Another great modding team is switching from rfactor to AC!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GTClub_wajdi, Jan 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eduard Mallorquí

Eduard Mallorquí Banned

It's not my problem when other games look better and have less performance hit, ISI's graphic engine it's just mess up. For example, iRacing offers a very good graphics and I barely have such a performance hit. AC needs more machine but at least offers great graphics and it doesn't hurt your eyes when you turn them down. GSC looks lovely and performance is very good. And at the end there is rF2 which is the most heavy of all and offers the worse graphics, and honestly I cannot spot any evolution since I bought the game. Maybe I'm just blind like someone already said or maybe you don't need eyes to drive rF2.

2. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

While I kind of agree, in part, on the newer circuits your framerate can take a total nosedive. Mine does as I turn round T1 and down the hill at CoTA. I also take in to consideration that literally nothing on iRacing is graphically dynamic. I understand the average sim racer doesn't care about such things but surely this has to be at least partly to blame for any perceived performance hit here on rFactor 2?

With my system I need to turn certain settings down on all the (apart from GSC) sims you mention. Here, iRacing and on AC running triples and a GTX 780. I don't turn anything more down here than I do anywhere else and my experience was comparable. Same when I had my GTX 660.....

3. stonec

stonec Registered

Improvement is mainly in track modelling, graphics engine hasn't progressed much, in some points even gone worse as Eduard said. There are still issues with running shadows, jagged shadows etc. Lighting also looks very bland compared to some early builds

View attachment 15371 View attachment 15372

4. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Anyone have a comparison from an early build with the same lighting conditions?

5. Domi

Domi Registered

I did a race @ COTA few days ago, after spending countless months without trying iRacing, and the framerate was perfect, with high settings, never under 100fps... in rF2 to achieve that framerate I'd need to drop settings down until it looks like a 2000 game.

6. Valter Cardoso

Valter Cardoso Registered

Constructive?

AC is a piece of crap, too far from what kunos delivered with KNP. Its a bunch of unfinished things, most of them focused on appearance more than on physics, essentials, etc.
    As it is a marvellous-graphics-objective game it focus on a particular user which prefer a nice screenshot than a full flag system for instance.
    That said, some modding teams are going the same way, they are choosing the exposure instead of a good and close-to-reality mod.
    This is why i dont like AC world.....thats a diferent aproach to simracing which in my opinion and if more follow, will tend to transform this little niche in something worst, focused on great looking photos on facebook and twitter.
    Just look around simracing news sites and check for any information on tires, suspensions, etc. You will find a bunch of wip photos with zero mention to the important things.
    Yes, i could be called arrogant cause i like rf2 most but that dont change the way i feel about actual simracing scene and this so called modding teams.

When people open a thread about something is expected some to have diferent opinions.....dont get too excited replying to mines, leave me with my arrogance.

7. stonec

stonec Registered

The screenshots above are what I took before holidays, I'm quite sure I put 10 AM for both builds. It's the most obvious example of what has changed in lighting. I don't have build 49 installed anymore, it was a bit difficult to find comparable tracks and conditions since some newer content didn't work.

Edit: From shadow of car one can judge that those have about same sun elevation.

8. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Fair enough mate. Wasn't having a dig. One just looked to have some clouds, the other didn't. When I make my videos that can make things look vastly different is all :) Could tell it was same time of day because of the shadows :D

9. Avo1977

Avo1977 Registered

Wow, what a difference. First photo is undoubtedly better...

10. Avo1977

Avo1977 Registered

I can guarantee that there are a lot of AC users interested in driving dynamics and accurate physics modding with in-depth knowledge about car design and race driving.

In fact, using the right numbers, the models are responding quite well with an accurate reproduction of real telemetry data (you'll see something on this topic in the next months).

I'm really curious to compare SimAnnuk Nsx conversion to AC, 'cause it has been developed by great developers on both platforms and is based on the same data (Neil's rf1 physics) and this can represent a good benchmark for the two simulation engines.

11. stonec

stonec Registered

Yep, looks like there is clouds but there isn't, pretty much sums up current rF2 daytime lighting. Another old comparison I found: View attachment 15373 View attachment 15374

12. Led566

Led566 Registered

C'mon ... different hour of the day, probably different time of the year, different Sun position, not even the same position of camera relative to subject...
    It's 3 years now and people still don't understand the rF2 lighting system.

13. Domi

Domi Registered

Neither ISI it seems.

14. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

looks like someone turned the sun to half brightness and got rid of all reflections.

15. Marco Bijl

Marco Bijl Registered

So you are saying I responded arrogant, aggressive, and have an overall anti-rf2 mindset?
    Nice way to start 2015, with a blunt lie...

16. Avo1977

Avo1977 Registered

Ahhh... So it's legit to look like a game from 6 years ago in some days, angles and times.

Great achievement.

17. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Wow all the gfx obsessed people really came out to play in this thread, didn't they? Lol :D

18. Marco Bijl

Marco Bijl Registered

The PM in question...

And then we talked a bit more about being an admin. I am sorry, but I really hate it when the truth is twisted…..
    I am a supporter of rf2 since day 1, and have pushed and promoted it, using Racedepartment as a tool to do so. Accusing me (or anyone of the current rf2 staff for that matter) of being anti-supporting is simply Bull****. (pardon my French)

19. yusupov

yusupov Registered

i just woke up from a nap so havent read the past 5+ pages, but there would certainly be a reason for that. i distinctly recall an ISR piece by william marsh where he interviewed a couple major teams (don't recall if this was one of them) & one very clearly said they liked rf2 physics better but were leaning AC because its a better showcase.

i dont really fault anyone for that. how many rf2 owners want ISI to focus on graphics as opposed to content?? its a small enough team that i imagine there must be some tradeoff, maybe quite significant. i dont fault skilled 3D modders for wanting to make a career of their passion & talent. i dont fault AC for being shiny & i dont even really fault people who buy it bc it is, as i dont see these kinds of ppl putting up w/ a pCARS-level graphical fidelity rf2 for very long anyway.

rich, if you see this, ive noticed your rf2 vids always look stellar. do you have a 'secret formula' ToD & weather? re the above comparison, i feel like the one to the right is accurate of my experience w/ rf2. it really doesnt look what id consider bad, but even when it looks great, it rarely has the natural look of the first pic.

20. Superdevil

Superdevil Registered

Well, apparently it's legit to release a game like AC that has the same technology of a 6 year old game,
    bringing nothing new to the genre except for pretty graphics... so why not?

See, I'd say stuff like Realroad Dynamic Track surface, Dynamic weather and sky, 24 hour clock, animated marshals, PIT STOPS... those are great achievements.
    Some would say pretty screen shots and a dozen Licensed Lotus (Loti?) are a great achievement.
    To each their own I guess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.