What is up with the optimization of this software

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sbishop1488, Jan 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sbishop1488

sbishop1488 Registered

Hi,

Just purchased rFactor 2, since I just got a nice G27, after playing Assetto Corsa for a number of weeks. I didn't expect superb graphics since I'd already heard this was the case, however, I didn't expect the software to be NOT optimized at all.

I can run Assetto with very good graphics with up to 26 AI cars in a race and hit around 60 fps, with this game I can only have 6 AI cars to get the necessary smoothness (and even then its not as smooth as Assetto).

I am running on mainly medium/low settings and considering the graphics aren't up to Assetto standards I'm confused why it runs so badly.

It seems a lot of optimization needs to be performed with this software, some graphics settings I lowered and the FPS was worse until I raised them again, that's plain bad.

I haven't listed my specs since like I said I can run Assetto with pretty high graphics with no issues. Has anyone else experienced this bizarre behaviour?

Thanks

2. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

What track + car have you tested?
    Do you have triple screens?
    SLI?
    Can you post a screenshot of your ingame graphic settings?

3. tjc

tjc Registered

Nope...

I can run rf2 completely maxed with varying amounts of AI and rock solid, high fps.

Specs are below my avatar.

The software seems pretty well optimized to me...

Posting your specs might help.

4. stonec

stonec Registered

Well to be fair, any game will run well on 780 GTX + single screen 1920x1080...

AC is better optimized with regards to GPU, but requires more CPU power if you add lots of AI, is my conclusion from testing. Also AC uses DX11 which helps with performance on modern cards.

5. Daytona 675

Daytona 675 Registered

Specs please??? People canĀ“t guess.

6. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

Assetto has no dynamic environment. No animations, like track marshals that wave yellow flags as soon as a car causes a problem further up the track. No real road shader that gradually builds as you drive etc etc These are just a few examples of isi's extremely advanced simulator software that takes more computing power. I have a reasonable system and find most good quality tracks ISI and 3rd party are pretty well optimised. But some tracks are pretty bad. Try searching around the forums, there are a few threads to help out with getting the most out of rf2 without sacrificing quality.

7. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Not enough info to receive any help. System specs, screen res. and your current graphics settings are required.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2015
  8. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

It has a lot of optimizations. More than most games based on in-house engines.
    It just doesn't have any modern optimizations, like games based on high-end commercial engines get out of the box.

As for comparison to AC - ISI has a bad habit of putting details and variety where people don't notice them.

9. baked bean

baked bean Registered

If you are using Nvidia, in the control panel, change pre-rendered frames to 1. That should make it run smoother. :)

10. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

RFactor 2 Config (out of game):

1. Set AA Level to "None"

2. Un-check FXAA

In-game::

1. If your shadows are on max, then lower by at least 1 click.

2. If you have shadow blur on, then set to "fast".

3. If you're using AF @ 16x, then set it to 8x.

Nvidia graphics options:

1. Set pre-rendered frames to 1

2: If you were previously using "8xAA" then set to "16xCSAA"

3. If you were previously using 4xAA, then set to 8xCSAA

SLI:

1. If using SLI but not Nvidia 3D Vision, then disable SLI for RF2 as SLI and RF2 currently have scaling issues when running in 2D mode (the SLI scaling in 3D mode is literally just about 100% perfect).

Please get back to us...

11. delapecs

delapecs Registered

Two questions Spinelli, If I have SLI and Nvidia 3D vision but I have deactivated 3d in nvidia control panel, I have the same scaling benefits? Second, If I have SLI and 3d enabled in control panel and I press Ctrl-T in game to deactivate, the are any scaling benefits?
    I'm thinking to buy a second graphics card..
    Thanks

12. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

As any other game in the planet, Assetto Corsa is NOT a performance benchmark. It's just a different game, using different features, different physics, different GFX, different assets, different light engine, different libraries, etc etc etc. Loads of variables involved.

If you need help or suggestions, and you are interested in find a solution, just post your system spec and the combo used to make the test. Without that what you're asking/reporting can't be replied at all, without starting another infinite, useless, polluting and boring flame.

Would be also interesting to know why you bought rF2 without trying the free demo and check everything.

Thanks.

13. Domi

Domi Registered

Yes, but I already gave up long time ago.

14. tjc

tjc Registered

Fair point... would have helped if the OP had posted his specs though. :)

15. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

It's more than 1 year I'm running a triple with a single stock GTX780, still no problems running full res@60FPS with a 20 cars field with everything maxed out (not using nVidia inspector to push AA) apart shadows blur and enviro reflections set to min. There are few tracks where I need to push down track and opponents details to keep the FPS target safe, but something I struggle to notice when racing.

I don't think today that card can be considered a monster GPU. :)

16. Matt A

Matt A Registered

Why didn't Op try the demo first? Seems like the logical thing to do, especially if they'd already heard things about rf2.

I have a cheap CPU, and in today's market a mediocre grade gpu and it runs well on my system petty much maxed out. In fact the CPU when running AC holds me back after about 10 cars, were I can run easily 24 in rf2 with no problems.

Op post specs or no one can advise you

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

17. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

You don't even need to try the demo, there is absolutely nothing wrong with RF2 performance anymore even if compared to other games, it's absolutely fine unless using SLI in 2D. I'm assuming the OP is using SLI because there is no way his performance could otherwise be so abysmal.

18. gkz

gkz Registered

OP, I had the same experiance as you do.
    BUT:
    As all others said, please post your specs if you want help.
    I also had to learn it the hard way. rF2 has different demands on hardware. You really need a very strong CPU to start off. My buddy just recently had to get rid off his i5 2500K because it didn't matched rF2 demands anymore. You can't compare AC with rF2. rF2 engine does so many heavy physics calculations it can't be compared to other games/sims. I also thought that way in the beginning but it's a very rigid view on things that won't help you.

Also steady FPS are a must have. Fluctuations in fps shouldn't be more then just a few % in worst case scenario.
    Shadows and reflections have the biggest influence on FPS. Those are very dynamic in rF2 and thus also very demanding.

@spinelli: AF can be set to 16x. This setting does no harm to anybodies performance since over 4 years or more.

Regarding graphics in general: Right now, I don't think AC looks that much better anymore (if at all tbh). IMO the car models right now look even better in rF2. The GT Chevy's on full texture look sick! When I drive in the Rift it looks like I'm really on the track with those beauties ;) Jaw dropping every time I go on the virtual track, literally every time ^^

The only thing I don't get is why maps like Sebring kill the CPU. Can anyone enlighten me about this? It's the only reason why I don't use this track. Although it's in either 3D Vision or Rift DK2. 2D wouldn't be a problem but I don't drive in 2D since years.

19. Matt A

Matt A Registered

Gkz, I have issues with a couple of mod tracks, like Sebring and blackwood. Is nothing to do with rf2, that's something those modders should fix.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

20. gkz

gkz Registered

You are absolutely right. I just remembered that the guy that made the tracks poznan,croft and putnam park were one of this first mod tracks entirely done for rF2 and those have superb FPS and graphics. It'd be nice to see Seebring and Mid-Ohio updated. Very very nice tracks but performance is not good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.