Would you pay for the laser scanned Nordschleife from rFPro for rF2?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Robert Gödicke, Feb 12, 2015.

?

Would you pay for this laser scanned Nordschleife?

1. No, I wouldn't pay for that content.

83 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. Yes, up to 15$.

73 vote(s)
    32.0%
  3. Yes, more than 15$.

72 vote(s)
    31.6%
  1. Robert Gödicke

Robert Gödicke Registered

Even though I have absolutely no detailed information about rFactor Pro, I think that for ISI themselves it would be possible to make rFactor Pro's laser scanned Nordschleife compatible with rFactor 2. So just out of pure interest: Would you pay for this track if ISI could find a (maybe expensive one for them) way to make it available for rFactor 2?

Even though I don't think it will happen (aquiring the data from rFactor Pro, editing/working on the track to meet rFactor 2's requirements, licensing etc), I am just curious.
    On the other hand, ISI collaborated with Reiza to bring us Interlagos as well...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2015
  2. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Being cynical but hardly realistic: When AC Nords Lidar version be available it won't take 24 hours to be converted for all modable sims in planet.

3. Robert Gödicke

And I would be one of the people who would not use it in any other sim but AC since I respect developers. I will buy Kunos' Dream Pack anyway because of that track alone, even though I am not satisfied with the sim itself. That being said, I would pay gladly for a proper version of the Nordschleife - like this one right here - if it was available for my favourite consumer grade sim on the market. ;)

4. jpalesi

jpalesi Registered

[​IMG]

This thread will be fun :)

5. boblevieux

boblevieux Registered

I'm not really interested, since i have no intent to drive it IRL.

6. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I would gladly pay for it, no doubt.

However I don't think there's even a remote chance of the rF Pro stuff ever becoming available for us mere mortals in any way shape or form. Sadly.

7. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Yeah but your behaviour is far from the average. The majority simmers will happily download the ripped version. It will be funny to see those people thinking they're running on the actual Nords surface when it's very probable the ripper will convert the visual tarmac surface from AC instead of the invisible 3D-XYZ Lidar grid lol

I'm not downloading the ripped version or buy the "Dream DLC" from Kunos stead, no point on race some perfect 3D track without basic race stuff (half-cooked title)

8. TechAde

TechAde Registered

Not going to happen for the simple reason that the laser scanned Nordschleife has nothing to do with ISI. It was produced by rFpro for rFpro customers only.

9. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

I'm not a cork sniffer, I can enjoy tracks that aren't laser scanned.

On the topic of Nords. I can't stand the track. I wouldn't pay 50 cents for it. It's not on my machine now nor will it ever be.

Edit: This would be easy to figure out for ISI. They can look at their sales, divide by probably half to see how many sales of the track they would get to see if they could make a profit. Don't forget, for the ISI track team to do this track to lets say iracing specs would take a LONG, LONG time and the rest of us wouldn't see another ISI track during this time. Not worth it IMO.

10. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

JC that looks sick

11. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

+1, over-hyped 100%.

12. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

I would rather ISI spent the 1000s of man hours needed to produce a Nords used to produce 3 or 4 high quality tracks from around the globe :)

13. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Does ISI actually have the rights to this data? I thought rFPro is a completely different company. AFAIK, I don't think ISI has anything to do with this version of this track.

14. Robert Gödicke

They don't. But I am sure they have good connections to them just like to Reiza Studios (remember, we have an Interlagos track in rFactor 2 now which was made by the latter).

15. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I feel the same, it may well be an iconic track but like buggery am I going to spend ages learning all 150odd corners. No from me.

16. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

While I get quite a bit of satisfaction at doing a very good lap there in simracing, it's not really a practical track for close 'everyday' running.
    Sure! you do have the occasional epic battle...but nine times out of ten, one makes a mistake and the sheer length means one driver is out-of-sight by the time the other recovers.
    As to laser-scanned content...unless you actually plan to run on that surface (where you can 'feel' out undulations and use them to your advantage), it's pointless.

17. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I wouldn't say it's pointless. Having bumps on a track does help it feel nice. We got a lot of complaints that our Lime Rock felt flat, and although the real track is, some people still claimed the iRacing one was better, even though that track didn't exist anymore (they repaved in 2008 and it *is* flat). Obviously they simply preferred a more 'lively' surface like the 2006 scan data iRacing had. Whether scan data is needed for that feeling? No. You could fake bumps... But that's not something we'd do.

18. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

Okay! pointless was not a good choice of word....but you get what I'm saying.
    They,re lots of good tracks with lively road-feel surfaces.
    You don't really need a laser-scanned surface to get good feedback, any more than you need exact angles of every single curb.
    Would I be mad if they built it? Heck no.
    I just don't see it as necessary to laser-scan for excitement...especially for guys who'll never actually race there.
    Can you get the car around it without wrecking it or somebody else and in a reasonable amount of time?
    That's what I ask myself.

19. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Yes, and the data used to build was licensed for a specific product. We literally cannot legally use the data for a retail sim, regardless.

I did price out the data, got a contact, etc, but it's not something we could do for free, and we're anti-DLC for $. There's absolutely nothing to stop someone else from doing it via crowdsourcing or whatever though... But if it took Pro 4 years of man hours. You better be ready for it...

20. Robert Gödicke

I hear ya Saabjock. It's pointless to have very high track accuracy when the actual driving physics are not good, plus you can have heaps of fun on fictional tracks and not so accurate tracks as long as the driving experience feels natural and great. I do agree with both of these statements myself. But, if I can have a very, very accurate version of a real life track in a great sim, hell yeah, bring it on! Living - relatively - close to the real Nürburgring, this would be really nice. I don't think it's 100% unimportant to have such accurate tracks to be honest. After all a big portion of simracers are trying to get the most accurate virtual depiction of the stuff they love in real life for example, having visited some of the series dozens of times or even driven on some of the tracks themselves.

Plus, because someone was concerned this would occupy the track devs for as long as the same time frame in which they could release 3-4 other tracks: The track in this example wouldn't take the track devs a lot longer than a scratch built one, since they would already have most of the stuff in a finished state like the modelling, texturing etc. They would only need to bring it to rF2's standards, update/redesign a couple of things, but most of the stuff would already be there, this includes the time it would take to research for a lot of braking points and visual clues next to the track. I can't imagine this to take longer than a few months to be honest for the experienced ISI track team. Look how fast we got Interlagos after it was initially announced they would bring it to us. :)

Do you know how big their staff is when it comes to track development Tim?

May I ask why you are strictly against it? Is it because of the possibility of piracy of DLC content without a DRM system? Because of a potential splitting of the customer base? Or is the answer to that question not for the public? Just curious since I bet there are tons of people willing to pay for such costly goodies if they would be offered to them. :)