rFactor 2 Build 930 Now Available

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Feb 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lgel

Lgel Registered

I am sorry to disagree with you, they know for sure why you have empty menus if your windows fonts are not at 100 %, and why the antialiasing settings are not working.

You could avoid a potencial customer a problem, and guide him toward a solution, you choose not to.

Cpu spiking is a real concern but strikes apparently a minority of users, a warning would do no harm.

Empty menus affects 100 % of users not having windows fonts at 100 %, and the antialiasing settings all users.

The actual situation five weeks later is a disgrace for all involved, trust is very difficult to build, and very easy to loose.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2015
  2. Lgel

Lgel Registered

I am really sorry to fully agree with you, even if you and I, will receive a lot of flak from fanboys you are right.

3. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

That's ok man :)

4. canastos

canastos Registered

And that's the attitude :D

byyyyyyyye

5. Damian Baldi

Damian Baldi Registered

Could it be server related too? If you join the ISI Linux hosting Monza it works well most of the time, but if you join another server it's almost impossible because the stuttering. Same track, different performance.

6. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Nothing wrong in agreeing... Voicing issues is the way forward, right?
    I love ISI to bits for what they've provided me with since F1 2000. But I'd be a FEWL to ignore this elephant in that corner :) I mean I can live with half-baked features... But slow-downs during racing is a game-killer.

7. stonec

stonec Registered

Lol. The demo is there exactly for testing the game before you buy it. If there was no demo (as for 95% of games today) it would be a different story. The ingame AA works perfectly as intended. Some older ISI tracks use sharpening of textures (there is player file setting to reduce this), which makes some white lines a bit edgy. This is fixed on newer tracks (Silverstone 1.35), it was not something related to AA anyhow but to track design.

I had reports of issues from old non-i5/i7 Quad core users last autumn as well (build 860 I think), CPU usage went to 100% with many AI. So it's not first time older CPU's has issues, and probably not last.

8. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

40-50 racers online on every race in VEC. NP - apart from 930.

9. stonec

stonec Registered

VEC updates to new rF2 build about once a year I believe. Screenshot from Intel Q6600 user taken from FSR league Suzuka race 4.10.2014 (build 860), showing this maxed CPU bar issue.

10. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Mostly because ISI chunks out buggy builds.

11. Chefmark

Chefmark Registered

I hope this is not a stupid question but could the CPU spiking cause the CPU to suddenly shut down or cause the CPU to overheat? It's a new Intel 4790k, not overclocking too

12. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

If a CPU is overheating, the system conducting a shutdown automaticly. In some circumstances, e.g. you`re using a stock cpu fan, a permanent spiking could evoke an overheating.

13. Panigale

Panigale Banned

4770K and 4790K I believe will begin an aggressive thermal throttle at 90C. That will slow things down so your chip has an opportunity to cool down. Any load on your CPU will cause it to warm up but with decent water cooling and a mid range OC it should peak under load testing between 50-60C.

If your PC is suddenly shutting down under load that sounds like your PSU doesn't have enough juice or it is faulty. Under load the GPU and CPU will draw more power from your PSU, if it isn't up to it, the PSU may shut down. It may sit there and idle all day fine, watching movies, etc. but in that state your PC is hardly using any power or stressing components.

14. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Your computer will automatically shut down immediately when your CPU hits a certain temp. I know this from not connecting a cpu heatsink properly. :p

15. Panigale

Panigale Banned

Jamie while true I assume you aren't using a Haswell? The Haswell line has voltage regulation on the CPU die. The plus side is this allows it to sip power when not under load (watching a movie, watching youtube) but it turns into a power eating chip when in use.
    Haswells can get pretty hot when OC'd however this example isn't OC'd. They also aggressively thermal throttle (much more so than previous Intel chips) so to get it to the point of shutdown would require some effort. It is still possible but less likely than previous gens.
    Usage spikes will also create spikes in power consumption (true for CPUs and GPUs) but temps will remain more constant assuming those usage levels don't persist.

16. coops

coops Banned

time for a new build i think.

17. Gintonika

Gintonika Registered

System Specs

CPU: i3-3240 @ 3.40GHZ
    Ram: 16GB
    Video: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 760

Up to build 910 I was able to run everything smoothly in 1920x1080, settings med to high, HDR on, with many AI (30 or 40) without issue, or online with the same number of cars.
    After 930, it is stutter-land, running alone, offline, everything is unsmooth, stuttered, and things get worse if I add AI or if I go online with more cars.

I think that lowering settings is not acceptable, I just want my rf2 as I have acquired it and been racing it up to 910.
    Also for us southamerican people is a crazy load of bucks of investment to get a new PC, is not like I could go out and get an i7 just like that.

At the moment I simply can't start the game anymore, it's frustrating.

18. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

It's the AF setting that is not working, not the AA settings.

If you force AF through your driver you will see that the "edgy" lines are back to normal.

19. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

We update when the build handles endurance racing properly. That means working driver swaps, server rejoins (which is what kept us on 798 for so long), doesn't have a bug causing CPU spikes randomly (which is why we are on 910) and doesn't have any night lighting problems. These requirements have been meet more than once a year though.

All these personal attacks about the CPU bug are ridiculous. It's been acknowledged by ISI. No need to personally attack people for not being superior enough to have the most current CPU. If ISI added new features which put too much load on the CPU then it may be reasonable to up the reqs. But this is simply a bug (as acknowledged but the lead developer). It would be nice to have a fix by now, I know we (VEC) would love to take advantage of the new lighting but we can't until this CPU bug is fixed. We have large fields and the odds are high that one out of 50 is going to experience this bug. From our testing with 930 we realized it wasn't worth the risk. When one of our guys hit this bug it caused bad warping which resulted in cars colliding and spin in g off the track. This isn't something you want in a 12 hour race.

The bottom line, it's a bug. A bad one.

20. msportdan

msportdan Banned

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.