Graphics settings - what am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sling Dash, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Sling Dash

Sling Dash Registered

I've just fire-up RF1. It looks better on full settings than RF2 does, and I'm getting over 400FPS.

As I've said before, ALL other games and sims look and perform great at max settings.

2. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

You guys who call it BS etc. How hard can it be to show a screenshot and tell us how you made it look better? Please enlighten us. Remember 1 pm at that spot on track with those cars.

3. whiplash

whiplash Registered

Well, at least for me (and my old spec hardware) rF2 is running great and looks more than ok to me. I'm limited to 1280x1024 at the moment though..

View attachment 15112

4. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

Thats not at 1 PM.

5. stonec

stonec Registered

You still have HDR off in those latest posted screenshots, despite you were told to put it on. rF2 graphics engine without HDR is more or less same as rF1. HDR is the big new feature, so if you don't use that, you will essentially get rF1 graphics, plus the ISI tracks are not meant to be used with HR off, all textures are wrong.

6. stonec

stonec Registered

rF2 graphics at 1 PM look indeed poor, worst example is Interlagos. Here is a comprison:

1 PM:
    View attachment 15113

3:30 PM:
    View attachment 15114

Only solution for now is not to run this game at hours between 11 AM and 2 PM.

7. whiplash

whiplash Registered

You're right, only practice i set to 1pm... and i realize the point now...
    View attachment 15115

8. yusupov

yusupov Registered

yeah, rich@pitlanes mentioned this in one of his videos but id of course noticed it before as well. noon-1 is just an awful time, itd be dull in any engine but it looks bad in rf2. but sunrise/sunset times can look fantastic. id just suggest using late afternoon or early morning as start time..idk if anything can be done about the noon o'clock issue.

9. Emery

Emery Registered

Autodromo di Mores is the best looking ISI track, just ignore the trackside vehicles. Croft (or Poznan) is the best looking 3rd party track. When setting/comparing graphics, these are the tracks to use and let the other tracks fall where they may!

Silverstone and Indianapolis and the Loch are on par; if they weren't so large memory-wise, they'd probably look as good as Mores. These are the modern tracks.

Lime Rock and Palm Beach and Mills and Malaysia are that next tier down. They were made 2011-2012?

And then there's Portugal... it's like the historic tracks, probably created way back in 2008 or 2009.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2014
  10. boxer

boxer Registered

Agree 100%... I wish the NON HDR version got improved or the HDR got fixed if that is ever possible.

The results is see posted by the OP is also my experience for this time of day in terms of lighting...

11. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I never said it was not right

I JUST SAID IT LOOKED CRAP for your average ISI combo, car track time of day ......<<< GET it ??

Drive a car and track and time of day look decent.

Stop trying to pick faults with stuff you know looks crap,

ffs

Did anyone, anyone at all look at the writing on the back of the car in front like I asked.

No......

YOU CANT READ IT .......... IT IS THAT BLURRY.

You all so blind about what looks right you never even seen it.

He needs quality settings adjusting not time of day !!! , basic mips and detail levels look atrocious.

He has a GTX660 ( good card for mixed high settings ) ffs

:) lol ?

Seriously have another proper look at back of car, you tell me what is written on it ?............. I can't.

Yes, yes I put my glasses on and cleaned them......lol

http://isiforums.net/f/attachment.php?attachmentid=15102&d=1417944933

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2014
  12. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

mid-day is 'flat' because the sun is overhead so it casts no shadows.
    ask any photographer and they will tell you they hardly take pics at mid-day.

13. stonec

stonec Registered

Nah, the lighting is simply messed up in daytime. This is how sky looks like in 12 PM:

View attachment 15116

I want to believe it's realistic, but I can't.

14. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

It is widely known there are lighting issues and that HDR can't be used to solve things when the base is off.

@ Sling:
    In your settings, I recommend you turn road and env reflection to low at least, if necessary for more FPS turning down opponent and/or track detail to high (keeping texture at full) should help. Shadow maybe even to low and AA to 4x. But HDR on is an absolute must as things stand. How is your game fairing now, if you set it to say, 3:30 on the correct session which you're capturing the screens?

15. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I wouldn't say graphics look poor, just colours (contrast, etc.). I mean textures are still very nice, object count is still very nice, trackside details are still very nice, shadows (in the places you are supposed to have shadows at that time of day) are for the most part detailed and nice. Curbs, walls, trees, painted lines, etc, still look nice.

16. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

just plain ugly and should not belong to a modern game/sim

17. Sling Dash

Sling Dash Registered

I'm trying a clean installation of the 'Lite' version, and trying just one car at Silverstone. I've set everything in nVidia CP and Inspector to defaults.

Will post back if any improvements.

Thanks again for all the replies and advice - very much appreciated!

18. Sling Dash

Sling Dash Registered

Sorted! With extensive help from a forum friend - very many thanks, bud.

I think I'd corrupted some files in RF2 somehow (with all my faffing about no doubt), and probably done the same with nVidia CP and Inspector. Anyway, here are the results - which are dramatic, to say the least. I've only changed view slightly by switching camera view to show more of the sky, car and track etc, but now running far higher FPS than ever before, even on absolute maximum settings.

View attachment 15130

And this is what my max settings looked like before:
    View attachment 15131

Thank you all very much for all your help and suggestions.

19. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Now I can see the signwriting lol ;)

Glad you got it sorted

20. stonec

stonec Registered

Honestly I can't see any difference in image quality between those two screenshots, the camera views are too different to compare. Track will always look better from external view, cockpit overexposes lighting too much, so there is no point comparing those two views. As long as you keep HDR on and don't run the game in daytime hours, rF2 generally looks acceptable. Glad you got FPS sorted.