Build 930 CPU bar maxed out

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Sido Weijer, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Sido Weijer

Sido Weijer Registered

The CPU bar (the purple bar in game when using CTRL+C) maxed out for me tonight on an online race with 25-30 URD ETG's on Sebring. This caused weird FFB and a slight slowmotion. The race I did before that, 9 Eve F3's on Brno, went fine. I tried lowering all graphic settings but that didn't help.

I race the URD cars weekly in big fields like this, this is this is the first time on build 930 and the first time the CPU bar maxes out.

There was someone in the Eve F3 race of tonight who had the same problem, so I think it's build related. Is it just a bug or is this build more demanding on the CPU's, which may be too much for mine/ours?

2. Joe Campana

Joe Campana Registered

Yeah, I saw this same problem on some older machine with big fields. We are looking into it, doesn't appear to be gfx related.

3. Sido Weijer

Sido Weijer Registered

Thanks for the response and for looking into it, hope you'll be able to sort it soon.

4. nipzon

nipzon Registered

Had the same problem Monday night racing TCR's at Donington Park. Race started off good but a couple laps into it sudden fps drop 60 down to low 40's 30's creating this slow motion effect. Also only with online races.

With the Crtl C my green bar maxes out.

5. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

Thanks Joe. Me TVR_GUY and argo0, McFlex and above are all having this that I know of. Maybe not nipzon tho - we all have the pink CPU bar maxing out.

I have league races to do, only thing left to try is 32 bit, I use 64 bit normally. If somebody knows that this problem also affects 32 bit that would be good to know as it would save me the trouble of testing the 32 bit, cheers.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2015
  6. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Do you know if it's related to AI-grids only ?

- Ohh, OP says it was online - so guess not :( Actually we were about 20 guys practicing last night using URD cars and a few prototypes, didn't seem to be an issue, but can't speak for everyone.

7. Terence Groening

Terence Groening Registered

Well, I'd probably try to compare them if I were you (offline with a bunch of AIs if necessary). There are potential speed-ups in 64-bit, but I haven't seen any. But there's also a potential for slow-downs, since 64-bits tends to use more memory. If that's the bottleneck on an older machine, then it's possible that 32-bit could be a little faster. My guess is you won't see much difference.

In any case, I'm going to look into this a bit. We know that the tire code is using a bit more time now for more fidelity and more features. BTW, what kind of CPUs are having the trouble?

8. McFlex

McFlex Registered

Intel Quad Core Q9400

I had this problem in multiplayer and singleplayer but with only 2 Cars on the server or me alone in sp. In build 910 i didn't have this problem but it already occured in older builds like 798, 860 and 880.

9. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

I noticed a high and not acceptable CPU Impact of more than 150%! My CPU usage is around 60%-70%, wich was with Build910 around 20%. ISI, please fix this asap!

10. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

11. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I tested with 3 AI and my own car under AI control and CPU ranged from %9 to %45. Normally this machine sits at about %30 max. I also turned off AI and let the car roll (I only have keyboard controls hare) so the full physics would kick in but didn't see a noticeable spike. For the most part it says around %9 with random spikes to 30 - 45. It's a little strange. Typically the CPU usage in rF2 is very consistent.

BTW, I am not looking at total CPU usage, I am only looking at rFactor2.exe.

This is on an i5-4430 at stock clock of 3.0ghz.

12. McFlex

McFlex Registered

Under AI control my CPU usage is only around 5% but is goes up to 70%-100% when i drive alone in SP.

I look at the "STRG+C" usage :D

13. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

As i do, too...

14. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Further investigation:

- it doesn`matter the amount of AI`s (tested with 20 and 5)
    - it doesn`t matter HDR on or off
    - it doesn`t matter wich car (tested with Megane and Nissan 370Z)

Track:LRP

allways high CPU usage around 60%-70%

Singleplayer, self driven

15. nipzon

nipzon Registered

I know you guys are looking at processor usage in windows as well as ctrl+C and everyone is reporting that the purple line maxes out. What does it mean when the green line maxes out. I was online last night TCR Mod no AI and the green line fulle maxed.

AMD FX8350 Black Edition OC to 4.7GHz, 32GDDR, GTX780Ti

16. TVR_Guy

TVR_Guy Registered

I'm running an Intel Core2 Quad @ 2.67 GHz. Ran Build 910 with CPU bar at 60% and histogram all at the low end. With 930 CPU bar is at maximum with histogram spikes at the top end and they are substantial spikes that brings the sim to a crawl.

17. Terence Groening

Terence Groening Registered

It's fine if the green line is maxed out. It usually is, unless you're using a Max Framerate cap, or some vsync setting.

For everybody else, please try running with the command line "+procmask=3" and see if that helps. (For you technical geeks: What this does is limit rF2 to use only the first two cores/processors, which signals rF2 to *not* try to multithread some physics tasks. This is a new feature intended to *help* with large fields, but maybe it is actually *hurting* some older quad cores?)

18. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Just to remind, i`m not on an older quad core...

19. argo0

argo0 Registered

Is that advice just for older quad cores?

Mines an older dual core. Has run rf2 very well the whole time with the exception of the odd build (usually for a reason such as this). Now seeing increased usage and spikes. Delighted with the way it runs usually.

20. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Terence here's my findings, testbed Clios @ Indy 2007, Specs on left I have Sync set to VIDEO:

This is my Green Bar when the Stutters occured:

4-cores.jpg

The little 'Nobbly' bits do go across the top of the Green Bar (I wasn't quick enough with the screenshot key!) when Stutters are happening, according to Task Manager my rFactor2.exe never exceeds 50% and also my CPU Widget confirms this.

Upon entering "+procmask=3" I get no Stutters at all, the Green Bar is smooth (bar the spike that's always there) and again CPU usage not going above 50% whilst my CPU Widget confirms only 2 cores are being used (so I kknow that's working)

Hope that helps, if you want further info/testing just shout, thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2015