GTX 680 4gb running 3 screens and reachin 99º (but not throttling)

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Je suis Luis, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Je suis Luis

Je suis Luis Banned

its a 4790k

I put on default cpu settings on asus software but im still getting 4297mhz on cpu frequency. Should i uninstall this thing? Its called dual inteligent processors 5

2. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

oh my lord ( covers eyes ) lol

Jer a 4970 is 4GHz to 4.4GHz turbo anything in between is fine when you run stock clocks.

Like Spin and I have said countless times in countless build threads use Auto OC software only as a guide on any settings then find lowest stable voltage.

Personally I would not overclock if you reaching 80C "any way it happens"

3. Je suis Luis

Je suis Luis Banned

yeah, ha ha i´m loling a lot here, NOT.
    ahaha, seriously Durge
    Should i uninstall this thing?

4. Je suis Luis

Je suis Luis Banned

It wasnt my intention. The software is called 5-way optimization. i thought optimization means "be cool, we handle this **** to you. not need to worry"

5. Je suis Luis

Je suis Luis Banned

i out of time now, damn

6. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

But all I know mate is you have a Asus 1150 Motherboard

I don't not run any of that crap Jer I set all bios manual, it is just more bloat for mine.

You can make a movie and gaming profile in bios, I don't nor ever liked OS/software overclocking other then for Benchtests.

As long as my PC can run full load 24/7 at decent temps at a given ambient temp.

I going to assume the H100i has not arrived, that will solve 1/2 your problem.

1. MAKE SURE you clean Processor properly of thermal tape and do not scratch it for goodness sakes.

I used artic cleaner for decade http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100010

2. Corsair H100i comes with pre-fitted TM (thermal material)

Make sure you do not bump or scratch that either.

Drop it on the lugs gentle and even, tighten even, you good to go.

After you re-check full load Processor temps in Prime, 3DMark and rF2 you can worry about the GPU.

7. Je suis Luis

Je suis Luis Banned

Asus z97 a. I will unistall the that software. I do not intend to overclock for now so i think im good to go.
    And i will see something on you tube how to properly install the cooler. Doesn´t seems difficult but has a lot of pieces and the manual isn´t clear enough to me.

Thanks!

8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

ASUS AI Suite 2 and AI Suite 3 don't actually fully/properly uninstall just from the regular windows uninstaller, you have to go to the ASUS website and download a small uninstaller file.

I'm guessing the name of your entire software is AI Suite 3, correct?

9. Je suis Luis

Je suis Luis Banned

Yes Spinelli. Thanks for this info. I was about to direct uninstall with revounistaller :p

Damn, sometimes i think how luck i am that nothing melted here... Thank you all again

10. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Yes, revounistaller is a great program, but for this specific program (ASUS AI Suite 2 and 3) don't even use that. Make sure to go directly to ASUS's site and download their Uninstaller file. Remember to get the correct one for the version you have ie. don't use the AI Suite 2 Uninstaller if you're using AI Suite 3.

11. Je suis Luis

Je suis Luis Banned

Im trying to post a pic of what i have done before turn on my pc so you can tell if it is safe but cannot find how to upload from my cell. Gonna see if i can borrow an ipad to do that.
    Ps: no lols please. Its a mess.

12. Je suis Luis

Je suis Luis Banned

13. Je suis Luis

Je suis Luis Banned

Take that commom sense...

14. Je suis Luis

Je suis Luis Banned

I wont turn this **** on until someone gives me a green flag.

Should i install any type of software to manage these new fans?

15. Je suis Luis

Je suis Luis Banned

Thanks for the advices John. Really appreciate.

Well, i did what you said. Let everything on auto and the results are, literally, cool!

Run the 3dMark test tool and my core temps get down to max: 50º 54º 48º 50º
    Not so impressive as i was expecting because i´ve disable the overclock software so it is running at default settings (it is an intel 4790k)

The gpu still going at high temps (94º this time) but i was thinking at this temp i will not be able to put my hand on the black plate above the gpu, but i did. I was hot but i manage to let my hand there for many time as i wish. Dont know if could be an fault sensor as Spinnelli suggest or the black plate was not suppose to get any higher temp than that.

Well, at least, cpu temps will not be an worry anymore :) Now back to gpu... :(

16. Je suis Luis

Je suis Luis Banned

Something i like to share. Comparing with other result (i think this is only related to processor unit) i got this results:
    Code:
    8 threads
    203.2 fps 
    24 threads
    120.0 fps 
    48 threads
    68.4 fps 
    96 threads
    37.7 fps
    Mine are the lower results.

The diference between our systems are these:

Code:
    Operating system
    64-bit Windows 7 (6.1.7601) 
    64-bit Windows 7 (6.1.7601) 
    Motherboard
    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK 1 
    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z97-A 
    Hard drive model
    Memory
    16.384 MB 
    8.192 MB 
    Module 1
    8192 MB Kingston DDR3 @ 889 MHz
    4096 MB Kingston DDR3 @ 800 MHz
    Module 2
    8192 MB Kingston DDR3 @ 889 MHz
    4096 MB Kingston DDR3 @ 800 MHz
    Again, mine are the lowers values. And our processors are working in the same way:

Code:
    Reported stock core clock
    4.000 MHz 
    4.000 MHz 
    Maximum turbo core clock
    4.395 MHz 
    4.397 MHz
    Is these results something i should worry?

17. Je suis Luis

Je suis Luis Banned

Thanks again Jonh. When you say "stable pc" you mean no bsod randomly, right?
    Next step, about gpu, is contacting the vendor as Spinelli suggested. You are alright about costs/benefits. I did it wrong buying this h110 (killing a fly with a brick). Expend too much on this.
    Now i have to wait sometime before put more money on this and do better research before.

So, now i will contact evga. Thank you again for helping with this. Cya.

18. Je suis Luis

Je suis Luis Banned

Evga forum is almost dead. Did some research and is not difficult to flash gpu bios.
    Here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1211151/flashing-nvidia-bios-within-windows

Since i will not edit nothing, i get original rom from here: http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/124751/evga-gtx680-4096-120531.html
    It matchs all with my nvidiainspector info

So, if anyone has anything against it, say something in the next 10 min.
    If do you want to see if i will brick my gpu or get success flashing, just stay in silence. :p

19. Je suis Luis

Je suis Luis Banned

LOL indeed :) It went well but...

...now i´m getting 98° as max temp but i was luck that who made the flash bios software made it dumb proof. Forget to disable the driver at first and choose the wrong .rom

Thanks for the advices John

20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I've flashed my GPU BIOSs 6 million times, never an issue. You'll be fine.

The BIOS will hardly make a difference to your temps considering they're so insanely high.

The fact that the cards are not underclocking/undervolting/throttling, despite almost 100 degree C temps, is what confuses me even more. This is a sign to me that it may be some sort of sensor issue.

Sticking a better cooler on a GPU -which reaches almost 100 degrees C under normal use and with it's normal/default cooler - is not a solution in my opinion. Unless of course the cooler itself is faulty or is not installed correctly, but otherwise, just throwing more and more cooling at it isn't the solution.

Even with your case, I still can't see how it's hitting almost 100 degrees C. And again, why is the care not throttling? It should throttle at around 80-90 degrees (you can adjust the throttling temperature with programs like EVGA Precision, possibly MSI Afterburner, etc.).

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2015