2014 Race Department RF2 Awards.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by David O'Reilly, Jan 2, 2015.

1. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

" The 2014 Blurries-The Race Department RFactor 2 Commmunity Awards"
    Its New Years Eve and we are thrilled to be here at the the stunning grand ballroom of the Hotel Fairmont at Monaco to see the glittering Race Department RFactor 2, 2014 Awards ceremony.
    Race Departments motto is blurring the lines between real and virtual motor-sport.
    Because of this and the fact that this seasons physical trophies are quite hard to make out on camera they have been nicknamed “The Blurries”.

The community has been voting for 12 days on a list of nominees created by community and staff. Further nominations were accepted during the voting process.
    The results are in.

To get us started, to hand out the Blurry for Best Virtual Journalist .is none other than Murray Walker.
    The nominations are; Daiman Patel, Tristan Clark, Martin O'Brundle, David O'Reilly.
    Open the envelope please. The winner is Martin O'Brundle.

Presenting the Blurry for. Best “Other” Mod is @Daiman Patel.

The nominations are; Trackmap by Fazerbox, Motec Plugin by Lazza, Minimalist HD UI by David Dominguez.

Daiman Open the envelope please. The winner is Trackmap by Fazerbox

Presenting the Blurry for Best Non ISI car is @Frank van Oeveren
    The nominations are; WSGT Megane, Ferrari 458 Challenge Stradale, BES 1.0 GT3 by Petra GTC, URD DT5, Mazda 787B by Makcorp, URD EGT.

In the closest fought outcome of the awards the voting was tied between BES 1.0 GT3 by Petra GTC and URD EGT. Honorable mentions go to ASRs 1991 Ferrari 643 and Ferrari 458 Challenge which were both tied on one point less than the joint winners.

Our guest presenting the Blurry for Best Non ISI Track is @Dennis Coufal. The nominations are; Croft, Nordschleife by DJC, Tosch et al., Mid Ohio by Virtua LM, FSR COTA, FSR Suzuka by JES.

After a close tussle with Nordschleife by DJC, Tosch et al The winner is Mid Ohio by Virtua LM.

Presenting the Blurry for Best ISI Car is @Xavier de Carvalho. The nominations are; Megane, Formula Renault 3.5 2014, Nissan GTR GT1, Corvette C6R GT2

The winner is Corvette C6R GT2

Presenter for Best ISI Track is @Simon Christmann. The nominations are; Silverstone, Sao Paulo, Tigermoth Aerodrome.

The winner is Silverstone,

Presenters for Most Improved Driver; Blurry is the Endurance racing team of MC Racing-Christiam Michel and Simon Christman.The nominations are; Gijs van Eldren, Jason Skyring, Yuri Kasdorp, Dino Paolini, Martin Bulgin. James Maskell.

The winner is @Yuri Kasdorp

Presenter of Best Endurance Racer award is Gij van Elderen. The nominations are; Christian Michel, Aleksi Kivela, April Dillon, TXL Racing LMP "A team". Team MC Racing: Simon Christman and Christian Michel.

The winners are Team MC Racing: @Simon Christmann and Christian Michel.

Presenter of Best Sprint Racer award is Xavier Carvallo. The nominations are; Oscar Hardwick, Aleksi Kivela, Frederic Schornstein, Miroslav Davidovic, Dino Paolini, Morgan Morand, Jimi Hughes, Hany Alsabti.

The winner is @Morgan Morand

So there we have it the Race Department RF2 2014 awards. I'm sure you join us in congratulating not only the winners of a prestigious "Blurry" but also all the nominees who were supported this year.

Have a happy New Year.

2. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

They must have been drinking...

3. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

+1

and all others, who did a lot of usefull Tools for rF2 (Noel Hibbard, B1ker and many more...)

However, Fazerbox is a more than worthy winner of this category ;-)

4. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

How they are not differentiating between an illegal conversion and a scratch-build mod is beyond me...

5. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

Had some wonderful races with Simon Christmann. A very talented sim racer. Congrats Simon :)

6. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

+1

This is my problem, too...

7. David O'Reilly

Guys chill out.
    It was Race Department community, it was democratic.
    Feel free to do your own. I just thought someone might be interested.
    Next time I wont bother.

8. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Fair enough, but then these awards have no "weight" in any meaningful sense. Not very encouraging to hard-working modders if it's easier to get praised for stolen content.

9. David O'Reilly

if they have no "weight" then feel free to ignore them.
    To us at RD they capped of a good year of RF2 and are "meaningful" to us. Possibly just informative to others.

Democratic means the people have spoken. Its a bit like arguing an election result is wrong.

