Would you pay for the laser scanned Nordschleife from rFPro for rF2?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Robert Gödicke, Feb 12, 2015.

?

Would you pay for this laser scanned Nordschleife?

1. No, I wouldn't pay for that content.

83 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. Yes, up to 15$.

73 vote(s)
    32.0%
  3. Yes, more than 15$.

72 vote(s)
    31.6%
  1. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Maybe a better question would be: Would you pay for a ISI rF2 track you really like? And how much?

For some tracks I'd pay for DLC in an eye blink.

2. marvelharvey

marvelharvey Registered

Even if it was free content, I doubt I'd drive the circuit more than a couple of times. Like Monza and Silverstone, the Nordschleife has simply been in too many racing games to interest me any more. But two or three relatively unknown circuits with multiple layouts? I'd gladly hand over money.

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Every time you create content your work will potentially be ignored (people don't like it), competed with (other people creating the 'same' content) or superseded (someone creating what is, in some or all respects, obviously superior) - making your work effectively a waste of time, except for the feeling of personal accomplishment (which may be reduced by any of the mentioned factors... depends how you approached it really).

Anyone can create any content, and one person/group creating a track or car doesn't mean anyone else can't produce the same one themselves. No one can claim any sort of ownership regardless of how hard they're willing to work.

So, if having someone else come out with a better version, or indeed just their own version, is going to upset you, you maybe shouldn't create it in the first place. Does this mean people will stop creating content? Well it hasn't yet.. I think most modders understand it could happen, and accept it when it does.

If the 'other' person/group is also asking, or requiring, money to produce their work... if anything that will help keep people using yours.

I don't see any reason to seek permission from or otherwise placate people already working on something. Having said that, what are the realistic chances of this happening? Not too high at this stage, surely.

4. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Well this is something we too have to think about. We have licensing for tracks modders have released versions of. EVENTUALLY we'd probably look at doing our own scratch built versions of those. It that any disrespect to the modders? I'd hope it wouldn't be taken that way. It *is* why they haven't already been done by ISI though, because there's a decent version out there. So we've done other things and will go back to it probably when rF2 core dev is starting to wind down (but content dev will probably continue).

5. Je suis Luis

Je suis Luis Banned

I understand what are saying Lazza. I will repeat: i think i choose wrong word. Disrespectful seems too strong.

But looking for the number of people modding to rf2 (not even close to rf1 but mostly high quality artists) doesn't seem a smart move splitting resources (not sure if you will understand what im trying to say in this sentence because my poor english).

Not pointing fingers, but, in this poll, the number of people intend to pay 15 bucks or more, how many of them download and donate to pleclair, djc or tosch's work?

I remember an anonymous donate hardware to pleclair, but the marjority i think(me included) never supported these guys and, even not being close to perfection, no one can say rf2 nords is a poor convertion.

I maybe getting into business thats doesn't concern to me or maybe speaking in the name of others who even could disagree of what i'm talking. Not my intention and sorry if im doing that. It is just my opinion and a good excuse to practice my english haha.

6. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Indeed. And there's a sim already with that model. They do good for themselves, and that's great, but if we limited the community AGAIN by taking away an affordable solution? You wouldn't have many options left.

IMHO the more - DIFFERENT - options the sim racing community has, the better.

7. Je suis Luis

Je suis Luis Banned

I think Tim get what i was trying to say.

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

For what it's worth, I wouldn't pay for a more accurate version and have enjoyed the various versions of this and other real tracks that have been released. Personally close enough is good enough, though I accept that sometimes better knowledge of the real track - and therefore the errors - can change the balance (for me it's Bathurst, which hasn't yet had a very accurate version in rF, but like most aussies I've watched thousands of laps there so see things others may not).

I understand community resources are limited, so it's not normally a good thing when more than one group is working on the same content, and I think it's great that ISI shape the direction of their own content with that in mind. But whether 20000 or 2 people use your content makes no real difference to you (unless you're asking money for it, but then acceptable standards and competition should be expected), so you can't go into it expecting to forever have the only version of it and be constantly praised for providing it. I think it's better to look at it as providing something for the community's use, so if/when something better comes along you can be happy that there is something better available - for your own use as well.

Of course to some extent you've then wasted time, but if you don't get some enjoyment from the process itself, and the lessons you learn along the way, you probably wouldn't do it in the first place.

I can see I keep approaching this from the modder's side, which is curious when I've released no content :p

9. Je suis Luis

Je suis Luis Banned

High five bro o/
    I know this feeling lol

10. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Awesome, hopefully that is ISI's approach going into the future. *cough, dirt oval, cough* :)

11. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Yes, Yes I would pay for a laser scanned version of it.

Having said that I'm glad that ISI are anti-DLC, I like that. But if there came a day they say "Guys, you can have <Insert awesome circuit here>, But we will have to charge $10"..... I would pay just to support them in their endeavors. Exactly the same reason why I bought lifetime. I saw it as my way to support ISI going forward.

12. freew67

freew67 Registered

I have a question, if a track says its laser scanned why do you think its automatically that accurate?

13. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

I don`t know, if this was discussed in the previous 5 Pages, but do you (Tim/ISI) know, that Nuerburgring GmbH did a full Laserscan last year and offer this Data to Game Studios?

14. MarcG

MarcG Registered

A common misconception!

15. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Yes. :)

16. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Is it a secret how much they charge for it? The data, that is? Do you guys know? I'm not saying you guys should purchase the data, Just a genuine curiosity how much such a data set would cost.

17. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

I know those numbers but not sure I'm allowed to post here, sorry.

18. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

No problem mate, I understand. I hear Le Mans is even more expensive just to licence, let alone a point cloud of it.

19. traind

traind Registered

I can't say I understand your opinion of the Nordschliefe but certainly life would be boring if we all saw things the same way :) Still, I feel compelled to pass this along... the current RF2 mod version may be the best quality mod track ever made. I am not saying it is the most accurate...but the love put into it shows up in so many small details-- it really is worth the 500mb on your hard drive. I am still new to RF2 but I would suggest taking a historic F2 around the track a few times and see if it doesn't kindle some passion for the track and disbelief at what the drivers did there in the 60s.

20. Je suis Luis

Je suis Luis Banned

I would suggest the Lada.