Launcher not starting

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Timpie Claessens, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Timpie Claessens

Timpie Claessens Registered

Might aswell use it for the next issue.
    I think this has been going on for about half a year now. When I boot my computer I can literally open the RF2 Launcher once.
    After that it appears in the task manager and just sits there at 3.000kb doing nothing.

If I feel lucky I can start closing the process and clicking the launcher.exe again and sometimes after 10-20times it re-opens, others times I have to restart because it refuses.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2015
  2. fohdeesha

fohdeesha Registered

did you update to the latest build 910 by chance? My RF2 has always worked perfect, but ever since I updated to b910 it started doing this occasionally.

What totally fixed it for me is to make sure the launcher process is not running (kill it), then browse to C:\Users\Jon\AppData\Roaming\.rFactor

Obviously replace Jon with your own user account name

Delete the three files in there. Note you will need to log back in to your account and re-active rf2 in the launcher really quick, but that's it, it doesn't affect game settings or anything like that, just your license file. That totally made the problem disappear for me

3. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

I have the same problem with my rF2. The only working solution for me is to set the flag for not close the launcher in the UI with the disadvantage that no Alt + Tab (CTD) is possible.
    I was until now to lazy to do a scratch install to see if this solves the problem.

4. Timpie Claessens

It has happened with every build so far since, like I said, about half a year or go. (Give or take, I dont quite remember the exact date :p )

I will give the solutions you guys gave definitly a try. I also send support an email so if I get response from them I'll post it here aswell for you guys :)

5. atlantakat

atlantakat Registered

I have had the same problem since the new build.

I seem to have fixed the problem by going into Task Manager/Processes and closing out the rFactor Launcher process (which I think has been stuck running after the last session playing the game so the next time you start the game, rFactor 2 thinks that the launcher is already running).

After closing the process, I start rFactor 2 again and the Launcher then loads properly.

Hope this helps.

6. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

That works off and on for me, I have found killing the process in task manager and logging off and back on to windows usually does the trick.

7. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

In task manager, ending the process tree has worked 100% of the times for me. If that fails for "you," end explorer tree and then click on File > New > type "explorer"

8. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

To the OP..and everybody else....

How long (on average) is it taking for the first RF2 to launch of the day (from the time you double-click the start icon until it's running)?
    Mine can sometimes go for almost a minute.
    The second launch is much, much faster.

9. Knight of Redemption

Yes I have found that, I also found the answer for my non start issue...Teamspeak! If I have that running and get an rF2 crash, or shut down the launcher for any reason then rF2 will not run from the shortcut, shut down Teamspeak and it runs! So if any of you with this issue are running Teamspeak give that a try. Run the rF2 launcher first, then Teamspeak.

10. Voltaic

Voltaic Registered

For me, anytime I run DXTORY the Launcher will not run, even if I quit DXTORY and retry. This has been going on for several builds now. I'm not sure if it is an rF2 issue or not.

11. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

About 12 seconds.
    Then 2 seconds after that.

12. Knight of Redemption

So on the long first boot time...First time out rF2 is creating a disk cache that remains until you reboot windows, so subsequent launches are faster, time to invest in an SSD methinks.

13. Valter Cardoso

Valter Cardoso Registered

Well, this problem was posted many times in past.
    In our server (running in Windows Web server) launcher never closes the process. Everytime we need to make a change we need to kill the process manualy. This gets messy when you have 3 or 4 rf2 servers like we have and in process list you dont know what to close since every one has the same name. We cant close server process while theres people racing in other servers otherwise we can be closing their server.

Other issue happens while broadcasting. I need to open launcher before xplit otherwise it wont open at all. While broadcasting if any problem occur and rf2 crash we need to shut down xplit, open launcher, open xplit, restart broadcasting again.
    We workaround it by not auto closing launcher but i think this should be solved.

