SOLVED PC squealing noise in rF2 main menu (but not race, or other games)

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by R Soul, Feb 7, 2015.

1. R Soul

R Soul Registered

I recently installed the rF2 demo on my newly built PC. It runs fine even at max settings but when I view the main menu I hear a rather worrying squealing from inside the case. I recored it and put a video on youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hUmOFzPmeA

It's hard to hear exactly which component is causing it but the video may help someone.

The noise goes away when I click on Race and the track begins to load. It doesn't return while driving even though the graphics card and processor are being used a lot. It returns when I exit the race and go back to the menu. It quietens down and lowers in pitch when I click on exit and the confirmation menu is shown, or when I access some of the sub-menus. If I go back to main the noise returns, and if I exit, the noise goes away.

I've ruled out the case fan and the big one on the heatskink (by unplugging them). Other fans are on the PSU at the top and two fans on the graphics card, but some searching suggested a capacitor on the motherboard.

But why whould only rF2's menu screens cause this? It is surely not constantly reading the hard disk, the only other active thing with moving parts. I have another 3D game, the Dark Mod (based on the Doom 3 code) and that causes no squealing. I doubt it's a fault with rF2 (as I said, it's only a menu screen) but I'd be interested in knowing what it could be doing to cause this noise.

Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC Mate

Hard drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB

Graphics card: Radeon R9 280

PSU: Corsair VX550

Processor: Intel Core i5

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2015
  2. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

That's weird, I have the exact same problem in Game Stock Car Extreme. Never had it in this sim though.

3. filas

filas Registered

its GC, as menu without vsync runs really high fps. It can happen most of the the time in menu off other games to. You can try vsync (adaptive is better but vsync can produce lag on steering wheel), or limit fps, or make speakers louder :)

4. Sebastian Röhn

Sebastian Röhn Registered

I have the same issue, exactly only at the rF2 menue or in the lobby when it's searching for servers. In the moment the search is finished, the noise is gone. My specs are

Asus M5A97 Evo R2.0
    AMD FX8320
    Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850
    SSD Crucial MX100

...and it's not only since version 910. My guess it is coming from the GPU, but I haved really tried to locate it so far.

5. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

That's called 'coil whine', some people get it when the game is displaying very high frame rate. The rf2 menus I get 1000's FPS.
    You can fix by setting a frame rate limit in your Player.json file. Line called :

Code:
        "Max Framerate":0,

6. R Soul

R Soul Registered

Interesting responses. I just tried unplugging things, though there's not much in at the moment. A few times the noise briefly stopped but then resumed.

If the noise were constant it would be easier to narrow it down, but why would the GPU make that noise while the game was looking for servers?

Wow, thanks! I set mine to 100 and the noise went away. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2015
  7. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

Confirmed I get the same "whine" R9 290 here. Glad its actually something that can be explained ( Thanks DJC ) and its not my card crapping out.

8. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

You're welcome.
    I used to get it also with title screen of GTA4 with old PC.

9. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

get that whine with my R9 290 also,was much more pronounced until I setup MSIAfterburner to control GPU fan speed to keep it much cooler.
    Fan speed/heat correlation wasn't working past 47% (a reference design issue)

10. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Beat me to the punch! This line should be used on every game with an ISI base, and also find its equivalent in other games too.