Silverstone v1.35 Now Available!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Jan 2, 2015.

1. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I'm having so much fun with the new layout! Awesome with the old start finish straight into Copse. Love it! :)

2. TOCA2FREAK

TOCA2FREAK Registered

I have come across a problem with the National layout. While hosting a server we ran a formation lap in the Seat Leon Cup car and then stopped at our grid spots. We waited for the green light but had no bleeps but eventually the lights went green. The server then crashed. The same happens when running the Honda Civic BTCC car on the National layout. GT and International layouts work with no problems.

Anyone else having this when running a dedicated server?

Many thanks.
    www.revs-simracing.co.uk

3. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

What mod is this?? Touring?

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Mix of URD and another mod.

5. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Because it works beautifully offline and later releases required massive effort to get going (x64 change) or broke features, so I got tired of constantly doing the update dance.

6. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Just for fun GCCRacer, do a separate Installation of Build 910, to see, wich massive improvements happens since B660...Last but not least, all the improvements of the ISI Tracks, are not working with B660. Nothing offense, just saying...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2015
  7. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

I'm plainly worried that it will waste half a day of my time to get everything running under x64 (need newer plugins and stuff, need to redo .plr file... ) just to then find that some older mods might be broken (there were reports of trackside objects not showing when some GMT format was changed so suddenly Nords had no trees...) just to maybe see some issue on the URD cars (some reports on them also having problems), and then to read reports on current screenshots thread that newest builds (the one before today) causes mirrors to be unusable and in-car cockpits to be too light or dark.

Also the "Minimalist UI" I'm using and loving hasn't been updated for the new GUI features. So I'd have to go back to the ugly standard UI???

That's the problem I had with RF2 since about B228 - any new release would frequently destroy something while fixing/improving something else. If the forum is to be believed then this hasn't changed, and there's no B910 exclusive content I really need to run.

If someone can alievate those fears for me I'd be more than happy to try a new release... but it sounds like lots of headache for little gain.

So to answer my own question: Sounds like the new Silverstone needs the new shaders then?

8. speed1

speed1 Banned

Lite install, works so far, thx and a happy new year. ;)

9. MarcG

MarcG Registered

As above the simple idea is to install a seperate B910 and see for yourself.
    As someone with a 64-bit machine I've not had any of those issues you've mentioned above (URD is just fine). The only thing is the UI, get onto the Author and ask him too update is all you can do with regards to that.

10. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I agree that the "half day" syndrome and cascading updates required is a real pain. However, I think that sticking to an old build is a big mistake (as others have elaborated above). You should enjoy the latest advancements, slow as they are to come, and just accept that using rF2 entails this chaotic update process. Doesn't seem like there is any way to avoid it, but in your case I would wait a few days to see if there are any show-stoppers. As far as I know, any content that is being paid attention to gets updated correspondingly. So it's only orphaned mods that might get broken by an update that you really have to be concerned about.

11. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Honest question, not trying to rile you up: What features would you say are really improved since B660?

I read all the build notes, and the major thing I understood were new grass shaders (only available on two or three tracks), better memory usage (not a problem for me) and an improvement on HDR balance (but at the same time removing the ability to run custom profiles, which I do for some cars otherwise the windows are too reflective).

Has there been any significant update in driving/tires/AI that I would benefit from strictly offline? I think there's something easier about AI Setups/Upgrade level now which sounded a bit interesting. Otherwise I'm happy with GFX and performance.

12. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I guess you may want to just decide based on time--like once per year you will be willing to go through the half day process. You will never avoid it during an update, and with half the updates not documented, you will never know what you are missing. On the contrary, the AI set-up/upgrade you mentioned is not ready for prime time, so you would likely be disappointed if you upgraded to get that. It's chaos. It's not logical. Half the features are half implemented. Some updated content requires the latest build, some does not. It's ISI/rF2 style. That's about all I can say.

13. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Thanks Marc for your feedback. That was my thinking, to wait for some major feature or content I really want (and which is reported working well) and then doing the dance once more. The problem to me is there is no "simple B910" install as testing all the collected mods for faults simple is a tiresome process any way you cut it.

Sorry for the thread derailment.

14. MarcG

MarcG Registered

again the simple answer is to do a seperate B910 install and see for yourself, we can give you opinions on the Builds as much as we like but at the end of the day it's you that's going to play the game your way so we can't tell you what to expect really.

Plus why are tyou testing for faults? just play the game and if faults occur then notify ISI or the Mod Team responsible, you will be left behind if you stay on older Builds especially when the new Tire Contact Patch comes into full effect along with the Gen6 cars...your call though.

..and LOL at Marcs "half day process" quote, way to overdramatise it! I've got all sorts of crap to install when I do a Fresh Buil install and it takes no more than 15minutes!

15. McFlex

McFlex Registered

That is just wrong!!!

16. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

What will I have to drive if I do a "separate B910" install?

I need to import my favorite tracks and cars so I could see a difference, no?

And then I need to test all my mods before deciding to stick with this or that version... because I do not want to delete the duplicate "old" B660 install and then find out five days later that one of my favorite cars and tracks is not working or looking crap.

It was easier before the JSON and x64 update because you could just remove the "CORE" folder from the game dir, install the new one and test with easy rollback. Going from B660 to current is more involved.

Anyway, if you think I'm being left behind then I'm still honestly asking what kind of feature I'm currently missing. It does seem a bit "update because...update!" logic applied here as I re-checked build notes and I can't see anything proper major but instead a few new bugs reported.

As much as I love RF2, it's just too tiresome to find out your favorite stuff doesn't work anymore after some updates. And many of those cars and hard-found tracks don't get regular updates.

17. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

So HDP files are still supported?

18. MarcG

MarcG Registered

each to their own then, you've obviously made your mind up, good luck.

19. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

I'm sorry Marc, but if you were trying to convince me then naming a few features I'm currently missing would have gone a long way...

20. MarcG

MarcG Registered

how about latest Builds fixing bugs you're worried about? how about just trying it out for yourself? which you could've done by now easily enough and made your own mind up! You don't need to replicate your entire other installation, just a couple of mods and tracks would suffice.

I'm not gonna waste anymore of my time trying to convince you as it seems you're very set in your ways :)