Simple question about 3DSMax and 3DSimED

Discussion in 'Modding' started by MHansen, Jan 12, 2015.

1. MHansen

MHansen Registered

Hi all,

As I am new to modding, I have a couple of quick questions (I hope) that I haven't been able to find a reasonable answer to.

So, my plan is to create a model in 3DSMax with textures and the works, and then use 3DSimED to export the model to RFactor2.

So my questions is. Do you save the textures in .dds format and then add them in 3DSMax or do you import them as .jpg (or other format) and then export them as .dds in 3DSMax?

Do any on you know whether the shader package etc. is necessary, when using 3DSimED?

2. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

If you have possibility to use 3ds max, you don't need 3DSimED at all. You can export content from max to rF2 directly with ISI's exporter.

With these plugings, you also got rF2 shaders (gMaterial) in 3ds max. Then you can use dds textures in max as well. Just remember dds format heavily packaged, like jpeg. If you need edit your textures, do it in your original psd and re-save them to dds.

3ds max plugins comes with rF2 SDK, which you can download here.

rFactor 2 Devscorner

Cheers

3. MHansen

MHansen Registered

Thank you for your answer. The main reason for using 3DSimED is also to go from .gmt format to .3ds format. The other is that I am working in 64 3DSMax and as far as I know, there plugins are not yet in 64 format?

Cheers

4. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

The ISI plugins are only for 32bits version of 3DS Max.

5. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Yes, that is true. Only 32bit version is supported. Both 32 and 64bit versions are included to max's installation media.

Cheers

6. raul999

raul999 Registered

Sorry Mhansen but i do not recommend you do this. Because in the 3dstudio max exporter you need Check some things AboUt shading objects and normal settings. If you want create a mod, you need the exporter. 3dsimed is good for make conversions.

7. freew67

freew67 Registered

You mean the exporter that comes with Dev Mode? A few files you just have to drag and drop in?

8. raul999

raul999 Registered

He want make a mod in 3dstudio 64 bits but he can not export, he want export to 3dsimed and then export 3dsimed to gmt. But maybe the 3d models have problems with lighting system, because in the 3dstudio gmt exporter is neccesary check the omni box and other things:

[​IMG]

In 3dsimed this options is non-existent

Sorry for my bad english mates i hope you understand me good. :)

9. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

I would advise not to do this. 3ds is an archaic format and among other things will strip the mapping from texture channels other than 1. Use dae or fbx.

10. freew67

freew67 Registered

Does you 64 bit installer not have the 32 bit as well?

11. R1CHO

R1CHO Registered

just looking at that is that a , or a . for tan and bin, on my max it comes up as a . and i make them -0.1 for both