Excessive tire wear

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chosa, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Chosa

Chosa Registered

Hi,

I noticed that the tires wear out too quickly, as you start to force the pace, with almost all the mods

Perhaps it can be realistic with modern F1, where it is essential to be able to go fast without damaging the tires and aggressive driving is not rewarded.

But on the historic car, and low-cost mono brand championshio car (like clio or megane), the tires should be more durable for lower costs (in the '60s some teams used the same set of tires for more races)
    and aggressive driving should be less penalized.

This does not happen with RF2, where driving on tires and forcing the limit is punished with excessive consumption, with all cars. We are forced to run any class with an endurance attitude and it is quite frustrating.

Is it possible to fix it in the future? (I remember the first year of life of RF2, the historic cars at least did not suffer from this problem)

Thank You

2. Lgel

Lgel Registered

Since car racing exists, drivers have had to manage their tires (in different ways).
    Ask any real world driver, or read books.

Cheers.

3. Comante

Comante Registered

In RF2 you can't lap in race as you would during qualifications, even if you won't make errors, even if the tires won't wear out, what will kill your performance is overheating. Overheated tires grip less, slide more, thus wear fast. you can't really ask a simulator to not try to simulate things as best as it can, otherwise what simulator it can be? Tire temperature is part of the equation, you have to live with it.

4. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I find the tire wear to be more than manageable actually.
    And no, that's not because I'm not driving fast. ;)

Of course the tire model isn't finished yet, so things are bound to get even better.
    But as it is now, it's more than enjoyable and a very nice challenge.

The tires also respond very nicely to changes in driving style throughout a race.
    I always found this to be one of the most amazing aspects about rF2.

When I started out using rF2 I was killing the tires too, every race.
    I came to find that it was because I kinda "misunderstood" what the ffb was telling me.
    I was simply too rough with the steering, and I demanded way to much from the tires at all the wrong places.
    A 20 min. online race at Silverstone in the C6R? I had around 35 percent left on the front left tire at the end.

After evaluating and improving my driving style, I can win by a comfortable margin and still have 80-85 percent FL tire at the end.
    That is, after pushing all through the race due to having a human competitor breathing down my neck.

So driving style is key, setup work too.
    I have never found the historics' tires to be a problem. I find them extremely durable.
    With the proper footwork and correct steering input, a set of those tires can last for hours on end.

5. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

A simple tip for those struggling is turn the tyre noise effect up to 200% and other effects down, when you hear the tyres scrubbing all the time your pushing too hard and or have too much steering input.. wind it out or slow down 1/10th .. and watch your durability fly.. Oversteering is a major issue.. yes you can pull a few tenths out of a lap.. but you wont last more than 3-4 laps..

6. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Yeah, good tip. I have my tire sounds turned way up in all the sims I use, and it's a great help.

7. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

Nothing to be fixed. If you drive properly, i.e. not rFactor 1/Codemasters F1 style, and conserve tires a bit, then you shouldn't have any problems.

8. I3bullets

I3bullets Registered

I read somewhere that there are different kinds of tyre noise, i.e. some show that you are nearing the grip limit, others indicate that you're past it. So how do I differentiate between those? How do I know which sound is of the good type and which is evil? :)

9. Comante

Comante Registered

Uhm the sound you hear while spinning is bad. :)

10. Chosa

Chosa Registered

I should try...but I think that about low budget car and the historic, the tire wear is not realistic and however exaggerated.

11. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I don't find it to be exaggerated at all. It just takes proper driving techniques to make them last, just like in real life.
    Have you left the tire wear scaler at x1?

12. Chosa

Chosa Registered

Yes, 1x...
    Ok, proper driving techniques make them last, this is a good thing.
    But however I think that on historic & other veichle the tires should last a bit more...
    (again: in the 60's minor team use the same tires more than a race!)

13. stonec

stonec Registered

That's because rF2 didn't have tire wear implemented at all until a year after beta. The excessive wear from my experience almost always comes from overheating your tires (the heat-related wear called thermal degradation is something new introduced in rF2), locking brakes a few times can make tires lose 10% quickly. I can't comment if it's at optimum realistic level, but drivers in my league that couldn't make Formula ISI tires last 5 laps eventually managed to do 15-20 laps, simply by less excessive steering inputs and monitoring tire temperatures.

14. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

As could you with an rF2 tire. I'll assume you keep locking the inside wheel or slow rolling it under braking? Stop doing that. :)

15. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

And stop over-cooking it on corner exits certainly also helps. :)

16. Hectari

Hectari Registered

Is this something we'll be able to do in the future in rF2? What I mean is will we see tyre rules and save states for online/oflline to reproduce the restrictions of the real series? It'll be amazing when we can start a race on the same tyres we qualified on, or have to go back to a set of tyres from practice because they're the best option left as the others have been used up, take a set to the next race, one set for quali(stock cars :) ) etc.

17. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

If longitudinal grip was better transmitted through the FFB (or at the very least have the option to "fakely" feel it through FFB settings customization like in rF1) then maybe we will :)

Under-driving the front-limits under braking because you need to keep "x" amount of front-grip in reserve due to severe lack of car-communication - since the longitudional grip, for the most part, is so poorly/vaguely transmitted - is arguably even more unrealistic to the driving experience as a whole than using (or at least having the option to use) "fake-but-directly-connected-to-the-physics FFB 'effects'" settings.

Those type of settings can give you longitudinal grip feedback ala RF1 style, what the new SimExperience Accuforce wheel seems to be able to do through it's SimCommander software, and what the DEM Racing Simulators' DRS Integrale Professional Steering System wheel can currently do with 1 particular game (and is being worked on "to get this on the other main simulation softwares").

;)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2015