14. Timpie Claessens

Ok sorry, forgot about RF2 abit since I posted this.
    I haven't figured anything out yet that might fix it so I'll go trough the thread real quick.
    -Killing the process doesn't work, or atleast not as to call it a solution since it can take 5 or 25 tries, or simply an infinite amount of tries without doing anything.
    -First launch is almost instantly, it runs of a Samsung 840 SSD SATA6
    -I don't use TS3 or Dxtory

This is the reply I got from support

The prefetch thing seems irrelevant since that gets disabled with SSD's, maybe rF2 isn't compatible with them?
    I also tried running it as admin but to not avail. The other possible solution I havent tried sine I'm the only user and I'm not going to make a user account just for RF2.

15. jimagn

jimagn Registered

Stopping the process in Task Manager worked for me. Interestingly this has never happened to me before today, which is the first time launching rF2 after the most recent Win7 updates. Related? Not so for others here, it seems, by the dates of the posts.

16. Jonathon LeFaive

Jonathon LeFaive Registered

Tim, if the GUI only appears immediately after booting, then there is likely a background service that is at odds with the Launcher. IgfxTray, ATI Tray Tools and AMD Catalyst are possible culprits.

Slow startups are most likely due to having a lot of packages in your packages directory. Subsequent startups are using filesystem cache. Archiving old packages in a subfolder will speed this up. Future builds will address this issue.

Zombie processes are a different issue. These are most likely due to the rFactor.exe not closing properly as oppose to the Launch rFactor.exe. The Launcher window will now hide while in SP or MP and only reappear after the rfactor.exe process has terminated. This is a known issue, but we are finding it hard to reproduce on our end.

17. Timpie Claessens

I actually thought this was fixed with the last build, I launched it a couple of times in like 5 days without a reboot of my PC in between. Want to start it today after updating 2days ago and still nothing. I've tried about 20times now and it just won't open.

18. Jonathon LeFaive

Jonathon LeFaive Registered

Tim, is your Launcher setup to auto-login? If so, try renaming "C:\Users\{user}\AppData\Roaming\.rFactor\rFactor.credentials" to something like "rFactor.credentials.bak" and see if that helps.

19. HKF0x

HKF0x Registered

I had the same issue since maybe 10 builds, Rfactor launcher working only 1 time by reboot then "Launch rFactor.exe*32" showing up in task manager but nothing else.
    Took me a while to isolate the problem but in my case it came at 100% from Xfire software, if i close it and kill "Launch rFactor.exe*32" in task manager i can start it 100 times in a row with no problem, so yeah it's definitivly a game hook problem.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2015
  20. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Tim,

I don't know if you've solved your problem but I can suggest something to look for that worked for me. I've been fighting this problem since several builds back. After one build it seemed to fix itself but then it returned. What seems to have been my problem is that I had gotten a new wheel and installed it but did not uninstall the drivers for the old wheel. (Actually I had drivers for 2 old wheels still installed!) Last night I uninstalled them and low and behold the launcher starts up every time now. I'll be nervous that the problem will come back until I get several days of success (some new builds!) behind me. But for now I think I nailed it. It was an instant turn around... I was at the point that the launcher would NEVER start (no matter what tricks I tried) to it starts every time.

One key to my revelation was that at some point, at the suggestion of someone in a help thread for this problem, I tried double clicking the icon immediately when it appeared in the boot process, before many background things had a chance to load. Kind of jumping ahead in the line. And that worked (for a while) though I still had to restart the PC if the launcher was ever closed. I say "for a while" because after some time (another new build?) even that quit working. But it made me think that some individual "process" in the overall boot process was causing the hang-up. I was thinking about doing the Windows boot mode where you get to pick which processes load but decided to first just take a look in Control Panel/Programs and Features to see what the heck was all running. That's when I saw the old wheel drivers.

So maybe this might be your problem. I hope so for your sake. I totally know how frustrated you must be. I was at the point of just giving up on this game and moving on to some other one.

Now if I can just get my gd Thrustmaster TX to quit losing its center point I'll be able to play the sim! I was hopeful that the extra drivers might cause both problems but alas, no such luck.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2015