Another great modding team is switching from rfactor to AC!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GTClub_wajdi, Jan 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Indeed too much gfx bling and gloss comes at a very high expense for a lot of people. Which is what makes me wonder why a sim developer would put so much effort into making a sim look good instead of making it feel good.

2. Golanv

Golanv Registered

You kids these days say the darndest things. (If your first thought and intented comeback will be age related proving you're high in years, please don't... it just makes it worse and just that much more sad.)

Wonder what turned so many here so bitter and hateful. I actually remember interesting people with interesting topics that could talk about other franchises without these hissy fits and this penis measuring contest.
    Last time witnessed this kind of ignorance, hostility and misinformation was at my neighbours sandbox 30 years ago, when rest of the kids were convinced that my grandfather would kill them if we go to his yard.

Recommendation: Read this thread again in 3 years, and learn something about your selves. It's like a hangover, but sometimes it's worth it.

3. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I find your interest in my non-interest interesting. Lol :D

No but seriously, as a little parallel, I used to be quite vocal about AC's force feedback on its forum. I found it pretty awful right from day one of early access and couldn't believe the way it felt. After a while, and after realising that the feeling wasn't going to change to my liking, I simply had to bite the bullet and accept it. Two years later I'm not still pestering devs and users with my dissatisfaction, because well, that's just how it is. I let my view on the matter be known and that was that. I'm not delusional, I don't think I alone can change the devs' direction or priorities. So that's that.

I am also a paying customer over there, but I can get over that, because the majority of AC users are satisfied with the feeling. I took a chance paying for that sim, and I'm glad I did, even though I quite dislike it.

4. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

At least you and me can agree about this mate, AC has good gfx but rest is piece of ****.:)

5. Eduard Mallorquí

Eduard Mallorquí Banned

The thing is rF2 expense is already quite high and at the top of that graphics are not great, so it's pretty disappointing.

Doesn't rFactor2 already feel good at this state? I find FFB and physics quite advanced compared to the competence so, why don't focus some effort on those areas rF2 is some steps behind? At the end graphics bring a more immersive experience and it's something that could help rF2 to attract more people to get involved in simracing.

Sometimes I have the feeling some people want to build some kind of wall so nobody gets interested in this game.

6. Avo1977

Avo1977 Registered

Successfully... :D

7. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

The problem is that I just do not see that rF2 is lacking gfx quality compared to other sims, I really really dont. To me it looks stunning and completely immersive.

Sure there are little things here and there that could be improved, but that's no different from the other available sims. AC isn't perfect graphically. Neither is pCARS or iRacing. R3E and GSCE neither.

It's has become some sort of band wagon thing to diss rF2 because of its graphics, even though there really isn't all that much to diss compared to the other sims. To me it's just a matter of rF2 having a different visual style than other sims. And it is different. But worse? Not a chance, you can't objectively and factually state that it's worse. It's a matter of taste sure, but that's like movies or music and so on.

Again I'm not saying it's perfect and development should stop here and now. But saying it looks like a sim from ten years ago is simply too much. I get that it's hip to say that rF2 looks like garbage, because many are saying that. Doesn't mean it's the truth though. :D

8. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

It sure CAN look stunning and immersive for experienced users who set the whole thing up to hit the sweetspot which is early morning or evening and the right track. But whats the point of having 24 hour environment, changing weather etc when it doesnt look good other than the times mentioned? And also at night lately to be fair. All I ever see in the screenshots and video forums are at sunrise or sunset.

Imagine a new user (btw look in the general forum theres a new user wondering about graphics) taking a drive at portugal at noon with changeable weather. First it looks completely flat and boring at noon in the sunshine, then suddenly he has no grip because the track is wet. He cant see it yet and there hasnt been any rain. Oh now the rain comes - whoops I thought I had a windscreen but apparantly not because its raining inside my cockpit.

Now imagine he wants to play a little online - dont even get me started about that :D

9. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Real life also looks boring and flat a lot of the time... In fact most of the time.
    I don't expect my racing to look stunning and extraordinary all the time.

But that's just me I guess. ;)

10. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

I think you know what I mean :p

11. Led566

Led566 Registered

Maybe because it's the only way to model a McPherson struts in rF2 engine?
    Of course you know by the engineering books you have thoroughly studied that the McPherson struts is a particular case of double wishbone...
    I would be more preoccupied for the semi trailing model used for the DRM Porsche.

12. Emery

Emery Registered

Ah, but Ari, I haven't been spamming you yet neither have you answered MY question about what which product you believe to be up to the standard of "many modders"? Is there any moddable product that does meet those standards?

