2014 Race Department RF2 Awards.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by David O'Reilly, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Yep, this is the major complain (as i feel) but they don`t get this...

2. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

Its dealt with in the second last paragraph.

I'm sorry but when people come here and post "they must have been drinking" or similar as a tribute to our work they lose their right to have any and all of their questions and concerns taken seriously.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2015
  3. Eduard Mallorquí

Eduard Mallorquí Banned

I was never referring to Morgan's nomination, but this answer already says a lot about the knowledge you have about FSR...

4. Xavier De Carvalho

Xavier De Carvalho Registered

In Dino's defense, the nomination was not for his FSR endeavours, but for his endeavours within the RD FR 3.5 league. He was the reigning champion at the time of his nomination AFAIK.

So although he wasn't successful within FSR, he was successful within RD leagues. Hence the nomination.

5. Eduard Mallorquí

Eduard Mallorquí Banned

I see, though, I never said this was Dino's fault. But to forget a 5th time champion of FSR in the nominations lists just feels quite wrong.

6. Xavier De Carvalho

Xavier De Carvalho Registered

The votes and nominations were done by the RD rF2 community. If someone didn't appear on the list, it was because he/she wasn't nominated. :) It was a surprise to see that the 5 time WC wasn't nominated by someone from within FSR, but Morgan was.

7. Eduard Mallorquí

Eduard Mallorquí Banned

Then maybe its more a popularity contest :p

8. stonec

stonec Registered

RD gets hundreds of uploads daily, it would be impossible to verify source of all content. For example many of the Racefactor F1 tracks are from other simulators, but they have changed so much over time it's impossible to say which game some of them are from. Imo the only sensible policy is that which RD now applies, which states:

If you believe your copyright-protected work was posted on RaceDepartment without authorization, you may submit a copyright infringement notification. These requests should only be submitted by the copyright owner or an agent authorized to act on the owner’s behalf. The fastest and easiest way to notify RaceDepartment of alleged copyright infringement is to either use the “report” button, located under each forum post or resource file, or contact us directly via email.

9. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

No it isn't. Telling someone to run their own contest doesn't absolve your site of blame for promoting illegal ripped mods.

And drinking is the only excuse why a rather unpolished stolen conversion is allowed to score higher than a medicuoisly detailed scratch-made effort.

Why don't you openly admit that RD has no ethical qualms about ripped content? Your DL section is full of it, the polls just show the community this generates.

I could care less about the big-money studios behind the original works, but it is a kick in the guts for every honest modder to have their work rated lower than cheaply stolen stuff. Sadly, indeed, it reflects on a community which prefers half-polished quantity over shining quality.

And the promotional dis-value of all those RF2 youtube videos showing badly converted cars on badly converted tracks can hardly be overestimated.

10. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

Edit: Nevermind...:D

11. stonec

stonec Registered

I think you are over-exaggerating, ripped off content is probably something like 0.1% of the total content listed on RD, much has been removed as well by request.

Why do you assume "ripped" equals unpolished? There is a lot of work required to do a good conversion of a track to rF2 (lighting, realroad, performance, etc). Nordschleife is using very old and bumpy (in the wrong way) track mesh, one could call it unpolished as well in that sense.

Anyway, track modding with rF2 is more or less dead. There are only a couple of major projects involving tracks from scratch, rest are conversions from some other game. Without ripped tracks the few serious leagues using rF2 would already be dead (for example VEC endurance league at this very moment is racing 12H on Spa which is based on certain other company's track). My point is, these tracks take absolutely nothing away from legal tracks, there is simply no competition at the moment.

12. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

Only a judge has the power to declare a "mod" content officially illegal.

Even scratch build content can be claimed by copy right owners. (ASR F1 1992)
    Only a complete fantasy car, with scratch/fantasy or licensed sounds, textures, logo's, names, etc is a legal one.
    The URD mod, that contains scratch build 3D models of the real cars can be claimed by it's copy right owners.

The RD download section uses the same principles like youtube and other resource sites:
    Everyone can upload a resource in public in the RD Download section. YOU and everybody can report content being used.
    Copyright owners can claim there rights and the content will be removed.

RD is not the judge to decide what's illegal.

The system is simple:
    It's up to the community to report content being unethical. (via e-mail, report button, forum message.)
    It's up to the copyright owners to claim their rights.

13. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Since someone bumped that topic...

1) The first page (of three) in RF2 Track download section at RD is mostly ripped content. It's fairly easy to see where all the 2013 F1 tracks come from. I have a good idea where Imola and Magny Cours are from. 0.1% for sure it isn't.

2) If I look at stuff like BES, is that still cockpits where the wheel moves but the hands are static? I look at most track conversions from Codemaster F1, they have no animated marshalls, sometimes no realroad, bad AIW, sometimes even no Crowd.

I've rarely seen legally converted content (RF1 ports) that aren't done with a bit more "heart".

Gijs, you are right if you are talking about copyright. Formula One or GTE Cars can be claimed by the real teams for their likeness. However, I was speaking of illegal conversions. A modder who makes the effort to build a car from scratch certainly deserves more credit than someone taking work from someone else and repurposing it. They might both be violating IP, but one of them is also ripping off other people's work.

And while I understand that a public download site can't be governed (or they would need a full-time guy) there's a difference between offering an illegal download and promoting it in an award. In truth many websites (just like Youtube) are exploiting this grey area because they know copyright holders can't be everywhere, so for the time being the ripped content polsters their visitor count.

14. Domi

Domi Registered

And you only need one eye and a bit of simracing experience to know what stuff is ripped and what isn't, specially the obvious ones.

That is absolutelly irrelevant when giving this kind of "awards", one thing is having no rights to use real brands, liveries etc, and another thing having no rights to use a car because it has been ilegally ported without permission from another game. In the first one, the work is done from scratch, in the second one, no, and that is really discouraging for the guys who are real content creators... the moderators should have been more careful when doing those lists; I understand that you can't control thousands of items from the downloads section, but when you are organizing these awards thing you must be sure if you don't want to look like a fool.