Yes its just one little communities thoughts that I chose to post to entertain and inform the wider ISI community.
    Its what that community thought at that point.

Personally I would have wanted Nordschleife to win but thats not democratic is it.
    Regarding the complaint that not every one was credited with his work. They were nominated, not a winner. If we named every person that contributed to every mod that ws nominated it would be a bit long. The mod itself credits quite nicely all its origins.

One post even criticised the drivers who won! So who is faster than Morgan Morand then? Is beating Bono Huis in FSR on pace not enough?
    another post managed to criticise the poll (best other mod) while still agreeing with it. Amazing stuff.

10. Eduard Mallorquí

Eduard Mallorquí Banned

With all due respect but you need some big balls to not include Bono Huis, current FSR WC champion, and at the same time nominate someone who scored 0 points racing all the races from the same league.

11. stonec

stonec Registered

Stolen or not, fact is that most of the popular content for rF2 is not original. Very little original tracks are made anymore, Nordschleife is equally based on someone else's version to begin with.

12. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

What??? Nordschleife Tourist for rF2 is a conversion from rF1 with full permission of the original creator/s. "Based on someone else" and "ripped & stolen", is (from my point of view) a very different story!

13. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Yes, exactly. In my opinion large gaming websites carry also an ethical obligation. Promoting content ripped with no permission from other games, while downplaying scratchbuilt or legal-converted stuff makes the community look bad. URD and ASR is highest quality scratch built stuff.

As for tracks, while I love MidOhio myself there is no way the scope of that project can compare with the 24h Nords layout.

14. stonec

stonec Registered

What I meant is from workload perspective it's exactly the same modding process, it's simply matter of whether you got permission or not. I can only spot one "illegal" track in the RD nominee list, and that track originates from certain big company who doesn't care a damn about their content. RD policy is to not remove content unless requested by owner.

15. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Disagree. Turning a low-poly RF1track into modern standard with high poly roadmesh, high poly TSOs will always be more effort than working from a high-poly rip of a current-gen big budget title.

Compare how RF1 car models look vs how a Grid or Forza model looks.

16. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

OK.

17. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

+1

No Lola and Longford.

Don't need to "chill out"

Does not bother me the slightest either way, but he posted it, at least let people have their say without debating them hey. ;)

18. Xavier De Carvalho

Xavier De Carvalho Registered

Hey, that guy's name is almost the same as mine! :)

To be fair, I'm not sure why Morgan was even considered. Bono and Morgan were never a part of any RD leagues directly, which is what these awards were for. They're both brilliant drivers, and would be at the top of the list for open wheel drivers within simracing as a whole, but they don't belong on a list which was meant to include those who participated in RD leagues or club races.

19. David O'Reilly

So you maintain that Morgan never beat Bono and ssored 0 points. is that your position? I just want to be clear on that.
    Because from where I sat the brilliant Bono came out on top in RF1 on pace but on transition to RF2 Morgan had the edge on pace. He narrowly missed taking the FSR title after an error of judgment in Japan and hitting the limiter twice at the final in COTA.
    This might explain why more people voted for him than any other nominated driver. Go figure.

As to the awards themselves.
    They werent called the "International one and only R Factor 2 awards for exellence in original content". They werent' called RD RF2 Club racing awards or the RD RF2 League Racing awards but were actually called "The Race Department RFactor 2 Commmunity Awards".

as to eligibility: If I can message Morgan within our community and discuss him joining a League race in FR 3.5 as a Guest and have a conversation with him. If FSR is housed within RD in my judgement he is part of the wider RD communityn and therefore eligible. and he won the vote

So in conclusion.
    The community voted on what they thought were the best in each category. The item with the most votes won.
    If you disagree or have a differing view thats fine, really it is. However its just not intelligent to say its wrong. You can say "I would have voted for XXX" and your single vote would have gone to XXX. As a democratic vote it is intrinsically what it is. The opinion of the majority of that community. I mean I would not personally elect Putin but I cant really say the Russian people are wrong to do so.

So to the purists who decry content that was not scratch built I simply say, go run your own. Really, just do it. No one is stopping ppl from running such an award and it would be nice. But its not what this was.

Oh and compliments to Durge, you post was while disagreeing with mine was definitely the most diplomatic Ive seen from you in ages. Good job. Wehavent driven Longford which would explain it. I have driven the Lola plenty and I like it. Its an amazing car to tame and not easy but its not a nomination in the view of the majority of our community that is. We werent drinking and to say we were is just insulting. So Ill bow out of this conversation now and be wiser for it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2015
  20. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

You failed to adress the point about a major website promoting illegal ripped content.