Driving in rain. Is it even possible right now?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gkz, Jan 21, 2015.

1. gkz

gkz Registered

Hey there,
    just wanted to ask the community what's up with rain driving?
    I was fooling around with it and I just don't understand it.

1) I feel and see no difference between having dry or wet tires. The physics feel the same on both types of tires in terms of braking distance and handling. How come? Often no matter how I drive I just understeer out of the corner. I can't accelerate out of the corner aswell. As soon as I'm not moving around like a turtle on sand I spin out or something and the AI drives like it's dry.
    2) The AI all of the sudden is super fast. When I drive the Camaro GT3 on dry conditions I have to put them on most tracks ~105% strength. As soon as I try it under wet conditions they are like 8-20sec per lap faster then me.

I wanted to start driving with dynamic weather conditions but that seems impossible to me right now. It's literally like driving on ice with 100% worn off tires that have no traction at all.
    Am I doing something completely wrong?

Thanks.

PS: Other then that I just LOVE the new builds. It's so freaking awesome dynamic I can't believe the progress rF2 made in the last 3 months. Best driving experience on a computer EVER with GT cars. The Chevy's and Nissans by ISI are a masterpiece right now.

2. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Keep trying, driving style and even setup is quite different than dry weather racing. You might just have to lower AI% to keep up with them. Their physics calcs. are much more simplified than yours.

3. gkz

gkz Registered

I just tried out LRP once more with rain. Even with adjusted brake bias and maximum downforce along with TC activated it makes very little difference. Adjusting AI isn't possible when you want to drive with dynamic weather. Then also there's the problem that you can't change your entire setup on the fly in a dynamic environment for example on a GT EnduRace. When it starts to rain I can't change the entire cars setup with a pit stop. If it were like this in real life, as soon as it starts to rain 90% of drivers would die ;D
    Also I just saw AI is having serious problems,too. They either drive like god himself on rain or fly out of the corners themselves ^^

4. Fabio Pittol

Fabio Pittol Registered

I feel that too.

When I tested drinving in the rain a few (maybe more than a few) builds before, the difficulty increased accordingly but the wet tires seems to make an effect.
    Now for me it's close to useless, since even slowing down a lot, changing the driving style, fiddling with the setup, it stills seems that I'm driving with slicks.

I might not be the best driver out there, but I'm not that dumb either! lol

5. RJames

RJames Registered

You need to build a car setup to work "best" in both conditions, or be "great" at one or the other, exactly as real teams do. You often hear of teams comprising their setups incase of rain or weather conditions. There is no perfect setup that does both great. (To note just throwing more downforce on the car does not solve it, having the suspension tuned to wet settings makes a world of difference.)

I think the adjustments you can make at the pitstops are with the wings (on some mods) to add/release some downforce which can help dependent on the setup.

That's exactly how it works in real life, you don't see cars come in during a pitstop and them changing a complete setup, they usually tweak aero as typically they would be running a car setup that's adequate already. The only time you may see a full car setup change for example at Le Mans if the car is boxed for a long duration.

Regarding tires, totally depends on the mod. Most wet tires take longer to heat up but will infact make a substantial difference to driving that on dry tires, you cant change tires and expect instagrip.

Next the biggest difference is driving style, it has to totally change for wet weather. Much earlier braking, nailing the turn in, easy on the gas etc. You can push it more once the drying line starts showing.

I've taken part in a number of endurance events with changeable weather in rf2 and experienced much of what the weather can throw at us and can say hand on heart having a properly developed setup and knowing when to try NOT to gain that tenth in the wet can totally transform your experience.

6. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

There's no setup workaround to catch AI cars in wet conditions. They simply keep the same pace of dry track and you go to a spinning fest whatever be your setup.

This should be fixed soon because changeable weather is quite useless nowadays.

7. gkz

gkz Registered

I tested it solely with ISI content. I also didn't expect "instagrip". Driving as always, building up temperatures and grip. Increasing speed and break pressure accordingly. The tires make no difference. I drove so many laps that I even worn off the Wet-Tires on rainy conditions. I also wrote that I tried different techniques but no matter how you adjust your driving style it's still way to unbalanced on rainy conditions. I don't think that FIA GT cars that cost up to half a million can't manage driving 60km/h if it starts to rain. No matter how cold your car, no matter the tires. It's really just to extreme in rF2. Right now it is like: even slight rain equals aquaplaning - everywhere on the track.

