Graphics improvements suggestions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hamiltonfan2205, Nov 16, 2014.

1. tjc

tjc Registered

Your right as long as you are saying that. It`s beyond my capabilities to do many things but I`m saying that... if other people were to say it, it may well come across as offensive.

If the ISI graphics guys came on here and said getting the graphics better was beyond their abilities then that would be fine but for others to say it (the way it came across) could easily be offensive imo.

2. tjc

tjc Registered

Things are not getting worse, they may have taken several steps backwards but they will come back and I have plenty faith in the ISI graphics department doing that...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Doesn't work like that unless we start screwing with words, all together. What the guy said it's like suggesting a sound engineer to take the job of an architect and suggest that architect to move on electronics. This is a total nonsense, unless he weren't suggesting to move the entire ISI graphic manpower to physics, but just to fire them all and let do the job to someone else...which is an insult, big one. In both scenario the actual ISI graphics compartment just stop working for his own expertise field to be excluded or moved into something they are not used to work with.

Option A) Fire the entire ISI graphics compartment and move the job to modders - INSULT and NONSENSE
    Option B) Move the ISI graphics compartment to physics compartment - NONSENSE

That's plain logic for me, doesn't matter the language... and offensive or not it is something completely pointless.

Funny is I'm reading lot of compliments to latest Tosch tunings which are all running on actual builds so, again, you have to decide what you want to communicate because most of the time I see people picking the worse to prove the premise. And behind all of that, what Tosch is saying is not what you're trying to put in his mouth, he's just asking few improvements to the specular compartment and the HDR pipeline.

4. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

Things are not getting worse they are just taking steps backwards? Sorry that makes no sense... But i hope you are right about the second part.

5. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I had lovely HDR in my F3 Eve at Historics tracks the first builds

From then it went downhill.

It has looked crap for ages and ages.

I have no doubts ........one day they will fix it again.

Makes sense to me.

6. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

I think you are wrong about about that. He is literally saying that things have mostly changed to the worse since May 28, 2013. specular reflection, self shadowing of trees etc.

7. yusupov

yusupov Registered

thats horrible to find out...i took a break for a bit & when i came back to rf2 it wasnt as i remembered. and as DD said, the historic track esp looked bad, i recall it really looking fantastic, rf2 had a great late '60s film/photo look. no it wasnt like 'reality' but it was unique & looked great. i figured (still am hoping) it was just my memory playing tricks or i havent gotten the track/time/weather combo.

id really rather these kind of things stayed available but were turned off by default & came with a "WARNING" about the performance hit.

8. yusupov

yusupov Registered

i meant to clarify, i didnt have any of the early builds DD mentions; i didnt come on board till 660, so if there havent been changes since my mistake.

9. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

edit:
    Mate build 60 was pristine Historics HDR looked awesome.

------------

Or your new video, card, a driver , some settings you missed ......

Yeah i went through that till I resigned myself....

Look it is the same thing with the windscreen, when they introduced new cars and a build it went mottled.

Then they added tyre buildup then they removed it.

But you know what ?

In all that time the Eve , she just feels better and better and better ..........

What else matters ???

That is what any sim should be about , not pretty perfect graphics......... but the heart and soul.

Deep DD ......... loool :)

----------------------------

HDR, gaps in my Evie wheel and rim , blue holes in map.............

IT ALL KIND OF SLIDES INTO INSIGNIFICANCE...............in the big scheme of things.

Hope you all undertood that.

10. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Imagine you just wrote a sentence in perfect English... no errors, nothing to put a finger on.
    Someone then says "well, English is obviously above your capability"... Hmm.

Even if you wrote a sentence that was 99,9 percent correct, with maybe just a comma in the wrong place...
    That same delightful guy still says that writing in English is above your capability.

Cut short: it was an offensive remark.

11. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I was just playing with a bunch of random sliders in dev-mode. You can make rF2 look pretty freaking fantastic in dev-mod, holy crap!!!

12. Eduard Mallorquí

Eduard Mallorquí Banned

I don't remember any big improvements regarding graphics for the last X years, the game still looks pretty bad compared to the competence, so maybe it's time for a change.

13. stonec

stonec Registered

Yep, you can see this "old" HDR in effect in ISI video below. Looked quite good even before the first public beta (November 2011).

14. blakboks

blakboks Registered

I think most people assume that software engineers are just that, and it doesn't matter if they're implementing physics, game logitc, net code, UI, or graphics engine. In my experience, I've seen engineers move around a bit within the studio.

If I recall correctly, very few (if any) of the suggestions/complaints in this thread have been about the content side. In fact, we ARE seeing improvement in that regard, in no small part, I'm sure, thanks to your work (that's no slight on Luc's or Scott's work, either, btw; since I have no idea who's done what). I don't think anyone was suggesting that the artists start coding physics, etc.

15. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

" Dat wot I talkin' abouts stonec " p

Magic ;)

and I did it with a GTX460 and 48fps on Spa grid............

and I was happy !!!

Still happy mind you .................

:)

16. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

:rolleyes:

17. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Glad you could pitch in. Always man for giving food for thought... :rolleyes:

18. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

How the heck did you get what I said as a suggestion to "fire" everybody or re-assign people to departments they're not qualified to work in?
    I find your response most offensive Tuttle...regardless of if you work for ISI or not.
    I never stated you could not do your job.
    I simply stated that it may be time to sub-contract some of the cars and other graphics content to reduce the workload as other developers have done.
    That is not unreasonable in the least.
    Rf2 has been talked about for almost nine years.
    The issues being dealt with at this point should not even be there...if you want to get real and honest.
    Build 880 has presented more issues than it's predecessor...why is it unreasonable to think the workload is a bit heavy?

19. stonec

stonec Registered

Same video compared to build 880. I can see many things that are better in pre-beta than current build (hint: tunnel), but I let the viewer decide.

20. tjc

tjc Registered

Ok, I could have worded that better.

What I`m saying is things are not getting worse never to be fixed again. Some things that were working/looking good in rf2 have taken some steps backwards and maybe no longer work as they once did. Some things still need to be done/improved etc...

Whatever... all I`m really saying is that I have every faith in the ISI guys having the abilities to do that... why wouldn`t I, after all they did it in the first place, no?

And for it to be mentioned that this aspect should be "farmed" out to others to do is as Tuttle says, either nonsense or offensive.