T500RS noisy fan replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by cosimo, Dec 22, 2014.

1. cosimo

cosimo Registered

Any aftermarket component you can suggest? Don't mind spending for a solid reliable and silent fan to replace the awful stock T500 fan.

Thanks!

2. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

I have no idea where you are in the world but I'd start at Digi-Key. There will be literally thousands to choose from but you'll be able to find the quality you're looking for.

3. Remik

Remik Registered

... if you want TOP quality and good size fan as well. U should copy my own idea.

I saw some people advice Akasa fan 60 x 60 x 20 on gtplanet
    but I prefer my own choice 5mm bigger and better quality as well.

Noctua fan is TOP quality product and cost £10.99 only ;)

NOCTUA NF-A6x25 size is 60x60x25 and is perfect !!! - http://simracing.pl/forum/f197/thrustmaster-t500-rs-13061/index51.html

or

http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/your-rig-setup.4431/page-13

http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/your-rig-setup.4431/page-13

http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/your-rig-setup.4431/page-14

... still working PERFECT after 1.5 year without any noise !!! ;)

4. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

I have the same problem with my stock fan. I didn't have time yet to proceed, but found tons of YT video showing which fan and how to do that. Perhaps you can check them to get some ideas? I also thought I saw a thread long time ago suggesting fans and process (AFAIK)..

5. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Is that fan really that noisy? I've been thinking about getting that wheel for a while now, but I want one that's less noisy than the G27 lol :D

6. fohdeesha

fohdeesha Registered

7. cosimo

cosimo Registered

Cool, thanks everyone!

@hexa, yes it's noisy. Sometimes it's less annoying, sometimes more, typical of a bad quality fan. YouTube has some examples :)

8. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

AFAIK It's not noisy anymore as they changed the fan on recent version of the wheel (I read that somewhere). It's more on "old" one like mine (v1 or V2 can't remember). In any case it's a great wheel and was night and day with my G25.

9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I'd say it's only noisy if you don't have your speakers on, or your headphones on. If the computer is off, or with fans low, or just a real quiet one in general, and if you have no noise, then it's definitely noticeable, but the cool down period is only 20 mins or so??...

10. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

What do I look out for if I want a newer version of the wheel with the less noisy fan? Is it usually clear which version of the wheel is being sold?

Sorry for hijacking lol. :D

11. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

No way you'll get such information from generic stores (unless you're picking the wheel from a SimRacing store), but if you buy a brand new unit I'm pretty sure you'll get the new version (different fan, different position, different case vents). Also, if you see the blue box you're sure it's the new version of the unit (but it's not a mandatory feature....I've got my new unit with new fan in the standard box).

12. oHOWEo

oHOWEo Registered

Make sure you get a static pressure fan rather than an airflow fan. Static pressure fan is going to be noisy, back to square one

13. cosimo

cosimo Registered

Noctua NF-A6x25 it is then. I bought Noctua for my desktop computer and never looked back, so will definitely give it a go.

14. cosimo

cosimo Registered

Can you explain please? I didn't understand your statement.

How do I identify static pressure vs airflow?

15. oHOWEo

oHOWEo Registered

Static pressure are high rpm and blast air at something i.e a cpu cooler/heatsink. Air flow fans are lower rpm that just suck air in/out of a case, less noisy. Air flow fans wont keep a heat sink cool if thats whats inside the wheel.

16. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I'm pretty sure it's the opposite. A higher CFM means more air flow, while some fans may not have as high CFM (airflow) but may offer great static pressure and are therefore better for radiators and such (despite having less total airflow) like certain Noctua models and the 1850 RPM Scythe Gentle Typhoon model which is one of the most popular rad models of all time.

P.S. most manufacturer CFM and static pressure specs are a bunch of crap.

17. oHOWEo

oHOWEo Registered

You need a fan designed for sp rad or cpu cooler, not an air flow fan regardless of cfm ratings.
    There is no sensor to give temp readings in the wheel so I would worry that the peeps that have installed a quieter fan may not be getting the cooling it needs.

18. Remik

Remik Registered

NOCTUA NF-A6x25 and T500RS

GOOD cooling and TOTAL silence !!!

I hope this will help you :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just cut yellow wire... remove and swap with genuine connection

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2015
  19. Remik

Remik Registered

20. jayblue

jayblue Registered

Just fitted the Noctua fan mentioned in this thread to my T500 RS. At first i thought it wasn't working! It's so much quieter than the stock fan and flows more air too. Got the fan for £11 off Amazon and installation was pretty easy too. Highly recommend this mod to anyone who finds the original fan irritating like i did.