
    4) physics / tire model
    5) ffb
    6) realroad / dynamic weather
    7) mostly solid multiplayer once you manage to join a server
    8) great community
    9) non-corporate (read: startup-style) development and feedback loops to the devs
    10) offline play possible even with an expired "license"

Cheers, Uwe

5. klaasvh

klaasvh Registered

1) If I end up the trees it's because I did something wrong and I can't blame the physics
    2) The Howston still scares me
    3) If I get rear ended by an AI opponent it's because I brake to soon and not because they brake too late.
    4) Being able to create content myself.
    5) Historic F2 cars!
    6) Being able to adjust pretty much everyting to suit you.
    7) The dynamics of everyting, realroad, time of day etc.
    8) It simply simulates racing.
    9) ISI's way of going about their business.
    10) It's not even finished yet.

6. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Really talking about rF3? Please don't let that come back... it's been mentioned here that discussing that is way out there. And yes, the X-Files may be returning briefly but rF3 is way outer there :p.
    rFactor 2 has a long way to go in its life.

I feel like I'm driving a real car ;).

7. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

8. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

1: Physics engine
    2: Being able to race what I want, when I want it, with whom I want
    3: One payment up-front and it's yours, period
    4: Mod-ability on a very versatile platform
    5: Dynamic race surface
    6: Day/night transition in a nice and fluid way.
    7: Force Feedback
    8: Good AI - also online

things that will be good but aren't yet there:
    9: Rain! God it needs work to be good, mostly visually.
    10: On-going development. This is both great and annoying at the same time. Specially when flawed builds are put out. Grey join-button and lately 930 slow-down issue.

9. bwana

bwana Registered

read the post as in context to continuing evolution from Isi 's point of view. I'd expect rf2 to metamorphises in to ? Lets call it rf2b then shall we.

10. Chefmark

Chefmark Registered

All of the above but most of all the folks I race with, all gentleman racers willing to go out of their way to help you become a better racer and have more fun:)

11. kiko0602

kiko0602 Registered

whats the piont of this?are you making new game?or you want to be journalist?im just asking..

12. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

1 FFB is wonderfull
    2 a great F1 model - Marussia
    3 real road
    4 not to many **** mods
    5 online racing is sweet
    6 update system works nicely
    7 It has --- Tim Wheatley :)

13. cosimo

cosimo Registered

Alright, here we go. My 10 or so reasons why rFactor2 is a great racing sim.

1. The company. I have never seen a company develop a product like ISI before, very open and never hyping up, just working on their great product heads down, step by step, a bit slowly and with a few regressions here and there, but hey...
    2. Pricing model. Another sim like this simply doesn't exist. Assetto Corsa comes close to it, but then DLC, which is fair enough, but ISI is on another level.
    3. Physics and FFB. Best of breed. Some competitors are improving, but rF2 is light-years ahead.
    4. Tyres. Again, best of the lot. Since I tried endurance races (3h+) with longer stints, multiple pit stops and driver swaps, I really got to appreciate how tyres behaviour and wear make rF2 into a different experience compared to other sims.
    5. Realism. Difficult to express what this is, but it's the feeling that you are actually racing, even if it's a sim. I realized this sim was different the first time I went out for a practice run. The fact that I had to wait for the green lights in the pit lane and I had to turn off the speed limiter, and the game was not doing it for me. Details like these make rF2 great to me.
    6. Depth of the simulation. I remember when I saw the glowing brake discs for the first time and then read that the simulation takes into account the weight of the fuel moving inside the fuel tank. All the tyres, springs calculations... and that actually reflects on the physics and FFB.
    7. Historic content. I love that ISI picked up historic content with rF2. Thanks to that, I learned more about historic races, and I loved it. Bought a couple of very old books (this one for example) and I've seen my passion for motorsports build up from there. I started watching videos of 60s and 70s races and following the 24h of Le Mans and the awesome WEC championship. All because of rF2!
    8. Setup accuracy. Thanks to rF2 I learned more about the actual setup and mechanics of cars, and I like that you can feel setup changes when you are driving. Maybe not 100% accurate yet, but still very noticeable and believable.
    9. Fellow rF2 racers. During the past couple of years I met lots of talented simracers and learned a lot from them!
    10. Plugin API. I tried for fun and built the Delta Best plugin. I'm very satisfied with the result. The plugin interface is easy to use, fast and convenient.

14. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

He's William marsh masquerading as someone fast

Edit - A joke of course. No idea how fast William is.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2015
  15. matf1

matf1 Registered

1. Mistakes are down to driver issues, not physics anomalies or unexplained phenomena.
    2. FFB changes dramatically when adjusting dampening or caster
    3. So many compromises are required: drag for heat management, wear for grip, weight transfer and temperatures...
    4. The fact that most setup changes are for driver comfort and wear management, not speed.
    5. The AI can be tuned easily to provide realistic racing experiences(same pace but can't pass for example) instead of you being portrayed as a driving god.
    6. I push for a few laps then back of for a few to cool the tyres... or spin.
    7. Every lap is different and I can't oversell this one. ALL other sims are so stale in comparison, not because they are bad, but that rF2 is so good.
    8. I need to really concentrate to hit every apex on a lap, I need to focus to understand where and how I need progress.
    9. Racecraft, not brute force is required to not only win but be competitive.
    10. Setup philosophies are not consistent across all car types.

16. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

That is a great list :)

17. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

another good one Mat.

# 10. This does not translate in other sims the same way, not even close imo .

Like 1/2 psi difference in tyres is like night and day ;)

18. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Those 10 are pretty much my + points, emphasis to #1