Graphics settings - what am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sling Dash, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Sling Dash

Sling Dash Registered

Hi all,

Here are two screen shots from two different screen resolutions. I've also included my graphics settings. I re-sized all the images, so if you need to zoom in a bit to see how bad they are, click the links and use Ctrl/plus key to zoom in closer.

Surely the 1920x1080 should look better than the 1280x720? As you can see, they look identical! I'm using an nVidia GTX660 overclocked edition (2048MB), I have 8GB RAM and an i3570k CPU running Windows7. All other games and sims run at very high FPS on maximum graphics settings, so why does RF2 look so bad? Is that really how it should actually look?

I've tried to change some HDR presets, but they don't make any difference - e.g. changing from 'cloudy/dull' to 'automation' the screen is exactly the same. I've got nVidia Ispector and have set the default RF2 preset from the drop-down list. I think I've also tweaked RF2 settings in nVidia Control Panel, but honestly haven't a clue what I'm doing in either of those. RF2 AA settings are set to 8x, and I've tried different settings in both nvidia Inspector and nVidia CP (enhance application/application controlled etc), but still get really nasty 'jaggies' which are always there whichever settings I choose.
    Whatever I try the sim looks way to 'cartoony' and bright. I'm also getting 'transparent' trees on many tracks.

Surely I'm doing something wrong somewhere? There are YouTube videos of RF2 which look great, but mine looks like a bag of s**t. Any advice very much appreciated, as I've spent thw past three days faffing about and am sick of it now. Thanks folks.

View attachment 15099

View attachment 15100

View attachment 15101

2. Minibull

Minibull Member

Ok first of all...what track is that? I'd stick with something like Silverstone for getting your settings sussed. It's a big track with a fair bit going on, so it's good for getting your baseline sorted. Plus it's nicely done like ISI's latest bunch of tracks. If that is a conversion track, many of them are porrly done by the modder, the textures need to be worked on to suit the lighting engine in rF2. Also, a few of them were acceptable a few years ago in previous sims, but to port it straight over without doing any work to anything...it doesn't look up to standard these days.

Turn on environment reflections to either low or high, and turn special effects on. The main ones to avoid are max settings on shadows and the road reflections one.

Also as a sight thought, put some clouds in for the weather, either light or medium...so many people don't and it leaves the sky so empty XD

Edit: A surefire/desperate way to see whats up is to just crank everything up to max and go out on track alone. Take pictures and then just start dropping settings to off, see what effect they have on the scene.

3. Sling Dash

Sling Dash Registered

I've set screen back to 1280x720 as it's making absolutely no difference, and is the recommended setting in Windows.

Here are two more screens from Lime Rock - which is one of the 'best looking' tracks I have. Everything in nVidia CP and nVidia Insp is set to application controlled:

View attachment 15102

View attachment 15103

I can't tell the difference! The only difference is FPS performance. Both are jaggy, too bright and 'cartoony' looking. If anything, the opponent cars look better on minimum. Surely something's wrong somewhere? Or is that just how RF2 is?

4. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Your graphics look absolutely terrible. The colours, the cars, the lighting. Something is seriously messed-up man. Set your graphic car settings back to default. Your global settings and the rF2 NVidia profile settings. Do it in inspector, then apply, then go into the standard Nvidia Control panel and set both the global and rF2 game-specific profiles back to full defaults from there as well, just to be super safe since your graphics look seriously wrong.

5. Minibull

Minibull Member

Wow, seriously messed up man, like Spinelli says.

Just to confirm, you do have HDR on right?

6. Sling Dash

Sling Dash Registered

Thanks guys. I don't know what's happened, hence the post. I've turned HDR off as it looks more realistic and I get far better FPS, but will turn it on again if you think it'll help? Will turn everything back to default now.

I'll post a pic if it works.

Will also post a pic if it doesn't and be back for more suggestions!

7. Minibull

Minibull Member

Absolutely, the tracks (the decent ones) are made to use HDR. Everything certainly looks flat without HDR, which is why I noticed it, all the lighting had no...uh..."depth" to it, the cokcpit was almost as well lit as the outside, etc.

Have to say as it stands, it certainly doesn't look realistic as can be seen from the crazy shots, so I'm wondering if even with HDR, there is some other problem going on.

