Racing Types

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by elbo, Dec 17, 2014.

1. elbo

elbo Registered

I'll admit I am easily baffled by many things in this world.
    The other day I joined a server, the guy on there was a bit of a chatty type which I don't mind because often I wind up learning something from these characters.
    So on we go, practicing around the track and he giving some types on braking points and what not, all good stuff.
    Then the weirdness starts...he is driving behind me typing out full sentences of advice on my driving all the while lapping a full second faster than me.
    Putting aside the debate of me being fast or not how in god's name is it possible that a person could type and drive at speed at the same time.
    I'll admit I am easily baffled...

2. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

Speak to type / hit enter only - maybe ? Not sure , but baffled me to at times lol

3. Emery

Emery Registered

LOL, sounds like DurgeDriven!

4. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

Hahahaha :D

5. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

You beat me to it emery. I was in rookies server and durge was 5mm off my rear bumper typing novels to me on driving technique lol
    Funny thing was I understood what he was on about in the server. I kinda struggle on these forums lolp

6. Minibull

Minibull Member

Nah, he's got it all prewritten out and assigned to hotkeys XD

7. Maug

Maug Registered

He makes his wife type for him!

8. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Sounds legit.

However I do that too. When someone asks me a question I don't stop. I just drive one handed and type with the other one quite fast without looking at the keyboard since I'm used to typing using my memory of keyboard. The only tricky part is to think about what you're typing because you may end up with typing sth like: I want spaghetti!

After being asked from downstairs if I want anything specific to eat.

True story..

9. matf1

matf1 Registered

... and he does this for all rookies joining his server. What might surprise you further, is that his wheel is broken and pedals starting spiking. So much so that he needs to unplug/replug the wheel while driving down those straights typing at you.

In my opinion, Durge Driven is a true community hero who puts others needs above his own, each and every time AND he does a bloody good job of it.
    In almost all cases when a wookie leaves the server, they are several seconds in advance of what they were able to achieve but also with an understanding of racecraft, strategy and patience.
    To top it off, the man is also one of the drivers I rate as being one of the best I've seen in my 20+ years sim racing.

So thank you Durge not only on behalf of the many hundreds of wookies you have helped over the years, but from us seasoned racers who now have others to battle.
    A true community hero!

LOPL!

p.s For those who do not know, the server is !F3 Rookies(not up 24/7).

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2014
  10. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Oh... please don't tell me that you're dumping me for him?!

11. elbo

elbo Registered

Fair enough, I'll buy the one handed typing explanation but won't pry any further as to how DD and you came to perfect this skill :)

12. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

You all free to do what you like , drive where you like, turn chat off if you like. :)

Don't be such pussies. lol ;)

You cant concentrate with chat on you got no hope.

How will you ever be a decent Marine in your shooter games when you can't do 2 things at once. ?

13. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

I crash when I'm only reaching for ESC lol
    Talking of broken wheels my upshift paddle is hanging out of mine so I have no choice ATM but to shift with the stick. Not ideal in formula cars but typing while driving that's another level of skill :)

14. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

hehehe

Is funny I spell worse in chat then posts here and no one seems to have a problem understanding......................

Anyways I rather have chatty types any day ...........rather then some Buddha ............... don't say " hello" , "Thanks for the setup" or "Goodbye"

ONE thing people with BP can't handle ? ..................being ignored. hehehehe

15. Tucker Fleming

Tucker Fleming Registered

Ya man, I had Good 'ol Durge follow me around IMS one day hollering at me all the while how to go faster. He was right, and now I'm faster at IMS. Tanx DD, I thought it was fun.

16. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

He did the same for me at Spa once. I thought I was quick before I joined the server... ended shaving several seconds off my previous best, due to his live advice.

Lol and the good old "smash the gas out of the pits and don't lift through Eau Rouge". Hellz yeah, brother man! :) :D

17. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Funny you tell rookies to go from their box " as fast as you can without losing traction ...."

I mean to me that is pretty self explanatory.

So what do they then do ?
    They trundle down pits in 1st gear and slow onto track and hit Eau Rouge in 2nd or 3rd gear at low revs. hehehe

DD....................
    lmao :p

Rookie...........

lol p

18. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

pmsl :)

19. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

That's wot' we call 'em mate.

Wookies !@!

Nothing gives me more pleasure then seeing then finish a race , putting in a PB.........or towing past you down to Stavelot and pulling it off ............that one is very rare for a wookie. hehe

When they nail Stavelot and exit at 123\125mph and Blanchimont at anything over 100mph ...................your F3-ROOKIE training is done. :)

------------------

That is why Flat from Pits at Belgium is the most effective method I have ever found to get a rookie to understand the F3 Eve.

Like cold tyres and full tank ............ I want a rookie to attack Eau Rouge as hard as they possibly can !!!

" Like he is nuts ? " ........that is what they first think but till they put total trust in the car and the tyres and the setup they won't get it hey Mat.

WHEN they nail Eau Rouge that first time perfect ( only takes 10 goes really for anyone ) finally they understand and start using more throttle at more corners and trusting the grip.

;)

The magic thing if you nail the F3 Eve Eau test Perfect ........you truly feel what a rF2 car and physics and tyres are capable of.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2014
  20. Minibull

Minibull Member

All I'll say is lopl...
    XD

Had some great fun in the rookies server, good stuff :)