AMD FlipQueueSize_SET reg entry

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by speed1, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

Christ!
    Why does AMD not yet have a handle on this problem.
    Every time I'm about to re-evaluate their cards, another of these experiences pops up making me pause and think twice...."no thanks".
    They were great under ATI with the Radeon 9700 and 9800 Pro.
    Along came AMD followed by the HD series and the drivers turned to crap.
    Wide swings between minimum and maximum framerate, grey screens, failure to wake from sleep, etc... the list goes on and on.
    The HD4850 stuttered so badly for me with GTR-Evolution and GTR2, that I completely abandoned them at that point.
    I simply pulled that card and installed the Nvidia 8800GTX...(which had less memory and was rated slower)....problem solved.
    Every few weeks AMD promises a driver fix...which never amounts to anything.
    How can a company make such 'beautiful' hardware and then put out sh*t drivers with it....and not sort them out after so many years in business?
    It's infuriating.
    They really need to come to market with a solution (card with proper drivers) capable of giving Nvidia a run for the money.
    That will benefit everybody in the long run by keeping competition in the market place.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2015
  2. speed1

speed1 Banned

@MystaMagoo
    Looks similar my 290 which still isn't watercooled, altough it would be easy to integrate it into the CPU H2O cycle, but with a headset on my head i don't hear the atomic air cooler. :)

Marc i also read that the new driver release with freesync support is planned for the 19.03. , but to be honest i loose hope that something dramatical will change, and am also of the opinion that there is a lot of strategy behind all the release dates, as i also believe there is no real intention to increase the performance of the current gen further. They let them slowly die, to drive you to tha next level, otherwise many people wouldn't change the hardware for longer than the manufacturer like to see.

The whole world is a fake and we the puppets. Me personally got out of this trick play game with my last update years ago, and am not intended to jump again on the fake train until it becomes really necessary.

3. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Did you guys with stutters shutdown CCC.exe and MOM.EXE? Do that, always.

Also, try running a framerate limiter from your RF2 player.json file. Match it to your screen's refresh rate, and make sure to have RF2's framerate match that number as well

Finally, manually increase your GPU fan's speed (or, hell, all of your fans) to 100%.

P.S. Sorry I didn't get back to you guys regarding the last part of my previous post, I'll post that info later today.

4. xAcid9

xAcid9 Registered

They are going to rebrand the 290s for next gen so that mean longer support?

5. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

How does the CCC fan control work if you halt CCC? I will experiment with shutting these off later, but under no circumstances of normality should this be necessary.

6. xAcid9

xAcid9 Registered

The setting will stick even after you kill CCC.

Anyway you can install MSI Afterburner and set your own fan curve profile according to the temp, better control in my opinion.

7. speed1

speed1 Banned

That as well is a sort of melking people by rebranding with some surprises on the board selled as something everybody must have. See Mantle and the SDK which should be available a long time ago which will never become available. If that isn't a kind of fraud people by false info than i don't know what is. Maybe some devs invested into the hardware just because of that and now they even don't have access into the code. Just a little example of how trick play works.

I myself only trust myself. ;)

Howsoever i wouldn't turn this thread into against AMD thread and not only because it goes nearly for everything on the planet where money is involved but because i always liked there hardware, i just don't trust blind anymore.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2015
  8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I'm not sure how it works, but it still works. Up until 9 or 10 months ago, I was with AMD/ATI for many years - all the way back to between the early and mid 2000s.

- ATI X850XT PE
    - HD 3870x2
    - 6970s (crossfire)
    - 6950s (trifire)

I know a thing or two about ATI/AMD settings and such.

Sure, maybe you're right that it shouldn't be necessary in a perfect world. All I know is that it has resolved slowdowns (well, mostly stutters and/or microstutters) for people for, I don't know, 10 years now? In-fact, it used to be almost vital to do this. With constantly improved drivers it may be a thing of the past but feel free to search online about it, you'll see countless amounts of people over the past 10, or so, years praising the shutting down of those two processes and how it cured issues.

I'm just giving you the info and trying to help, in a perfect world none of us would have stutters :)

9. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Then we have another app/process running in the background, no? The CCC settings are fairly sophisticated, so what exactly does Afterburner do more or better?

We need an encyclopaedia to know which combination of settings and apps actually works best. CCC. Afterburner. MSI Gaming App. Overclock or not. Use CCC versus in-sim graphics controls, or some combination (unfortunately now required for 930 if you want AF). Monitor controls and sync issues. And to make rF2 even more special, JSON settings.

I am looking forward to trying the CCC and MOM stoppage. Will report back whether it helps or cures.

10. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Nope, killing CCC and MOM processes has no effect on the stuttering that I am getting (which as I said, only seem to accompany large swings in FPS).

So next question. What sync settings are best versus locking frame rate in JSON, etc.? What permutation out of the hundreds is least likely to result in stuttering, but also not cause any other sync-related problems? Traditionally (with NVIDIA) I always got best performance with no sync nor limiters of any kind--just let it all flow. I am open to the concept that AMD could be different, though it seems to work quite well minus this one small stuttering issue with those same settings.

11. speed1

speed1 Banned

It's not all due to AMD mate it's as well the inability of the devs to use the great AMD tec right, or just again a money trick play. Sorry guys but i can't believe that nearly everything performs incredible well but just rf2 don't.

Keep your head up and do something for us and AMD.

12. xAcid9

xAcid9 Registered

I disabled Vsync and frame limiter.

The stuttering issue could probably not GPU related at all.
    Download LatencyMon here. Click the Start button and then play rF2 for a few laps with AIs, go back to LatencyMon and press Stop.

13. Shamrock

Shamrock Registered

14. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Marc, have you tried setting the framerate limiter in your rf2 player file? That may help.

Set it to whatever monitor refresh-rate rF2 has been set to. Then also make sure your framerate's pegged at it.

15. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Wow, what a cool utility!

It shows that I have an awesome system in all ways EXCEPT hard page faults. BIOS is up to date. Unfortunately, the monitoring window shows the number of page faults by process, but not by which ones are the "big" ones that cause the bar to move over to the right.

I did discover one useful fact--a process that was running constantly and needlessly was MSI Live Update. So my video card manufacturer supplies a utility that contributes to slowing the card down!!! It also has no traditional control to allow "start when Windows starts." It appears the only way to get rid of it is to uninstall.

Any ideas what could cause longer than usual page faults?

16. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I wish I know what page faults even were. I hears about them many, many years ago but still have no idea. Wish I could help...

Did you try what I suggested in my previous post?

17. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Page_fault

@Marc
    run command prompt as administrator
    type msconfig
    click on startup tab
    untick stuff like the msi....
    (If they reappear then removing them from the registry is needed,just ask if that happens)

Most of the startup items are not needed at all and could indeed be your problem.
    They sit in the background monitoring all the time

18. speed1

speed1 Banned

Thanks for all the tips guys. Looks like as if i may could further optimize the sys while it already performs quite well. I'll try all the tips out once i have the passion to start the machine, and come back hopefully with another positive experience. ;)

19. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Or maybe the inability of the user and his pc... ;)

20. speed1

speed1 Banned

Quite possible yes, included myself of course, but a bit odd it still is when there is something special the little issues only exist with. ;)