What is up with the optimization of this software

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sbishop1488, Jan 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tjc

tjc Registered

No, neither do I, hence my original post. It`s a fair point though that I only use a single screen and can still run the sim maxed with 20+ AI and high, rock solid fps. :)

2. Domi

Domi Registered

That's a myth, simracing games aren't really hard on CPU due to "complexity of the physics".

3. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

LOL. Looks like someone is bored today. Must not get baited into this bait. ;)

4. Eduard Mallorquí

Eduard Mallorquí Banned

One would expect that with worse graphics you would get some better performance than other games, but it's not the case of rF2, it's the opposite.

5. doug484

doug484 Registered

No trouble here (and I run three screens). It must be something wrong with your system.

6. gkz

gkz Registered

:confused: i guess then that i'm on a never ending acid trip and imagined all my experiences? and all the dynamic physics in this game get calculated by what, the gpu? LOL :D
    I've was lucky enough to been able to test a lot.
    I have experiance with a PhenomII X4 955 and a 560Ti, i5 2500 (both with 560TI and GTX770 Jetstream) and now i5 4770K and the devils canyon i7 with a GTX770 together with high end mainboards by ASUS ROG. I played in 2D,3D Vision and now on the Rift DK2.

Instead of saying this and that is a myth, how about some actual facts? oh wait, then the myths die, dang it....

7. otta56

otta56 Registered

SLI Performance

You are not addressing the horrible SLI performance of rf2 with multiple GPUs + multiple monitors + multiview +HDR. rFactor 2 seems coded to run best on a single gpu regardless of the number of screens. This may be sufficient for smaller 1080p x 3 monitors but no single card so far has been able to run 3 27 inch monitors (2560 x 1440 x 3) in multiview with HDR at anwhere near 60 fps. This is not totally down to how rF2 is coded since sli relies on Nvidia profiles to work properly but the current profile has not been updated since 2011. How about submitting a new executable for Nvidia to test so an updated profile can be created?

The comment from Joe Camapana (04-05-14, 08:27 PM) "This is nonsense, guys. Our multiGPU performance is as good, or better, than anyone and has been for a while. I have tested it extensively and consistently get 90% GPU util on both GPUs, AMD and nVidia." only means that multi-gpu performance is poor in general. I have tried with 1, 2 & 3 Nvidia GTX Titans and performance is poor for all sli configurations. Running rF2 with 1 Titan resolves most of the sli stuttering problems but does not give high enough frame rates at high resolutions (7680x1440) to make rf2 playable.

If any of your developers are running multi-card setups, could they please provide a detailed list of settings for gpus sli profiles (particularly compatibility bits) and in-game settings along with their monitor resolutions and the frame rates they are getting? That would help enormously in sorting out the performance issues with sli configurations.

8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Hey there. If 3D is disabled in the control panel than it's fully disabled and will behave just as if you never had 3D. If you do control-T to disable the 3D Vision in-game but still enabled in the background then your frames do go from what I remember, but I don't know if it is still as good as one card, let alone better than 1 card, I can't remember. I sold one of my cards and two monitors (upgrading both) so I can't test SLI or triple screens for you at the moment, just single screen, single card, 3D.

I thought so too, and I've been hearing this same story for 5 years now, but it's a not true. In AC you get big framerate improvements even from 8x to 4x, let alone 16x to to 8x. I also tested this in GSCE and RF2, it's the same deal but only when a lot of cars are together. I noticed about a 10 fps increase at the start of a race just going from 16x to 8x. I don't recommend going down to 4x though because then you see an IQ difference, but 8x looks just about identical to 16x.

9. gkz

gkz Registered

cool thanks for info. maybe the racing titles do something differently than shooter/sport/strat games. will try that in my next session.
    cheers!

10. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

It's tremendously mod-dependant (cars).

Exactly same track, same time day, same graphical options, same number of opponents and I go from 40 FPS (Megane WSGT2) to 80 FPS (Camaros) starting from the back of the grid in Interlagos, all maxed except track reflection (low) - GTX 980.

11. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

I'm actually impressed with the way it was optimized...

When Silverstone first came out, full detail and three AI cars were trouble, down to under 20 FPS.

Now, after the memory increase, and the fixed ATI Drivers released last year (which made a world of difference), and all the other fixes, updates, track optimizations... a 26 car field at full detail (minus reflections) runs solid capped at 45 FPS (sometimes 60 but I prefer constant over high framerate). And that's 1920x1200 with decent FSAA on a four-year old gfx card and a five-year old CPU.

But yeah, it appears the OP must be suffering from SLI.

12. cosimo

cosimo Registered

Sebring and all other VLM tracks work great for me, really and always have even when I used a GT650. At least it's not a general problem.

13. matf1

matf1 Registered

I was a little surprised at that comment too. I run there a bit and its always rock solid. No shadows 120fps.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

14. Domi

Domi Registered

And if you run the game in 640x480 I've heard the framerate is quite better too.

15. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

loool

I will bite :p

wtf is he doing here ? :confused:

hehehe

16. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Assetto seems to do an excellent work of pushing multi-core thread work, the AI utilizes player physics too so there is quite a bit of work going on. The graphics are a bit heavy in rF2, it's true, but a couple of toggles to decrease shadows, special effects, occlusion, wind and crowd motion, and environment reflection can greatly help you. Turning track texture to high instead of full too, possibly. It is a bit of a "burden" you have to live with, as someone said, different pieces of software.

17. stonec

stonec Registered

I'm afraid you are wasting your time with this. It has been requested enough times over the past couple of years, there is no reason why there would suddenly be some communication now. Especially when problem isn't acknowledged as per last Q&A.

18. matf1

matf1 Registered

139fps avg, with shadows on.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

19. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

What's up is possibly that you are comparing two VERY different titles, some would claim "Simcade" vs. "Simulation"

RF2 offers dynamic lightning, day/night cycle, sky/clouds, weather, RealRoad (rubber/wetness/marbles), tyre deformation based on advanced calculated physics test, flat spotting... and the physics has the highest rate of any sim.

Many of these featutes not only has to be calculated but also integrated in graphics shaders, which all has it's costs on overall performence.

I'm running tripples on a 780ti and can pull decent FPS with medium to high settings.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2015
  20. jkn87

jkn87 Registered

Completely agree.
    I can run rf2 everything max with 23 air with solid 60 fps but in ac I can only drive with maximum 9 ai otherwise CPU load surpass 95% and super shuttering and **** start to occur despite it shows still 60 fps but because of CPU it runs as **** all running high-max settings.
    I have an old amd phenomenon 2 x4 965 OC to 3.9ghz and gtx760 stock clock

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.