Graphics settings - what am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sling Dash, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Emery

Emery Registered

Look at opponent cars. Low detail in the "before" shot, can't read what's on the cars! The other difference is overcast sky in the "before" shot compared to partly cloudly in the "after" shot.

2. Sling Dash

Sling Dash Registered

What?! Perhaps it's misleading to have posted an outside car view, so here is another with cockpit view. It may be difficult to show the vast improvement I've had, but believe me it looks far, far better. Look at the FPS as well - more than double!

Right click both images and open in two new windows, then compare.

View attachment 15136
    View attachment 15138

3. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Wow, definitely see a diff.

4. Robcart944

Robcart944 Registered

Me too.

5. Sling Dash

Sling Dash Registered

Honestly, it looks so much better, even though the screen shots may not allow you to fully appreciate the difference. I can't believe the FPS performance either. I must've seriously f****d something up somewhere with my faffing!

Thanks again, folks. Chuffed! :D

6. whiplash

whiplash Registered

So would you share your actual setting? Thanks!

7. Sling Dash

Sling Dash Registered

Sure. I've had to turn down a couple of things since re-installing everything, as some tracks are 'only' giving me about 80-90FPS. Please note that I've no idea what some of the settings at the bottom of the in-game video settings do, and have left what I consider the most important ones at Full or High. I haven't noticed any difference between the lower settings being on low or off than having them on full or high, but would appreciate any advice on what to do with them to maximise FPS across the board.

Current settings for Windows7, 8GB RAM, Gigabyte GeForce GTX660 (o/c edition), Intel i3570k CPU:

RF2 Launcher settings:
    1280x720 scrreen resolution (as recommended by Windows for my 50" HDTV).
    Refresh Rate: 60Hz
    Sync: None
    AA:6
    Mode: Fullscreen
    HDR: On
    FXAA: Off
    Widescreen UI: Ticked

In-Game Settings:

Circuit Detail: Full
    Player Detail: Full
    Opponent Cars: High
    Texture Detail: Full
    Texture Filter: x16 Anisotropic
    Special Effects: Full
    Shadows: Medium
    Shadow Blur: Optimal
    Movies: Off
    Soft Particles: High
    Rain Drops: Yes
    Road Reflection: Low
    Environment Reflection: Low
    Wind and Crowd Motion: No

FOV: 35
    Auto Detail FPS: Off

8. stonec

stonec Registered

There isn't much to gain in image quality by going higher settings than this, reflections on "high" setting would basically only increase the update rate. Where there is more to gain is in the resolution, I consider 720p ancient for gaming today. Especially rF2 imo needs the higher resolution or you will have jagged edges everywhere. Well I guess it depends on distance you sit from TV as well etc.

9. matf1

matf1 Registered

With Nvidias DSR, it might be worth trying higher res while removing AA entirely and Lowering AF. Depends on the hardware and some people don't like the look.

I suppose it depends if your satisfied now or not? IMO you have to have at least 90 fps solid.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

10. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

With a HDTV 720p TV you don't have really the choice to upper the resolution. In any case sound good, I can also see a pretty good improvement here :)

11. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Try texture filter at x8 and soft particles Low. Next step would be removing shadow blur.

12. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

This should help you massively http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php?t=22793

13. Sling Dash

Sling Dash Registered

Many thanks guys. This link: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php?t=22793 helped enormously! I'm now getting an extra 40-50FPS thanks to that! Running at an average of 140FPS now.

I had a panic moment when my FPS took a nose dive and RF2 started stuttering really badly, but realised I'd turned FXAA on in RF2 Config. Turning that off, and using those settings, has worked wonders.

It's only taken me a week to get it sorted! :rolleyes:

14. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Very glad to hear about your improvements :) . I bet you can hardly tell a difference in visual quality despite the large gain in framerate. Am I correct?

15. Sling Dash

Sling Dash Registered

No, it looks a hell of a lot better. Nowhere near as 'cartoony' or overly bright and far more detail now. I don't know what was wrong, but it looked bloody awful before all your help - as illustrated by those first few screen shots I posted. It still doesn't look anywhere near as good as iRacing or AC, or even LFS (which are all on maximum settings at very high FPS), which is a real shame, but that's just the way it is I believe and there's nowt we can do about that.

I don't think the stuttering was due to having FXAA turned on. I think it was due to me having different AA and pre-rendered frame settings in nVidia CP and Inspector, but they're all the same now, and now more problems in that department.

Online mode keeps crashing to desktop now though... :rolleyes:

16. adaptable1

adaptable1 Registered

I'm wondering if you just turned both reflections settings to none what kind of performance you would get. I'm able to crank everything (except reflections and AA on none) and use FXAA while maintaining 120fps vsync on. It looks great. Although I think the reflections issue might be due to SLI.

17. Sling Dash

Sling Dash Registered

Well I don't know about anybody else, but the latest build has made MASSIVE improvements yet again for me! I've just whacked everything to maximum as a test, enhanced that with various nVidia control panel and nVidia Inspector settings, and I'm getting another huge frame rate increase. Between 70-80FPS on absolute [enhanced] maximum (where I would only get 30FPS before, if I was lucky), and almost 200FPS when notching things like shadows, road reflection and soft particles down a little. The whole thing looks better and feels better. Running as smooth as a baby's proverbial now!

I don't know what you've done, ISI, but well done - and thank you! :D

18. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Share the goods, some folks on similar boats can benefit.

19. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Wot's all I said 2 pages ago ..................

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...-I-doing-wrong?p=324971&viewfull=1#post324971

Sorry for yelling next post but I was ignored BP kicked in loool ..............but it was as plain as the nose on me face. hehehe

I agree with others the new build is better at least running no HDR and if anything feels smoother, I never got a noticeable fps rise as others report.

Main reason imho , whatever that shader or filter was overlaying everything for months and months is gone.

Everything has a proper contrast again.

No, I am not saying colour saturation is correct just more in line with what it used to be.

( Like I said in graphics threads on performance, why would I use HDR I can't get at least 90-100 fps which you need to really feel the car work.

That is all I tried to say, too many times, lol sorry, like this .....
    Ari and others took that to think I thought all you needed was my specs and a 60Hz monitor to run rF2 well. lmao

Same as if I said to someone running 3 screens getting 60fps. " this is not acceptable to me " what ? suddenly you are a monster for telling the truth ? )

lool anyways..............

20. Sling Dash

Sling Dash Registered

I honestly haven't a clue what I'm doing in nVidia Inspector or nVidia CP, friend. I'm the last person who should be offering settings advice after obviously cocking-up my initial installation of RF2 with my fannying about. Isn't such advice (even if I were remotely capable of giving any) only of use to those who have the same system and display as me anyway?

All I've done is 'up' the AA settings in nVidia CP and Inspector, set max pre-rendered frames to 3 (after Googling whatever the hell that setting does) in CP, and set texture filtering to 'High Quality' in CP.

I've faffed about with in-sim settings at max, min and everywhere in between, and have noticed only slight FPS differences between some level of settings and others. There are so many different options to choose from, but I've stuck with the important things at the top of the list at max, and those at the bottom at min or off. I have probably not got anywhere near the optimal settings for my system, but I've faffed around enough and am happy with looks/performance now.

My only point with my previous post was that RF2 is generally looking, feeling and performing far better than before, with the latest update, with the settings and system I am using.