Realroad still excellerated?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by peterchen, Feb 26, 2015.

1. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Hi guys, I know I come a little late with this, but:

In my opinion the RealRoad-build-up works still way too fast!
    I´ve actually came down to a factor of 0.6 for realroad.
    With this setting, the rubber build-up at a normal race weekend with 20 AI´s seems somewhat realistic.

Maybe I´m a little lost in here with what I came up with, as I know that most of you
    (and even at "hardcore" leagues you can observe this) love full rubbered tracks, up to full saturation where the entire track is
    a dark, blackish mass....

But I find this highly unrealistic.
    How many of you think that RR is still somewhat excellarated and should be dumbed further down?

Thanks and greets
    Pete

2. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Well if you have the ability to set it to less than 1, what is the worry?! Would a change in the representation of 1x please you?

3. stonec

stonec Registered

Each type of tire/car lays down rubber at different rate in rF2, I'm pretty sure. Makes it more the mod makers responsibility to set this correct. When I compare Formula ISI & 1x realroad to real F1 rubbering, it seems pretty realistic.

4. Miro

Miro Registered

Has anybody figured out how the percentage setting works? I have yet to try this out.

5. nipzon

nipzon Registered

I was trying to rubber up a track with no AI, and taking a different line to the ussual racing line. Strange that the track rubbers up to the racing line and not the line I was taking.

6. Valter Cardoso

Valter Cardoso Registered

Interesting. What track?

7. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Oh lord, not this again.

If you don't like realroad of 1 why not use less? Isn't that what it's there for?

8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

you sure you did'nt have Private Practice on? that means the AI are there but invisible so their line would show up quicker than yours, if not then it must be a faulty track....somehow.

9. c.pucher

c.pucher Registered

did you have AI=0 or private practice with AI>0?

with private practice AI>0 the AI still rubbers the track if I'm not mistaken

EDIT: MarcG beat me to it :D

10. nipzon

nipzon Registered

Probably true, think that was it. Thx for the reply.

Got nothing against realroad was only noticing that after hours of testing only the raceline rubbered up. Was hoping for a bit more realism.

11. Woodee

Woodee Registered

try going around the track yourself, OFF the racing line and watch a rubbered line appear. The AI aren't going to deviate much from the racing line are they.

12. MarcG

MarcG Registered

What's more real than rubber build up where you drive? As Woodee says the AI actually drive on the racing line, it'd be pretty unrealistic if they drove all over the place!

13. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I'm in the middle of a new PC build so can't test, but I wonder if anyone can test this with all sorts of very, very bad and far-from-the-standard-racing-line lines. I remember with very, very early builds it seemed to rubber in exactly where you drove. Then later it seemed to be slightly influenced by the "proper" racing line programmed into the track rather than relying 100% on the car, and the car only, to truly dynamically create the racing line - but maybe that was just all in my head, I can't say for sure. Can anyone do some pretty obvious tests?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2015
  14. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Not hard to test accelerate rubber maximum (15x ) and run a wide or tight line at Monza 10 laps and check it out from free cam positioned high above.

You can rubber gutters more if you drive on them , been doing at Malmedy chicane for 3 years.

15. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Good lord. Have none of you used the sim? It rubbers up where cars drive - every time. If you have AI, more of them than you, their line will rubber up quicker than your weird line. If you have private practice on and can't see them: THEY'RE STILL RUBBERING IT UP.

16. coops

coops Banned

look Tim still bashing his head against the wall. Poor guy must get so frustrated sometimes its not funny.

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I dunno, it's still a bit funny :p

This thread started poorly with "as I know that most of you (and even at "hardcore" leagues you can observe this) love full rubbered tracks" - how's that for a sweeping and audacious generalization?

The track rubbers up where cars drive, and the rate seems fine to me. Anyone trying to put numbers on it is talking out of their you-know-what as far as I'm concerned.

18. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

A. Is there a certain amount of rubber that can be on track at once? What I mean is, say you keep driving the same line and rubber it real good, then say you take a line 10 ft to the left or right of that line, as that new line starts to rubber-in, does the rubber layed down to the left/right slowly go away as if the game only has a certain amount of rubber and therefore has to take some current rubber away in order to rubber-in the new part?

B. Is there any connection, at all, between the rubbering-in and anything pre-defined in any track file?

C. Excuse my ignorance, but if the rubbering is truly dynamic, then why do some tracks (half-finished converted tracks for eg.) not have realroad working? If it's a dynamically done thing that happens wherever a car simply drives over - with nothing pre-programmed/pre-calculated (ie. truly dynamic) - then why does realroad have to be "implemented" into a track when it becomes created/converted rather than just always working automatically based on where a car simply drives with no "ifs", "ands", or "buts"?

If anything I said is incorrect, then please correct me, I'm just trying to have a better understanding of realroad.

19. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

A. No, that would make driving a very long track pretty tricky ...
    B. No, though I'm sure the TDF values have or will have some kind of impact.
    C. It is dynamic, but it expects a mesh to work with. Giving this mesh (or rather, the instance) the RaceSurface prefix and tagging it as Deformable will enable RealRoad on it; modders also need to assign a shader that takes the RealRoad output and gives it the proper visual interpretation.

20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Ahhh I got it. Thanks Luc. One more clarification on "A".

If I drive 100 laps on the inside of a turn while my friend - who is online with me - drives 100 laps on the outside of a turn, will that turn therefore generate 2 simultaneous rubbered-in racing lines with the same amounts of rubbering-in on each line (all things being equal, of course they won't be identical)?

Can each of those 2 separate and simultaneous racing lines theoretically have as much rubber layed down on them as one of those racing lines could if there never was a 2nd simultaneous racing line? So, if you and a friend were each to drive 10,000 laps on racing lines "1" and "2" respectively (2 separate lines never touching eachother), would both of those lines have the same amount of rubber as if you did the same test but with only 1 car, 1 line, and 10,000 laps?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2015