rFactor 2 Build 906 Now Available!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Didn't think it was a fix, just thought it might have been a cause ;)

2. Paddler

Paddler Registered

I don't get it.
    Update went smooth and the sim is running perfectly without any problems. All at max settings.
    Have AC and other sims, but no other has the depth and complexity of rF2. Driving here needs all my attention.

3. Tosch

Tosch Registered

I've updated the lazy way via auto updater and had no problems. What I always do before an update is to clean the user profile. I delete all cbash files, the shader cache and the old replays.

Things I've noticed with the new build

-Night racing looks much better now without these crazy specular reflections. Environment reflections on car skins at night (maybe at daytime too) have been greatly improved. Light emitting textures create a strong reflection, like they should.
    -The lighting on billboard trees is much better now (more ambient light, less direct light). Maybe a bit to much because I can hardly notice any effect of the normal maps on the billboards. Anyway, black trees are a thing from the past. Good job! :D

-At some tracks the AI cars have trouble to leave the garages (Silverstone). It looks like they don't use the "garage depth" parameter in the gdb file anymore and turn to early in direction of the pit exit (and get stuck in the garage wall).
    -Another AI related issue, but has nothing to do with the latest build, is the "driving style" of the Nissan GTR. It seems the AI of this car is on steroids. I have tried different fast path and corridor configurations (AIW) but whatever I do, they attack the curbs like mad. Is there a way to calm these guys somewhat?

4. stonec

stonec Registered

I agree that lighting is better, issue is that many tracks (cough cough Interlagos) have very light-colored trees to begin with, so they will naturally look a bit worse now. Finding balanced tree textures was extremely difficult before due to this "black tree" billboarding effect, so it's great to hear it has improved. Now if automatic HDR would one day be tweaked so that cockpits would have less overexposure, I would be quite happy.

5. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

6. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Looking forward to trying night racing, since it is apparently good now. Do you have the milky light-white reflection layer over all the cars now, Tosch? Not sure if it's rF2 or a video driver issue (or combo)? The daytime lighting is slightly more realistic, but the highly annoying over-exposure from cockpit view of a closed cockpit is still there (maybe even worse) and now further detracted by this strange whitish film.

7. Tosch

Tosch Registered

I had this milky reflection at night with the older builds (illuminated specular map). At daytime I see no problem at all. Have you tried different tracks? If a track is not configured to have reflections (like Essington 1.04, the modder has to define the reflected objects in the scene file, REFMAP0) all you see on the cars skin is the reflection of the skybox, which gives a very strange looking result because the skybox doesn't end at the horizon.

8. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Thank you.

9. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Just had an application crash while leaving the track (back to main menu).

10. Emery

Emery Registered

Yes, I should have said, "workaround".

11. Chefmark

Chefmark Registered

I like the new build, Game does not crash anymore.

12. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

The new build seems very stable to me. Framerate is stable too, much more than before. Love it!

13. Jonathon LeFaive

Jonathon LeFaive Registered

Ok, one more question (I think). Does it crash after installing something from the remote content list in the launcher itself? I suspect that it will crash at the end of the installation.

There some vehicles that aren't packaged into a single component and are not published on this list. There are plans to get these up there, though. Since this list represents a remote repository, having something installed locally won't affect what's on the list.

A future release of the launcher will have some local install/uninstall capabilities embedded into it. At which point, the separation between remote and local domains will be more clear.

14. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Should I manually uninstall something from Mod Manager so that it will allow me to install (I am presuming that's what will happen)--already had/have all content installed.

Not sure if I was clear before, but if I select a "wrong" directory, it does not crash. Of course I have no content in Mod Manager, either, so not a useful solution!

15. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

This is all cars and all tracks (that I have tried so far). I always use ISI content for any testing or reporting.

16. Jonathon LeFaive

Jonathon LeFaive Registered

Yes, uninstall something via mod manager and then reinstall it from Launcher.

I created a new thread at the link below. Please respond to this thread when it pertains to this issue.
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/22972-Launcher-Crash-When-Closing-Mod-Manager

17. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Boy this is annoying...

I went over to Mod Manager to uninstall the Camaro for the test purposes. Before doing so, confirmed the crash on exit of Mod Manager. Uninstalled the Camaro and then noticed two more problems:

1) I can no longer sort by Installed and Not Installed because no yet-to-be-installed items are showing-up in my Mod Manager, including the Camaro I just uninstalled. The Mod Manager listings are such a horrendously haphazard listing that the only way to find a new track or car you want to install is to sort by Installed. Now even that aggravation is not available.

2) The URD T5 mod had corrupted again. I reported earlier that the only mod that had an issue for me after updating to 906 was the T5 mod. I just uninstalled and re-installed it (yes, the problem #1 above was not there yesterday or after I updated!!!!!) and all was good. So something is causing it to corrupt that is not me. Of course I uninstalled it to repeat the process, but now cannot re-install it because I can't see any not installed packages in my Mod Manager :(

In classic rF2 fashion, not all is bad. Now that my mod Manager doesn't work properly, I can exit back to the Launcher WITHOUT crashing. It shows the Camaro needing to be installed (as expected). T5 mod and a new track I downloaded are nowhere to be found (as expected).

I wanted to write this before auto-installing the Camaro from the Launcher in case it all reverts back to where it was before (fully working Mod Manager, but crash on exit).

POST-INSTALL UPDATE:

Camaro downloaded and installed perfectly from Launcher (I manually deleted it from Packages folder since Mod Manager wouldn't let me). It is there, with its milky coating that all my cars now have and works as normal.

Mod Manager still doesn't show any not installed components and now still does NOT crash upon exit to Launcher.

My favourite!!!: The T5 Mod is gone from Mod Manager (as expected, I uninstalled it), but in-game it is still there and works perfectly (except for the milky look, but that's not URD T5-specific).

Knowing this, it is not clear if the Camaro really uninstalled, either, but too late to check since I manually uninstalled package and then used Launcher to install afresh.

I can't wait for the possible explanation for this one! Meanwhile I am stranded and cannot install any new packages.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2014
  18. Lgel

Lgel Registered

Good news.

Bug fixed, resume from replay seems to work, crashed RF2 every time with previous build.

Cheers.

19. Joe Campana

Joe Campana Registered

I'l look into this right away - I appreciate all the time you put into documenting this problem. What I don't appreciate is all the smart-ass color commentary that comes with it.

20. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

That comes from years of dealing with these sorts of update issues (and the same feature/bug items that get dredged-up after every update because they haven't been dealt with thoroughly--like mirrors, heat haze bubble, AI, AA/transparency, etc., etc.).

For example, I now wish I could go back to my crash on exit because that's better than not crashing on exit, but losing access to manage my mods. Still wondering how this morphed from one problem to a worse situation?

The only positive you can take from all the whinging on here is that your core product is good enough that people are still here complaining. If it wasn't, we'd have been long gone. I will look for any further info on this over in the new thread...or await the next build update.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2014