Passworded Servers

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by hardtohandle, Feb 23, 2015.

1. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

I have a simple question. Is it possible to RELIABLY run a server that is passworded or not?

I am trying to run a league here. It's not so easy. Always some people get the 'Server connect fail' and every race is a farce with admins scratting around telling people to reboot their routers etc etc, it' just no good. So these guys miss the race and their championship prospects are significantly affected.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no solution, we just have to accept that 10% of the drivers will not make it into the server! That is not acceptable to me, so what choice have I got? If passwords simply do not work 100%, that's all I want to know.

Seems the only way, is to run NO password, then manually boot anybody who is not supposed to be there. If that is the only way, that is what I want to hear. I just want them guys to be able to get in the server.

2. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

For a couple of builds mate, we have had zero issues with the server being passworded, and taking into account a few extra people joining than we normally get.
    I found in the past and this includes my own install, if anyone has plugins running and switch from single player to multi player without rebooting rF2/PC, We had numerous problems, ctd and Server connect fail being 2 of them, It could be related and I would always suggest you ask your league guys to full reboot before committing to joining the server.

3. crz

crz Registered

I just reply with a quote which helped us to get rid of that issue:

4. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

Thanks CRZ i will try that.

5. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

We run a passworded server at VEC and we aren't experiencing this problem. Our server stays active with people practicing basically 24/7. I figure after a few years of running this way we would have encountered this problem. The only problem I have see others complaining about is running multiple dedicated servers on the same host. But I've not even been able to duplicate that problem. And I have tried VERY hard to duplicate it.

6. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Another way to set the affinity without having to mess around in taskman is the +promask option.

Code:
    [b]Core4 Core3 Core2 Core1[/b]
        0     0     0     1 +procmask=1
        0     0     1     0 +procmask=2
        0     1     0     0 +procmask=4
        1     0     0     0 +procmask=8

It's just a binary bit mask. Binary 0001 in decimal is 1.... 1000 is 8. If you have a 12 core CPU and want the server to run on the 12th core only then it would be binary 100000000000 which is 2048 in decimal. Say you want to run the server on core #12 and #8. 100010000000 which in decimal is 2176.

7. crz

crz Registered

Very nice, didn't know about that. Thank you Noel :)

8. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

Thats interesting Noel perhaps I wonder what your successful formula? I guess your server is not single core? Well if there is a reliable way to do this I will be very pleased.

For 2 years I have seen endless other people struggle with this persistent problem, all the time. Now its my turn and it's no fun.

9. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

No it isn't a single core. It could simply be that we are only running a single dedi on this server. It seems that is when people run into this problem.

Are you running multiple dedis? If so, how are they setup? I've done a bunch of testing with multiple dedi's running stand alone installs and using the +profile method and was unable to reproduce the problem. Most reports I have read are related to the vmod download. So that would give a different error then you are reporting. In my test I wrote a batch file that would delete the vmod from my packages folder, Installed\rFm folder and Manifests folder. So I would run the batch to clear the vmod and then join the server. Because it was a quick batch file to delete the vmod I was able to do this back to back like 50 times with the servers as stand alone installs and another 50 times using the +profile method. It didn't fail on either server a single time. I wasn't forcing the affinity either.

I would love to know more details on those that have the problem.

10. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

OK Thanks Noel I will do some work with this in coming days and keep you posted.

11. c.pucher

c.pucher Registered

some guys couldn't join a passworded server today because they reverted to the old ui. Changing again to the new ui fixed this (can't tell if for all yet, but some confirmation it worked). There was a similar issue once, see here: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/20657-Can-t-join-passworded-servers

Edit: in our case this did the trick for all drivers having problems joining

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2015