Rain Effect Progress

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Edu, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Edu

Edu Registered

Tim, there is nothing new about the rain effects??
    Thx.

2. Je suis Luis

Je suis Luis Banned

I'd like to know about it too when Isi will improve not only physics but graphics also.

3. SRosswick

SRosswick Registered

Yes, this would be nice. My graphical settings are maxed, yet I have to pause to see whether it's actually raining or not, otherwise I cannot see any raindrops. Of course after awhile the track gets wet and reflective but I have no idea when it actually starts to rain. Would nice to be able to see drops at speed, or rain splatter on the screen.

4. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

can't moan with all the great things going on with rf2 at mo

the subtle windscreen/visor drips would make a big difference for knowing when raining

think it was mentioned that this is an update to that actual content though as opose the rf2 core

5. stonec

stonec Registered

Better to first improve rain physics so we can actually drive cars in full wet, graphics are less important as long as many cars can't be driven properly in rain.

Regarding graphics improvements, see this.

6. Je suis Luis

Je suis Luis Banned

I think to properly deal with weather changes during a race, graphics are equal important. But i agree with you if you set the same amount of rain from the beginning to the end of a race.

7. Je suis Luis

Je suis Luis Banned

For immersion, yes. It would be great. But i need good visibility of the wet track and, even this sounds strange, the proper lack of visibility when dealing with heavy traffic.
    At the moment i can´t even see my own generated rooster trail on mirrors.

8. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Have a look in your player.json, I think there might be a setting there. Visibility isn't supposed to be great in wet weather guys ;) .

9. stonec

stonec Registered

This is how rain spray looked two years ago, this is how it looks now. If anything it should be increased.

10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

is the wetness of the tracks identical? if not then it's a meaningless comparison ;)

But having said that yes the Spray was toned down/improved a while back I remember the Cheers of Jubilation in this forum!

11. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Wet physics and graphics require serious improvements. I second the difficulty of realize when starts to rain. Sometimes I'm driving and WTF, car starts to slide then I notice that was raining for a while. GTR2 indicates rain through the drops in wind-shield very early than the track starts to get slippery. Very immersive and useful for racing strategy. You can advance your pit stop window, push the pace or take some measures in order to manage the rain that is coming.

But I'm quite sure the dev staff is taking care of it.

Second, the mystery of rain driving: in some tracks you can drive fine with rain tyres vs wet track, in others the same car and tyre combination is unable to ride at 20 km/h and the same track wetness. So, there's something to be fixed either in track parameters (official ISI or not) or in rain tyres physics.

12. Je suis Luis

Je suis Luis Banned

Thanks for the tip. Will look at json file. Isn´t supposed to be great if you have constant rain. I completely agree with you on this. But if weather changes during race you should be able to notice whats happening when rain starts and when stop. Maybe most important when it stops and you have to decide when change to slick again.

13. Je suis Luis

Je suis Luis Banned

Btw, anyone know if is it possible to make a json file reader with graphics?
    Don´t how to explain properly, but something that reads a json file with options, buttons and sliders to edit rf2 file. More user friendly

14. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

15. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I think I can remember seeing rain drops from static cams, although I think sometimes the rain drops can be obscured when driving. Maybe the AA settings blend them into the background? Not sure.

16. Woodee

Woodee Registered

This is what I currently use http://tomeko.net/software/JSONedit/ better than editing it by hand that is for sure!

17. Alejandro1

Alejandro1 Registered

Question:
    With reduced visible vehicles, is the non visible vehicles rain spray supposed to remain visible by design?

18. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I should hope so, because if they suddenly come into view it'd look rubbish if the Spray suddenly appeared from nowhere!

19. Alejandro1

Alejandro1 Registered

Wouldnt it be the same as the car themselves appearing - that is what the "visible vehicles" setting is for in the first place -?
    Wonder if some performance could be saved from turning off the spray in the invisible cars and then used to increase the effect intensity in the visible ones.

20. MarcG

MarcG Registered

yeah I see that it could be the same for the other way round, not sure how easy that would be to introduce though you'd have to ask the coder.

Plus when you start lowering settings for Visible Spray you run into the argument that racers will just lower all settings so they only have a couple of visible cars/spray and a clearer track than those with higher settings.
    In that case there should be a minumum limit on Visible Cars/Spray that the Server Admin can set, if people whinge about performance then they'd have to lower a different graphical setting....or upgrade!