Please vote for rFactor (1) on Steam

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Dec 9, 2014.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Nobody has mentioned it being one or the other only for either product.

2. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Why do people all assume the worst that ISI will go Steam only?! Sheesh!

Indeed

3. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I never forgot this, used to rave about it lool ;)

For me personally this was one of the more significant steps rF2 took.

But in all those old threads I got fobbed off, most likely insulted by seasoned onliners who suggested mismatches were not a problem.

Sure for Pros I agree, but your "average simmer" would have to know why they CTD , go to a forum or PM a mate and ask, then download new file or edit file then join...........

So people must explain to me if that is the case, how is manually downloading all content you want to run any harder to accomplish then that ????

At least rF2 tells you what you need !

lmao

4. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

@Tim...why are you even spending anytime on rF1? ... why not get rF2 to a state that you can properly promote it and maybe get rF1 users to buy rF2?

5. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I voted. Though I am not a big fan of Mills, I must say I miss the original rF version and colors.

He isn't spending time on rF1, and rF1 is being brought over to Steam to expand its user base and reach people it didn't or couldn't before.

6. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

whats the point of that though...why not promote rF2 and get them to buy it instead of an old game

7. PMC

PMC Registered

I would have thought the answer to this would have been apparent (couldn't spell the other word I wanted to use) .

As far as i know rF1 is still a very good sim and is still competing with some big titles . You say why not promote rF2 but surely you realise it's not quite ,even though close'ish to being what people expect.

Why not promote an ISI product and encourage more people to go to rF1 Knowing when rF2 reaches a truly promotable state most of these people will jump over , and generating income in the meantime , remember this is a business .

Seems ISI are committed to this product for a long time (10 years maybe?) and investing some time in rF1 seems to be a good strategy , in the long run I cant see a problem except for those that have there own expectations.

Maybe ISI have a clearer view of whats going on than some of us .

8. Minibull

Minibull Member

To use it as a test mule of sorts, to see what the reaction is like, to see how the system can work with their products. So if everything goes favourably for the consumers and the company, time can be spent getting rF2 sussed for Steam. As Tim said, this is being done by a different group for rF1, so that the rF2 devs can continue doing their work on rF2. So if it really doesn't work out, time isn't lost on rF2 core work and progress and they can pass on adding rF2 to Steam. Seems smart to me...XD

9. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

fair enough...personally I don't get trying to boost numbers in rF1 when rF2 is stuggling as much as it is 3 years after launch...rF1 online should be a ghost town by now not rF2

10. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

It's the same reason old Sector3 games are on Steam. rFactor is one and done, no development going and last update was a long, long, long time ago. There is no cost to ISI except perhaps a very small monetary cost to get someone to implement the game into the way Steam works, or the cost of taking away some time (broken out over days, weeks, months?) of a programmers' schedule. The way things look to us on the outside it maybe won't make absolutely any difference if it's the latter, and in the end for basically no cost the company will be able to reach potentially thousands and thousands of customers.

For $27.99 as a modding platform it may not sell but let's say the price is capped at $19.99 (with seasonal sales) then 1.000 people buying rF1 on Steam = $19.990 dollars in revenue and still a very large chunk after Valve Steam's fees. It's basically free money. Let's say it sells 5.000 copies and garners some $90.000 for ISI... ideally that money could go towards artists, to get more licensed content in the game much sooner than possible. Does it make sense now? This is a very quick explanation based on certain assumptions.

11. PMC

PMC Registered

Well another thing i'm reasonably sure of , things haven't gone quite as smoothly as anticipated and ,, well, the progress isn't where maybe they thought it would be and seems like a good plan B

12. Uff

Uff Registered

A move in the right direction. Well done.

13. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

that sounds like a more reasonable answer... although I think its pretty bad to see a game makers old game so much more popular online than its newer one... and doing this is just going to add to it.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2014
  14. PMC

PMC Registered

Ok so consider this , 1% negative feedback cancels out 10% positive feedback (sorry figures are purely a perception, but you get the idea) , simply its not worth the negative input .

15. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Yeah, it could be a chance for ISI to earn some extra money. From the users point of view: i was 2 times in this extreme thunderbolt, generated through steam as they tried to convert Race07 to the Steam file system...There was zero support from Steam, while they did a lot of wrong things with the Race07 files. Hopefully something like this wouldn`t happen with rF1...

//Edit: but to help ISI, i voted Yes, too.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2014
  16. Rik

Rik Registered

I voted yes. I hope i will be able to vote for RF2, sooner or later.

17. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

I continue to be amazed at how people, after spending thousands of hours of their life playing rF1 suddenly dismiss it because it is "old". Age does not apply to racing sims. rF1 is still as deep as it always was and will always be forever.

Having said that I will acknowledge that a certain level of skills, knowledge and experience is required to fully appreciate rF1 and the depth of my experience with rF1 grows as as my skills, knowledge and experience grow. It wouldn't surprise me if I never fully appreciate what rF1 has to offer.

18. stonec

stonec Registered

Probably income from rF1 was getting close to zero due to all illegal versions, which ironically is also one reason why rF1 is more popular online. This way ISI will at least make some more money with it. rF2 copy protection is much better.

19. BlaringFiddle5

BlaringFiddle5 Registered

Its a religious thing. Some people are religious about not liking steam for some reason. Not sure why. I have used it since the beginning when it was just a distribution/anti-cheat/anti-piracy for half-life 1 / counter-strike (~2000). Its fine, really, nothing wrong with it at all. Have purchased MANY games through it. Many of them for only $5. Without Steam, I probably wouldn't own 75% of those games.

It will not erase your mods that you hand install. I have many mods hand installed in both Skyrim and Assetto Corsa and they have never been magically erased. There is no bloat. Steam is a very well written interface that isn't obtrusive at all (well it might be if you have an ancient computer, but thats really your problem isn't it?)

Oh and - voted :D

20. redapg

redapg Registered

I didn't read the whole thread or what is written on the linked site from Tim.

I don't like Services like Steam, Origin, Uplay....and as long as i can play rFactor 1 online without using Steam, i don't care.

Didn't vote at all.