13. stonec

stonec Registered

The difference is, the "little things" with rF2 are glaring issues that everyone can spot, that's why we get a new thread about graphics complaints everyday. AC, pCars and iRacing are all "close to perfection" in graphics when compared to rF2. iRacing manages to squeeze everything out of their old engine to produce a very realistic look. pCars is the leading sim in graphics, AC isn't much behind. AC in particular improved a lot from beta to 1.0, lighting is near perfect now. I can't now think of anything obvious that is wrong with any of the other sims, the list would be very short even if I tried. Of course they are not perfect, but on level with rF2 those remaining issues are not noticeable.

With rF2, immediately first lap on the new Lime Rock one can find several odd things, most obvious are some flickering trees, running fence shadows, jaggy shadows, etc. This is how LRP shadows look on the default settings that the sim suggests (shadows=high) screen1 screen2. These kind of jaggy shadows is what I last time saw 10 years ago when I played Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow (poor consolish port to PC).

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2015
  14. vali

vali Registered

None of them are perfect IMHO. Yes, rFactor 2 graphics are not shiny and I think they need a bit of tweaking with the palette and HDR. The UI (the current one) feels old and low res and the matchmaker needs more filters.

On the other hand in AC I can't engage a gear before the race start, the slowdown penalty is ridiculous and bad implemented (someone pushes you out, you get penlized), I feel lag in the FFB and then there are those missing things like refueling... Then, there is the AI.

Then, there is Project Cars wich, I have to admit, I hated the handling at first. Fortunately they solved this and the current physics are quite good. I mean, they are not redefining the genre like some fanboys want us to think, but they are not arcade either. It's fun, the input feeling is instant like ISI sims, the AI is quite good in some track/car combos and it is surprisingly smooth. Then, there is the 30 seconds rule wich ends the race after the winner crossed the finish line and the labyrinth of menus to setup the car (for example, last time I tried, if you wante to change the setup in trial mode, you hade to exit, go to the garage, find the car, change setup, save, and reload again the car and track), you can only have one setup per track and car... It is still not finished and will not be moddable but, for me, it is immersive and fun to race. Right now it lacks a lot of things to make an organized race weekend but I think it is great for quick races.

I don't know how many hours spent with rFactor, but with the other two I have 2.5 times the hours in Project Cars than in AC. For me it says a lot.

Another thing a lot of people forget is most of the new players use a controller and not a wheel. Having the best FFB is then out of the equation. Finally, there is a thing I don't understand: someone pointed the AI as a con in rFactor. Care to explain? (please, don't try to convice us that AC AI is better).

15. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

The funny thing is that AC doesn't have near 'perfect' graphics, not even close. Sure it's really really good, looking objectively at it, but there are loads of flaws there too. Only thing is, just like it's trendy to say rF2 gfx blows, it's just as trendy to say that AC gfx is perfect. Which it isnt. :)

16. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I never understood people think rF2 graphics is inferior.

Have a good look a round the web at the best rF2 screenshots.

They are no less then stunning imho.

all that POLY WAFFLE by someone that all simmers are either graphics or physics people

what BS lmao

17. Eduard Mallorquí

Eduard Mallorquí Banned

I remember looking for good HD screenshots of rF2 to place in the background of the minimalist UI. I had to go through every post of this forum and it was quite hard to find good unedited screenshots, at the end I think I ended up using edited screenshots because it was pretty impossible to find something decent from the unedited screenshots thread.

18. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I haven't been asked about security in-place or planned, but that doesn't mean they didn't communicate with anyone else. If someone did have questions about it, the contact page on our site would be the way to contact. I have the MAS encryption tool and do about 1 piece of content every fortnight, but usually those are commercially used (at trade shows, etc, and they don't want the hardware provider to be able to steal their content work).

19. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Guys, you do not have to agree with each other (it would be pretty boring on this planet if everyone did), but you do have to accept that others disagree with your point of view and can't really believe what you're saying - because they don't feel how you feel, and it feels impossible to them to feel like you do. When you then post about your disagreement, you have to be way more civil than you're currently being with each other.

There is a language barrier issue causing a lot of post reports to come out of this thread right now. There's a couple of people stating what they perceive as fact, and it comes across in English (not their native language) as negatively worded.

It doesn't really seem like some of you are capable of empathizing with the views of others. It also doesn't seem like some of you can express those views in a way that comes across well enough in English for it to be properly received. I'm closing this thread, and I hope that in the next one (because there will be one), my post here helps to make it a more useful discussion, because this isn't (anymore).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.