Another great modding team is switching from rfactor to AC!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GTClub_wajdi, Jan 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matf1

matf1 Registered

Agreed, that's how I read it too.

I've had a go at some of this content, admittedly this is prior to being educated on the matter. You tend to do a few laps before you realise that everything is flat, it doesn't 'feel' like rF2. Its quick and dirty work without skill or understanding and in most cases you'll be better of using it on the platform it was designed for... IMO.

*So why isn't AC content in rF2?
    The people capable of the work have ethics and the convertors don't have the skill. This would be my guess.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
  2. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

They go there looking at making a move and come back or at least change priorities. I think you're sort of splitting hairs though. Drivers for sure go over there, get bored and come back... You see people saying that all the time. I personally gave it a shot.. several times and it's just not for me. Mainly because I am a league racer and the sim clearly isn't ready for league use. Not even close. I'm not even going to discuss the physics as that is very subjective and you get into the same old, if it's easy for me to drive it must be realistic argument. Really AC shouldn't even be compared to rF2 or even rF1 for that matter.

3. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Ah yes, I just reread his post and I think you're right. But there is a fair bit of ripped content in rF2 too. Hard to really say the rF2 community is more ethical then the rF1 community because they are mostly the same people. Also rF1 is 10 years old so clearly it will have more ripped content than rF2. Also rF2 has way more quality content then rF1 did in the same timeframe. So ripped crap content stands out like a sore thumb. Which goes back to my point about starting over. rF2 has quality content already because a lot of the knowledge base comes from rF1. Why throw all this away to switch to a sim that is lacking in so many areas?

4. Avo1977

Avo1977 Registered

I already explained why.

Compared to AC, rF2 is negligible in terms of 'audience' and, for the most part if experienced of sim-drivers (I'm not talking about bimbos or simcade lovers here) is as much as realistic.

5. Domi

Domi Registered

I don't know, I don't have particulary that impression. I barely know any friend that drives rF2 for fun, but many that drive AC (and almost all my simracing friends are guys racing in FSR WC and iRacing WCS, so not exactly noobs). Not everybody needs 24h races, driver swaps or safety cars to enjoy online racing. Surely there are guys that went to AC and came back to rF2, I don't want to deny that, like there are guys who uninstalled rF2 long time ago and won't come back.

6. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Hmm.. we have no problem with audience in our league. Our league has a 40 car field cap with 75 teams signed up and fighting to make the cut in qualifying. Anything like that in AC? Oh wait, isn't AC limited to a 25 car field? Does AC even have any leagues yet or is it still just a pickup racing crash fest?

7. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

This is very true and Ac fans can always take the laptop down to the beach to experience flag rules :eek::)

8. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Or those that claim they uninstalled rF2 but are back the next day. :)

I agree, not everyone needs 24 hour races, dynamic track, dynamic lighting, weather, driver swaps, rejoin capabilities or auto downloading content. But surely a real race at least needs proper pit stops, flag rules, large field sizes and at the server side you would want results output and some server commands for managing the server. AC just isn't ready for primetime. Maybe one day but again, comparing AC to rF is like comparing apples to oranges.

9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

The DRM guys are not a business/company. They don't make sales. They don't make money based off of how many people download the AC-specific version of their mod...So therefore I can't think of any reason why they would be against someone converting their RF1 version or their future AC version to RF2. It doesn't affect them in any way - there are no sales or dollars to be lost, however what IS gained is more people enjoying themselves with a smile on their face playing with amazing cars :) . I can't see any reason why any modding group would be against other people enjoying the passion we all share for racing amazing cars on different sim-games, (again, unless it affects their sales/finances which isn't the case 99% of the time since most of these mods are made simply from passionate people as a hobby, not as a business/means of income).

Put it simply, convert it and improve and optimize that RF1/AC convert for RF2. I don't see what the problem is here, there are easily enough modders with the talent/know-how and enthusiasm to get this done. Plus, even a lazy "drag-n-drop" convert of an RF1/AC mod would I'm sure still be pretty good and most likely better than it's RF1 counterpart (let alone one that's been optimized for rF2).

There's no problem here - not from the DRM guys', the players', other modders', or converters' point of view.

10. Domi

Domi Registered

Well, funny thing is that your comment gave me the idea to check RaceDepartment club events to have a picture of the online status of both games.

rF2 GTs @ Nordschleife (race was today) on EU timezone: 10 drivers in the signup list
    AC GTs @ Nordschleife (scheduled for tomorrow) on EU timezone: 32 drivers (26 + 6 on reserve list)
    AC Ruf @ Donington (scheduled for tomorrow) on aussie timezone: 15 drivers

11. Avo1977

Avo1977 Registered

I never said AC is a better platform, I really think is the opposite.

Sadly for several comprehensible reasons (graphics, hardware requirements, lack of 'mainstream' content, questionable support for physics development) is relegate to a niche of hardcore sim-racers able to invest some little effort to scratch the rough surface and appreciate the magnificent universe beneath.

12. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

And funny thing is RD admins joined our league and I can only imagine what they joined for. They also never got to grips with GetMod and seemed to have an overall anti rF2 mindset. I've tried to assist in the past with packaging and GetMod support and got a very arrogant and aggressive response. If the admins are anti rF2 then one would expect participation to be affected.

Edit: Looks like they finally did get GetMod working. All that opposition and then finally gave in. ;)

13. Bram

Bram Registered

Funny that you say that, as our rF2 staff runs solely rF2 events and most of them don't even like AC :) But yeah, we are very anti-rF2, hence there is daily racing organized for other haters.

Happy New Year :)

14. Domi

Domi Registered

If they hate rF2 or not, it's quite irrelevant, the events are there open for everybody. I don't know the rest, but personally if I was interested in running some event, I couldn't care less if their admins are anti-whatever game, as long as they give that service.

@Avo1977

Are you Avoletta from AC forum? :D

15. Avo1977

Avo1977 Registered

Yes I am. ;)

16. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I'm going off private conversations with Marco in 2013.

17. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

37 people on our server as we speak... just practicing.

18. FatCity

FatCity Registered

Here's a scenario as to why a Mod team might switch allegiances, a Sim company sees in an oppositions previous game that there is a very well designed and built mod that gets the accolades of " the best mod made for said game".

This Sim Company thinks, ok, if we can get that Mod team to make their mod available to us exclusively for a price, why wouldn't the Mod team switch. They get paid for their mod, and at the same time don't have to declare it as "pay ware " and they say it can't be converted. This being because if they allowed conversions, it would decrease sales of the game they switched to.

This is only my idea but it would not be so much different to a Sim company hiring a hobby track maker to make tracks for them would it.

19. Led566

Led566 Registered

We have an EGT rF2 championship starting with 81 simdrivers and 19 teams.

20. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Nice! We got up to 75 teams and something like 237 drivers and finally had to disable entries. We did a test race where 53 teams showed up but it wasn't stable so we dropped the field size to 40. It looks like it was our timing plugin causing the problems so going forward we may go back up. But once you go much over 40 teams you start running into problems were you can fit anymore pit boxes in and junk like that. Also memory usage goes up and some people don't have 4+ GB of RAM to handle monster fields. I would love to see stable 50+ car fields one day. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.