I wonder, when did you last time drove enduracing events? Maybe in older builds the balance was better.
    To me it looks like ISI did a great job advancing in all the physics aspects I so love about this sim but have forgotten to adjust and balance out the new settings to rainy conditions. Something really feels awfully off about wet tracks.

Tim, if you read this, can someone from ISI please clarify the situation on rain conditions? At which state it is right now and what to expect in the future? An honest answer by you guys would be so much appreciated by all of us about this.

8. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Since OP looks like he's not taking anybodies advice, how about he post a video of his rain driving to show how off things are. Lets get straight to the chase here. :) Can't drive 60KM/Hr? Please. lol.

Im' sure things are off btw, like no puddles, I don't even think there is aquaplaning and there isn't any varying degrees of wetness as far as I know.

9. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Last I ran wet was near build 660 or or even earlier, and with wet tires I had incredible grip and lapped the URD EGT around Imola GT in about 1:50. I remember there used to be an issue where wet grip on wets felt the same or even than dry weather.

10. gkz

gkz Registered

Why do you have to attack me in your first post in this thread? You didn't even gave a tip yourself. Why don't you make a video of your superb rain driving and show me how it's done? :)
    At least I try and write detailed about my experience. And all I've seen so far by other posters is that they either drove rain with an ancient build that can't be compared (btw yes, older builds were drivable in rain but I ask about what is now and now what was in the past) or have the same experience as me. Also no one can deny that something has to be off when even the AI crashes constantly in rain. If you need AI 105% on dry and 70% on wet something is off.

11. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

I gave up on dynamic weather, just for the simple fact the AI will not adjust tire choice. If the track starts wet and drys up they keep running full Wet tires.

IMHO this part just isn't anywhere near ready yet.

12. hammer666

hammer666 Registered

Don't know if its a tire heating up issue, but tried a few times to have a Civic Race at Silverstone with rain halfway through.

Driving on slicks was absolutely fine when it starts to rain, pull in to the pits to put on wets when it started raining harder and it was like ice-skating, horrid.
    Tried this several times, was better to stay on slicks, far more grip in the wet than wets. o_O

13. Jeferson Richart

Jeferson Richart Registered

Also feel something wrong with the rain tire mods ISI. In my real street car, I can walk quietly to 100 km / h in rFactor 2, a racing car with more aerodynamic, can not walk 60 km / h. In my league I changed the grip of wet tires, to a value that found a satisfactory driving. ISI would correct rain tires of official mods, to values that allow us to get to race, and not be skating on ice.

14. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Remember... the weather in rF2 can be set to a condition where a race would be red flagged in real life.

But yes, there is something a bit much with the cars on a wet track, not enough grip at all!

15. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Road car tyres are much narrower and have deeper grooves than racing tyres, no surprise a regular road car seem to be more stable under severe rain. I remember some wet kart racing that I was pretty sure that I could go faster walking than driving the damned kart. Racing cars don't like water. But the rF2 rain tyres are weird indeed, same experience here, I rather keep slick tyres, there's no gain pitting.

16. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

^ Dedicated Rain tires in racing are much better than allaround tires for road use.

17. rhamm

rhamm Registered

I've had them pit if it started raining and then pit again later after the track dried off. The bad thing is I set my races to 30 minutes in length and that's not long enough for them to be able to make up the pit stop time on the track so I end up lapping the field. After it happened a second time I just disabled dynamic weather.

18. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Hmm, interesting.

I ran the F1RFT2013 mod on a drying track, they started on full wets and kept on full wets even as the line became visible fully dry. Since I had tire degradation at 2x they kept coming in for new rubber every 3 laps or so, but never changed the tire type.

So you confirm you saw AI pit for rain tires and change back to dry tires later?

19. Minibull

Minibull Member

Yeah, I think something is off with the wet weather, and is just another one of the things that will be looked at I'm sure.

But I do remember a similar statement from Tim, that the full on rain level is meant to be at the track flooded point. As you said, where races would be cancelled.

20. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Had an AI race the other day, in mixing conditions.
    AI changes tyres from wet to slick, but not before the track is 85% (or so) dry.
    They change, but very late.