Can't join my own server??.... (video included)

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by Spinelli, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I choose the car and track, yet can't join. Also, where is the section with rules like flags, laps, aids, race settings (weather, start time, session length), etc.? The "options" button doesn't do anything. Finally, why can I not name the server, which, I'm guessing, is why it shows up as "UNKNOWN" in the rF2 server list?

2. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Edit Multiplayer.JSON and all is fine :)

3. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

There's a ton of lines in there ranging from basic stuff to some pretty complex sounding options...Which line/option do I need to change in order to join my own server?

4. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

"Default Game Name":"Server name here", Remember to open ports in you router/modem and also in you Windows firewall if windows don`t do this automatically.

5. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I've never had to open ports in my router/modem in my entire life to play any video game or start my own online room in any video game in my entire life. I'm pretty sure this is not the issue. Can you please look at the video I posted? It seems to be an issue with rFactor 2 itself since the "join" button is greyed-out.

UPDATE: Ignore what I wrote above. Apologies to ISI and everyone else with regards to me claiming that I don't need to mess with router/modem/port settings in other sims (like RF1 & GSCE) to set up my own server, that is incorrect on my part.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2015
  6. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Use 32bit when using Dedicated Server Prototype I don`t think 64 bit works or you can try to host vmod you have created with Dedicated Server Prototype with regular Dedicated Server and look if it works.

7. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

Did you make a rfmod with the mas utility?

8. AceLain

AceLain Registered

The option button doesn't work with the prototype dedicated server

I would suggest creating a server using the normal dedicated server... All the basic configuration are there. After that, close it.

Redo it using the prototype, it will use the setting that you used in the regular dedicated server

For joining the server, when I do my own server on my local machine and I want to join using that same machine, I must wait at least 20 secondes before the join button light up

Hope that help

9. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Dedicated Server prototype works but you must force 32 bit, I have one test server online-Fun2Race.net_TEST- (370z and TigerMoth) I can join, try it out and look if it works for you too..

10. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Sweet, I'l try with rF2 32 bit. I don't use the non-prototype server because it's simply retarded for multiple reasons, lol.

11. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Ok it works in 32-bit and 64-bit mode, however, you need to wait on the server list and keep clicking a bunch of different servers and eventually the icon won't be greyed-out anymore, lol.

- Skip/ignore from 0:45 to 1:20

This is still quite an issue though as most people will simply think that they can't join the server...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2015
  12. Dalek

Dalek Registered

for joining a local server, you have to wait a while.
    i guess it's related to the MM that switches to LAN after a little wait.

Happens everytime i try to join my local server.
    Good news is, that players who are not on your local network will be able to join without the small delay.

13. AceLain

AceLain Registered

Exactly

Other people don't wait

I use the old dedicated server For the configuration only

You don't have to click on other server, just wait

14. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Did you start and run the mod offline first create files.

I do that I have no problem, I can join my room instantly.

I don't I do.

15. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Ok, so when other ppl try to join, the join button will be light up right away, there's only a delay for the player who created the server (me, in this case)?...

16. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I do have bugs sometimes Spin.

If I in a room and make a new mod in FSW and install then leave my room and boot the new mod sometimes it just hangs.

Other times yes I have had what appears to be server lag usually the 8 quick refresh clicks fixes it.

Or I can highlight join a few other rooms then my server kicks in.

But the mods I have run more then once and have closed the room down proper seem to boot instantly.

Like the NORDS mod I in now would not boot at all when I made it, offline/online it took a while to make files if you get me.

Now it is 1 click.

17. AceLain

AceLain Registered

On my own local server, that is the case

18. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Wat....

Ho3n3r likes this.
  19. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Dedicated server prototype uses same settings as you used last time in Single Player Mode, before you are hosting just go to single player mode and choose settings you like to use online and remember if you like to use real road random weather must bee used if not Dedicated Server Prototype uses green road.:)

20. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

The new proto UI is very early beta hence the name "proto". It is really not ready for primetime. For now you have to manually edit the json for a lot of the options that are in the original UI and a lot of the buttons in this new prototype don't even work.

For now you would be better off just learning how to make your own vmods with the mas2 tool and then host using the original dedi UI.

About opening ports for the server. This is basic hosting stuff. All game servers need ports to be forwarded. What game server have you ever used that didn't require some ports to be opened/forwarded?