What is up with the optimization of this software

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sbishop1488, Jan 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

If all you have is a 60hz monitor then clearly your target should be 60fps. What does Tuttle's target have to do with ISI's target as a whole?

2. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Just read my system spec and you'll discover why my target is 60FPS and no, has nothing to do with the target of the game. That's a total nonsense.

3. Je suis Luis

Je suis Luis Banned

+1
    And the recommended system specs was a joke even when game was launched as a beta.

4. Eduard Mallorquí

Eduard Mallorquí Banned

Even if your monitor works at 60hz only 60fps in any simracing game feels laggy and you can even notice there is a lot more input lag, so any simulator should be run above 120fps or so. But that's quite an achievement for rF2, so this game is clearly not made for simracing.

5. Je suis Luis

Je suis Luis Banned

lol

Now you have gone too far

6. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

hmm, year is 2015 , beta release January 2012, years in making, no support to multi GPU, makes me to wonder, if it is going to happen or not and when, maybe it is best to ISI to make statement that rFactor2 don't support multi GPU and it never will just to get over it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2015
  7. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Performance in rF2 is quite competitive with other sims--if you don't use super sampling or SGSSAA, which unfortunately is required if you want a jaggies-free and shimmer-free moving image. If the transparency and/or aliasing issues could be improved somehow so that normal multi-sampling or adaptive multi-sampling looked good, 95% of the (single-screen) performance and graphics discussions would disappear.

8. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

One thing that feels a bit weird on the visual is a sense that there is some blurriness to the image, for example AC looks very sharp and defined. pCARS I felt similar, some grainy feel to the image.

9. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I am extremely anal about input lag but regardless of the frame rate.. at 60hz you're never going to get less lag even if you're running 120fps. It's just physically impossible to get a 60hz monitor to run 120fps. Also, it's very easy to get rF2 to run 60fps. I'm running everything maxed and never drop below my target 60fps (I'm on a 60hz) and I only have a GTX770. Hell even on my old HD5770 I could stay over 60fps with reduced settings. This was even before AMD released the new threaded drivers that fixed all the rF2 performance problems. If you don't like rF2 then fine, but enough of the misinformation.

For me I get the best results with all forms of VSync disabled and have "Max Framerate" set to 60 in the player file. I also get the best results in AC, iRacing and pCARS with VSync off and some sort of frame cap within the game.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2015
  10. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

And on top of disabling all sorts of VSync for minimum input lag, be sure to set pre-rendered frames to 1.

I disagree with one thing though - but I can't prove it and could be wrong - running >60fps (I aimed for 120 with minimums of 90), even if only running 60Hz visually (monitor refresh rate), seemed to improve input lag. This is what I felt while playing mostly RF1 and GTL @ 60Hz.

11. Je suis Luis

Je suis Luis Banned

Is there a problem setting to 4?

12. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Can cause microstutters if I remember correctly.

13. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Harder you drive, the more fps you have, the better the physics and steering.

Maybe it is just down to rF2 ?

I certainly don't get the same felling in AC or pCARS no matter the fps or settings ?

If it is not real I must have a aweful good imagination

14. Rony1984

Rony1984 Registered

The same for me here

15. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

The physics engine is no longer on the same thread as the GFX so even if you only have 30fps the physics engine keeps running full speed.

16. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I think I get that Noel but doesn't this have a direct relationship to CPU power and say 1 car vs 30 ?

I mean if people that could run lower settings, higher fps and go like " this looks woeful stuff that " they
    may never feel the chassis brakes steering as they too concerned with graphics.

Like I said if I increase to max settings and HDR I get 60 fps , yes I can drive fine online, I do HDR for nightime sessions.

When I do run 60 vs 120 I do not do my personal best laps , not even close and more then likely make a bigger error on lap trying to make up for time is not really there to find, the extra tenth or 2 ( .1 -.2 ) or more melts away into the whole lap. It becomes " blurry" to me :)

ie 120fps I did 1:48.5 no tow at Italy in F3 Eve online with full room yesterday ( 8 )

If I reduce fps to 60-80 no way I can do that, just don't happen :)

17. Domi

Domi Registered

Same here, and it is very obvious...

18. Je suis Luis

Je suis Luis Banned

Thanks. I think this maybe causing my gpu reaching max temp (98°C) very fast recently.

19. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I think most games have this defaulted to 2 or 3, higher numbers generally make for a more fluid experience but at the cost of input lag. This is a generalization though, some games/situations also loose stutters and become more fluid when lowering this number.

For every racing sim though, just set this to 1, trust me.

I believe AC and iRacing can set the max pre-rendered frames setting themselves (AC in a txt file, iRacing in-game gfx options), but not with ISI sims so just set this from your Nvidia gfx options.

20. Je suis Luis

Je suis Luis Banned

But Spinelli, these pre-rendered frames are not made by cpu?
    I have a pretty good cpu i think, i was thinking that should not be a problem for it to pre render 4 frames

edit: could you answer that in that thread i have created on hardware section?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.