Poll: Online Multiplayer Build 930 - Ready for Prime Time or Not?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Marc Collins, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

What's the status of online multi-player in 930? Is it plug-and-play yet? Any common, recurring problems? Or is it finally ready for prime time?

2. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Prime Time? You mean like proper marketing etc?

There are a few things I want to see sorted before this happens, if so.

Multiple passworded servers allowing mod download 100% of the time (Without setting CPU affinity)
    The new custom rules plugin (So many ideas for this)

A couple of issues my members report;
    Random crashes
    joining as a spectator even when spectator is OFF.

But I think rFactor 2 as a package is SO CLOSE to........well, I'm not sure what...... Where I want it to be I guess.

3. stonec

stonec Registered

It has been ready since a year or so when the grey join button bug was fixed. Big leagues have ran it successfully since season 2014, or at least with equal amount of success as rF1, even if there are some small bugs remaining.

4. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

We had major problems for our 12 hour race over the weekend on build 910. The join button wouldn't come up consistently. The join button queries http://<ipaddress>:<httpport>/SessionInfo/ and if it doesn't respond then the join button never shows up. We had drivers reporting that they couldn't get a join button so a queried our server in a web browser and sure enough the page was timing out. But after hitting refresh several times it would finally respond. So then I fired up the game and just clicked on and off the server several times and leaving the server highlighted for 10 secs each time, eventually the join button will appear. The real problem seems to be that the HTTP server hangs up from time to time. The problem is the HTTP server is sort of the key to being able to connect to the server.

We decided not to use build 930 because of the CPU usage bug. When drivers would experience CPU spikes their car would end up warping all over the track. We also had big lags when drivers would join the track. We also had drivers getting disconnected randomly. I would say 930 isn't ready for prime time. But we've had good luck with 910 in past races.... excluding our race over the weekend which was a little odd.

5. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

I guess, your`re pushing something to the back of you`re mind ;)
    I remember very good, that we must went back one build, because of the broken GetMod for passworded Serer. Wich is, by the way, with B930 not running very smooth, too. It`s a kind of lottery, wether you can join or not...No offense, just my experiences.

6. Emery

Emery Registered

Noel, Wasn't the VEC 12-hour composed of 40 drivers with another 40+ as spectators who swap with the original 40?

7. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

The field was supposed to be 48 but a few teams pulled out before the race. I think the actual count ended up being 45 or so. But a few teams missed the start because they couldn't get a join button so the final count ended up being 41. As for spectators, we don't allow spectating unless you are just a few laps away from a driver swap. So no, we don't have 80 clients on the server at all times. We typically have about 6 spectators average.

8. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I never had this issue before but now, in multiplayer, every time I quit or a server restarts I get a launcher/game crash. I have as clean installs as humanly possible. Until this I rarely had issues, maybe a couple of prior builds my only issue would be the game freezing on Ctrl+Alt+Del. From my own experience, no. From statements heard and read from others, no.

What is the intention with this topic? I don't understand.

9. jimortality

jimortality Registered

We ran 34 on an endurance Nordschleiffe the other week on build 930 for 2 hours without too many issues.

10. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

I'm still seeing a lot more join issues in b930 than rF1. Once you get the race underway things seem fine though.

I was in a race at Nurburgring with the URD mod on the weekend. One driver suddenly couldn't enter any session (warmup, quali or race... a random number of opponent cars would load then the loading would freeze) and one driver kept having his game crash. Everyone got in eventually but the start was delayed by 20 minutes.

11. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I only experienced minor issues during an extensive run through the weekend. One time I was forced to become a spectator but it sorted itself out after a couple of times entering the server.

The racing itself was flawless. Wheel to wheel racing, no glitches, online is as smooth as it has ever been for me. :)

12. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I ran an hour multi-class race yesterday and one driver got randomly booted and couldn't rejoin.

13. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

VSCR has had a couple races with this build. the server is up 24/7 for practice- we have had practice servers up for Meganes and the EGT mods, races with the Meganes. So far, no issues. We did have a grey button issue with the new test server, but it was a port issue on my end and I fixed it today.

Running 2 servers is a major PITA and causes lots of issues. The launcher gets confused even when I change the target for the Data Path. Another server issue is that if you use the Dedicated Server Prototype, you can quickly make up a RFMOD (yes!) but when the server launches, you can't change any of the settings and the options button doesn't work so you can't go back and set it up. So I used the prototype to make the RFMOD, the server launches, I kill it right away then use that RFMOD I just created and make up a server using the regular method.

930 is 100% for us on race day.

14. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone.

15. bwana

bwana Registered

Got an unexpected networking disconnection during a league race last night. Best thing l was able to rejoin.. Think l was the only one.. Does the drop with that message mean a game issue or at user end ?

16. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

Build 930 the dedicated server is OK / same as build 910.

Most multiplayer issues that i know of in build 930 are on the client side. (CPU?)
    And the virtual ride! Don't use them online...

And my advice: race online unplugged. :) (No pluggins)
    Especially when you are racing in a big endurance race with swaps, people rejoining etc...

17. nipzon

nipzon Registered

I am.... Well I give up. You practise, give it my all during quali and warmups, then comes the race and my CPU spikes and my race lags to hell.

I will try with the next build again. Mean time the compitition gets my attention and money.

18. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Not sure either. what's this 'prime time' about? ISI going to launch an all-conquering campaign? we got parts of the simracing community unaware of rf2? companies that need to be pulled in?
    Or are we still in beta mode as some suggest :p

19. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Just use shortcuts to the dedi exe and call the different profiles in the different shortcuts?

20. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

I guess, his major complain belongs to the Launcher/ModManager and how they manage different Packages Folder? If yes, yeah, it`s a PITA! Maybe Launcher Shortcuts + working directory could solve some problems? I wish, we get some day subfolder for Packages, too...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2015