8. Sling Dash

Sling Dash Registered

Well I've done all that, and here are some screens. Still looks like cr@p to me, whatever I do. Reset everything I can think of to default.

View attachment 15105 Max graphics HDR On
    View attachment 15106 Max Graphics HDR Off
    View attachment 15107 Min graphics HDR Off

I had been playing with nVidia CP gamma/color settings, but everything in there is now default as far as I can tell.

There is a 'Remove' button for all installed games in nVidia CP, but it's greyed-out and I can't remove all the programs I've added - even though they're now at defaults.

By the way, this is ONLY an RF2 issue. ALL other games/sims working perfectly fine with full settings and great FPS performance.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2014
  9. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Wow

No wonder you bothered by it Sling, at first I thought that was NFS SE lol ( jk jk ) ;)

To remove and/or reset all NV profiles........... just uninstall and reinstall your graphics driver ;)

Then import your saved profiles back.

You do save ( export ) them hey.

10. Daytona 675

Daytona 675 Registered

11. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

Thats just how the game looks at 1 pm sadly. Nothing wrong with your settings. The ones claiming otherwise: Please take a screenshot on that place on track at 1 pm that looks better.

Solution: Change the time of day for both practice and race to 5 pm.

12. Sling Dash

Sling Dash Registered

Thanks for taking the time to read and help, folks.

I've no idea how to save all current profiles for other games. Can't see an option to do so anywhere in NV CP. Is there a settings folder I can just back-up?

I've tried different screen resolutions all at different RF2 graphics settings, and they all look just as sh*t as each other. All other games/sims work great with this card. All at max settings with way over the top FPS performance, which I normally have to restrict or set to Vert Sync. I'm using a 50" HD TV as a monitor, which has a native PC (or rather a 'recommended' when using as a PC monitor) setting of 1280x720 - which I've always used.

If I can work out how to save current profiles for other games in NVCP, do I use just use Windows device manager to remove all graphics drivers, then restart PC and update using GeForce Experience?

I know HOW to do most things, I just don't know WHAT to do! lol.

Really?

13. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

14. Sling Dash

Sling Dash Registered

Double post. Please see following post.

15. Sling Dash

Sling Dash Registered

View attachment 15110 LRP Max settings 4pm

View attachment 15111 LRP Min Settings 4pm

Maybe this is just the way it looks, but according to other posters...

...mine looks way off.

It does to me, too, but if this really is how it's supposed to be, then I apologise for wasting everybody's time.

16. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I TOLD YOU mate.

I am Bi Polar do not ask a 3rd time.

1. What profiles are you talking about you want to save ???

ELEVATED ONES ?

If they are elevated just save them ( PRESS EXPORT in MENU )

2. OTHERWISE just UNINSTALL YOUR GRAPHICS DRIVER from add/remove programs, reboot , cancel driver message then REINSTALL your DRIVER

THAT RESETS ALL NVIDA INSPECTOR PROFILES .................ok

After you start NV Inspector then IMPORT your saved "elevated" profiles again.

I DO NOT use Geforce experience all I ever install is the actual driver.

Never had a issue with quality .................

Oh apart from
    :rolleyes:

17. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

Durge - can you post a screen that looks better on that place on that track with those cars at 1 pm?

18. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

looked like there was no mipmap level ......... check the writing on rear of cars in front of him ( you can't even read it ! ) :)

[​IMG]

That guy says that is normal ...........please lool

The colours are not right, midday BS.

It is just horrendously terrible HDR

see the fps he is getting at Limerock with a GTX660 ? 127 on grid ?

Doesn't seem a bit high to anyone ? really ?

that because there is no quality involved and the LOD is set wrong.

19. Sling Dash

Sling Dash Registered

I was trying to save profiles for all my other games/sims in nVidia CP. No option to do so there (that I can see), and that's where all my other games'/sims' profiles are saved, so wanted to back those up before I deleted/reset/re-downloaded/updated nVidia drivers.

I've set NV Inspector back to dafault for everything. Not bothered about using Inspector TBH. Have never used it before for anything, and had no troubles - until now.

I think it's probably just how RF2 is supposed to be. Thanks very much for the replies though folks. Sorry to have wasted your time if I have.

20. Minibull

Minibull Member

I'd post a screenshot, but it's nearly 2am here XD

Seriously, I am sure mine doesn't look like that. Something is all screwy with the colours, really weird looking.